• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

bluearmy

Youth Team
League One - The Times Online

September 05, 2005

Lawson header puts Oldham into decline
By Bill Edgar
Southend United 2 Oldham Athletic 1

THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE HEADED straight past Roots Hall en route to Southend seafront yesterday and Ronnie Moore could have done with a sea breeze as he suffered and sweltered in the dug-out. Managers tend to avoid criticising individual players in public but the Oldham Athletic manager was too hot and bothered to stick to convention.
“It was the most inept 45 minutes that I’ve seen us play,” Moore said, referring to a first half that left his side two goals down, but he was soon talking in specifics. Eight of his starting line-up were targeted and his mood suggested that it was only a shortage of time that prevented him running through the deficiencies of the other three.

Moore claimed James Lawson, the 18-year-old Southend striker making his first start, was allowed an easy header to score the opening goal. “I would have scored that,” he said. “I blame the centre backs. Gareth Owen was slashing at balls, Rob Scott was slashing at balls.”

The full backs were no better, he said, with Terrell Forbes castigated for allowing Mitchell Cole, the left winger, to cut inside and cross for Mark Gower to head home the second goal just before half-time. “Mitchell Cole was the matchwinner — we said he would be before the game,” Moore said. “But Forbes allowed the lad to come inside and Marc Tierney wants locking up. He’s been caught sleeping at the back post.”

Moore was not finished. “(Paul) Edwards had a great opportunity with the change to 4-4-2 and he disappointed. We’re not a team full of kids, we’ve got experienced players, but people like (Andy) Liddell and (Paul) Warne offered nothing,” he said. Warne, a striker, did have an excuse, however. “I didn’t think (Chris) Killen helped him or complemented him.”

Southend had impressed in the opening period but Moore, whose side are widely expected to challenge for promotion, was reluctant to credit them. “We should be coming to places like this and steamrollering teams. If we had been playing against a top-notch side we would have been dead and buried. Some of the players thought they just had to turn up to win.”

The verdict was harsh on Southend, who, after promotion last season, recorded a second successive victory to reinforce their position in the top half of Coca-Cola League One. “It’s been a really good start,” Gower, the right winger, said. “I do not think we could have hoped for much more.”

Lawson, who has yet to win a professional contract, showed he could compete, holding the ball up well and winning several headers aside from the one from which he scored after Cole’s chip in the eleventh minute. “I’m still in the youth team,” he said. “It’s so hard in this weather. I started to get cramp after 60 minutes.”

Southend, prompted in midfield by Maher 8, their captain, struck the crossbar from a header by Shaun Goater in the first half but they were forced to hang on after the interval as Oldham belatedly found their feet. Even so, the visiting team had barely created a second-half chance until they were revived by a double substitution with a quarter of the match left.

Oldham pulled a goal back, Killen laying the ball back for Richie Wellens to sidefoot it into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area. But Liddell and Chris Porter, one of the substitutes, both fired over and Moore was left with regrets. “I was embarrassed to be the manager of Oldham Athletic,” he said.

-------------------
Telegraph
Oldham manager Ronnie Moore castigated his side yesterday for "inept" defending that allowed James Lawson to celebrate his debut for Southend by scoring one goal and creating the other.

"We couldn't have been any worse than in the first 45 minutes," said Moore, who refused to let the absences of key players or an enforced change of system (4-3-3 to 4-4-2) serve as excuses.

"We may have had a makeshift defence but I don't want to be put in that position again," he said. "No one earned their corn. I was embarrassed to be their manager. Against a top-notch side we'd have been dead and buried at half-time."

As it was, Oldham trailed by only two goals at that stage, with Mitchell Cole supplying the crosses that led to Lawson's strike after nine minutes and Mark Gower's header at the far post on the stroke of half-time - after Shaun Goater had seen one of his own headers hit the crossbar.

It might have been worse for Oldham before they struck back in the 69th minute, Richie Wellens firing in their first goal in four games from 20 yards.

Match details

Southend (4-4-2): Flahavan; Hunt, Edwards, Barrett, Wilson; Gower, Maher, Guttridge, Cole (Smith 78); Lawson (Bentley 70), Goater (Prior 89). Subs: Griemink (g), Jupp. Goals: Lawson (11), Gower (45).
Oldham (4-4-2): Day; Forbes, Scott, Owen, Tierney; Liddell, Bonner (Butcher 84), Wellens, Edwards (Ayres 67); Killen, Warne (Porter 67). Subs: Poke (g), Hughes. Goal: Bonner (69). Booked: Tierney.

Referee: N Miller (Durham).

----------
Sounds like Mr Moore isn't getting to grips with reality eh?

1) "We should be coming to places like this and steamrollering teams. If we had been playing against a top-notch side we would have been dead and buried." - well you were 2-0 down at half-time Ronnie. And you're actually below us in the league, so we should be "steamrollering" you shouldn't we??

