• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Albion suffered a New Year hang over at Roots Hall where they were hammered by bottom of the table Southend handing the basement side all 3 points. Down by 3 at the interval the Baggies were unable to get back into the game and failed to build on John Hartson's second-half goal.

Monday 1 January 2007
Championship

Southend United 3 (3)
Campbell-Ryce (11, 28)
Hunt (41)
Albion 1 (0)
Harston (64)
Attendance: 9,907

Its been 36 years since my first Albion game, a 6-2 defeat at Arsenal, my second was a 5-0 defeat at Spurs in the LC and then 1-3 at Chelsea, soon followed by relegation. It was a good grounding because it taught me at an early age that supporting a football team is not all about glory,far from it in fact, its mostly about defeats on wet cold days that make you feel like crap. Once you start to understand that, and learn to deal with it, it makes the good times something special.

I'm from Essex, Basildon originally but Southend since 1975. In the late 70's I'd sometimes go to Roots Hall on a Friday night, Southend were always in the old 3rd or 4th division then, if they put a few passes together everybody got excited. I never cared whether they won or lost, why should I, I don't believe in 2nd teams,you can only love one. In fact I'd often sympathise with the away fans who'd made a long journey down from Oldham, Crewe, or Grimsby. Then on the Saturday I'd go and watch a bloody good Albion team, the gulf was vast.

Yes I know football changes, I'm glad Southend won promotion last season, the smaller clubs doing well is what footballs all about, the romance and all that. But didn't you just know what would happen today? Southend haven't won at home for ages, they were 8 points adrift, we have a great squad at this level, so IT HAD TO HAPPEN, COZ IT'S ALBION!! Why are we poor away?

Because we don't have ball winners, its not rocket science is it? At home most opposition sit back so we're okay, but away they come at us and we don't put a foot in. Today was a replay of Sheff Wed a few weeks ago, the game effectively over at half time. Sure we come out all guns blazing in the second half, but why don't we START WITH THAT PASSION AND DETERMINATION? Probably because we over rate ourselves and under rate the opposition. We think we can just stroll around and pass casually to each other until the opposition realise we're the great West Bromwich Albion and give up. In the real world however, the opposition knock us about a bit, show more urgency and suddenly, shock horror, we 0-2 down and its game over.

My Brother supports Southend, we haven't spoken yet, I've got that to look forward to. But he told me a long time ago that Campbell Ryce was annoying because he'll beat 2/3 players but then do something silly. However,I've seen him on TV when Southend beat Man U and drew at Luton and I thought he looked good in both games. Players like him scare me when the play against us, why couldn't my Brother be right about him, just for today at least? He scored 2 identical goals, both low shots from 20 yards while our powder puff defence stood watching him and low shots are the Achilles heel of old man Holte. I sat there thinking, "its gonna be 3 or 4 by H/T, I just know it is, I've seen it all before"

We don't have players who take responsibility when we go behind, we have players who appear to blame each other. Do you see ANY Albion players with clenched fists, shouting at the others? I don't and that's what we need in games like this, Mowbray must see that, we need one or two players LIKE HIM.

I'm not gonna slag off each player, but what I haven't understood for some time, including during Robson's reign, is Greening's roll in the team. He seems to have got it into his head that he's some sort of midfield playmaker, but IMO he's virtually ineffective unless he plays out wide, that's when he's at his best. He gets hassled off the ball far to easily in games like this because he hasn't got the time or space he needs, out wide he does, and he puts in a good cross.

For some strange reason I still think we'll win promotion this season, I like Mowbray and I think he'll sort it out. I've read a lot of criticism of our support over the last few weeks, but I thought it was excellent today particularly in the second half when 0-3 behind. Of course people get angry, nobody more than me today, but I always think if you don't get angry or disappointed, why are you there?

Depressed, from Southend.

Lots of patronising drivel in between the odd decent comment. It sort of goes along with one Albion player's assertion that "we are the Manchester United of the Championship." I take it he didn't realise we beat them as well.

No sympathy for anyone who moans about losing just because they think their team has a divine right to win.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (royfox @ Jan. 02 2007,15:03)]Yeh, Albion: 'Who are ya? Who are ya?'
exactly on shaking hands at the end of the game. Hartson and Barrett, Hartson had to physically turn Barrett around to see who he was shaking hands with.

My dad's comments that "for years, West Brom were consistently midtable of the top flight. Every year, midtable" seems to speak volumes about their expectations. They're quite clearly Aston Villa of yester-year

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Jan. 02 2007,11:54)]Southend haven't won at home for ages, they were 8 points adrift, we have a great squad at this level, so IT HAD TO HAPPEN, COZ IT'S ALBION!! Why are we poor away?
Dont get me wrong, it was a good win for us but lets face it WBA's away form stinks, you havent won in nearly 3 months on the road so it can hardly be put down as a total shock result.

Plus doesnt beating Southampton count as a win these days ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (basics @ Jan. 02 2007,15:24)]
[b said:
exactly on shaking hands at the end of the game. Hartson and Barrett, Hartson had to physically turn Barrett around to see who he was shaking hands with.
Maybe he wa so impressed by him that he then told his manager to buy him..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Jan. 02 2007,16:38)]
[b said:
[b said:
Thats the way it looked. He shook hands with him, then grabbed him by the shoulders to see what his name was. Thought Barrett was going to give him a glasgow kiss, looked a bit confused.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Jan. 02 2007,16:38)]
[b said:
[b said:
Nah, we don't need that useless lump.

biggrin.gif

Back