2) Then actually naming and shaming almost every player - well that will do their confidence the world of good. To be honest they were useless for the opening 45 minutes, but we played some fantastic stuff and defended very well in the second period. No praise from an opposing manager stinks of sour grapes. Yeh, so Oldham were everyone's favourites to go up - if they carry on getting lambasted by their manager, expect him to go, them to be relegated or both!

3) “I was embarrassed to be the manager of Oldham Athletic,” - well get lost then!

"IF WE WERE PLAYING A TOP NOTCH SIDE WE WOUL BE DEAD AND BURIED BY HALF TIME"
I wonder if these words will come back to haunt mr Moore like they did to Kieth alexander last year?
rock.gif

The Sun also has a nice picture of Lawson heading his goal. But, on the League One top scorers they've managed to include the Goater who plays for Swansea instead of the one that plays for Southend!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Read Moore's comments in The Times this morning. Whilst it was good to see such a big report - and a pic of Lawson scoring - I was a tad disappointed that the story focused so much on Moore's whingeing.

Sour grapes Ronnie, sour grapes....

Its funny how opposition managers keep saying they outplayed us, yet we still keep doing well against them...

Funny how no-one gives us any credit for our performances, isn't it? Perhaps these established 'big' clubs don't like the idea of being beaten by 'little' Southend, who after all only came up via the playoffs so are therefore sh*t.
tounge.gif

I remember reading a season preview (was it the BBC's?) that said we'd surprise a few teams this season. Well, we're surprising them already, and they don't much like it! Long may we continue to irritate people like Jackson and Moore by taking points off them....

There's no doubt that Moore is an arrogant sod. But if he were the manager of your club then, as a fan, you'd be pretty chuffed to have him bigging up your club.

Essentially, he's trying to create the mindset amongst the home fans, home players and media (and, perhaps, in the opposition's minds as well) that Oldham are a big club and that you should expect to lose to them. He's basically trying to create a half-a-goal's head start for his side - and you can't blame him for doing that.

Of course, he will win no popularity contests amongst away fans and neutrals... but (like Warnock at Sheff Utd), why should he care about that?

rock.gif

Equally, however, Tilly believes enough in himself and his players to have the confidence to go out and show Moore up for the fraud that he is. He can talk his players up all he likes, but when they go out and play like the shower of sh*t that they did yesterday, then no one - least of all Tilly & his players - is going to be fooled.

Oldham, supposed "big club" (which is actually a myth; they were just very successful under Joe Royle), got precisely what they deserved yesterday - nul points; and it's very satisfying to send the chippy Moore back home with the best response possible: his words rammed firmly down his throat.

laugh.gif

This makes Ronnie Moore sound like a t%&t!!

"Southend had impressed in the opening period but Moore, whose side are widely expected to challenge for promotion, was reluctant to credit them. “We should be coming to places like this and steamrollering teams. If we had been playing against a top-notch side we would have been dead and buried. Some of the players thought they just had to turn up to win.”

was reluctant to credit them - Because he knows we were so much better than they were!

The irony is, concerning Moore's comment, that but for the intervention of the crossbar, Oldham would have been totally dead & buried, at 3-0 down at half-time...

rock.gif
oops.gif

Moore's comment, along the lines of 'the players only thought they had to turn up to win', was for me, encouraging.

Why? Well, after being one of the bigger clubs in Division Two and putting up with several years of so-called lesser sides coming to Roots Hall with everyone behind the ball, we're now getting teams arriving keen to attack and wrap up an easy win.

Which is all the much better for us - it'll be a whole lot easier to break teams down & score goals when they've got players committed forward.

For instance, the Col******r game, all three goals scored on the break.

I thought that the encouraging thing about all this is that a team like Oldham can be disappointed at losing to us, because they think that they will be up there at the end of the season, yet how many of the Oldham players would you swap for players in our first-choice XI?

Wellens is quality but so are Maher & Guttridge. And I can't think of anyone else I'd take. Bodes well for us if we can avoid injuries.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Sep. 05 2005,20:39)]I tghought that the encouraging thing about all this is that a team like Oldham can be disappointed at losing to us, because they think that they will be up there ar the end of the season, yet how many of the Oldham players would you swap for players in our first-choice XI?

Wellens is quality but so are Maher & Guttridge. And I can't think of anyone else I'd take. Bodes well for us if we can avoid injuries.
Damn right.

Looking at the two teams, I couldn't see much difference in quality between the two sides in most positions in the team.

So far (apart from the first half vs. Port Vale) no-one has given us a footballing lesson or completely outclassed us, which is a good sign.

I'd take Wellens because he is a goalscoring midfielder and probably the larger of their strikers because he coped admirably with the, at times, continual long ball asssault but also had a nice touch on him. Porter was it?

Definitely wouldn't take their left back. If people thought Che had a bad game...well...

laugh.gif

Well i used to think Ronnie Moore Was a decent manager... not after reading that.
1. How can he say that oldham should steam roll teams like us? I thought they were the worst team we have played so far this season.
2. Talk about put the whole team down, not very good for confidence. Especially if he does that after every game they lose.

Back