• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 3-2 Hartlepool

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Mildy 7.5 Did well, kept fighting, couldn't do much about goals
Francis 7 Good going forward, ok defensively
Sankofa 5.5 Could have given away a late pen for handball, poor, looked out of place
Clarke 8 Had a lot to do and fought hard, did well, good tackling
Barrett 7.5 Went forward too much at the end, did well when needed
Scannell 7 Drifted in too much again, positional sense is poor but fantastic piece of play early on
Macca 7.5 Kept fighting, some good passes, good tackling, was up for a fight
Granty 8 MOTM Fought hard throughout, fantastic tackling, too deep at times
Moussa 7.5 One of the best goal I have seen at the Hall but didn't do much else, few odd good moments
Theo 7.5 Greediness nearly cost us the 3rd goal, wanted the pen so didn't pass to Barney, should have done better with 1 on 1s
Barney 6.5 Quiet, did ok, poor pen was lucky and stupid booking, needs to control temper

Dougie 7 Ran around a lot
Betsy 7 Did he touch it?

Tilly 6 Should have made a sub earlier, I would have put Laurent on for Barney about 10 mins before and instead of Dougie and JFC at the same time but instead of Betsy

Ref 8 No choice for red or pen, could have given another red or two to the dirty, cheating, northern scum, lost control at end

TBV 8.5 Fantastic at times, good throughout

Last edited:
Francis 7.5 Good going forward, ok defensively
Dougie 7 Ran around a lot
Ref 8 No choice for red or pen, could have given another red or two to the dirty, cheating, northern scum, lost control at end
Would have to disagree there, Dougie didn't really make much of an impact on the game, Francis was poor, didn't do us any favours in defence and I thought the ref was an outrage.

Apart from them points, agree with you fully.

Would have to disagree there, Dougie didn't really make much of an impact on the game, Francis was poor, didn't do us any favours in defence and I thought the ref was an outrage.

Apart from them points, agree with you fully.

Agree with you on Dougie, thought Francis was average defensively, got skinned once or twice but was ok at the back and apart from asking both lino's and losing control I thought he was good, a few more cards and he would have had it under control, wouldn't complain having him again

Got to say, against 10 men for most of the game we were pretty inept. Dorian was missed tremendously and once again we looked dodgy under any high balls. Sankofa even committed the ultimate sin as a central defender in the first half. Bottling out of a header and letting the ball bounce whilst surrounded by orange men. I guess a win is a win but they had no right to keep us on the edge of our seats like that for the last half hour!

mildy 6 average display from the keeper. Didnt look as confident as we are used to
francis 7 No complaints with franny. Looked pacy and composed
sankofa 5 poor display at what i was led to believe was his prefered position.
clarke 8 pick of the back again. will be sorry to see him go
barrett 5 looking a bit cumbersome at the moment but spirit carries him through...just. was badly at fault for thier second.
scannel 6 contributed reasonablt well 1st half but went out of the game 2nd
macca 7 tough as old boots till that sniper got him again
grant.7 in a good vein of form at the moment just needs to not let it go to his head with dangerous tricks
moussa 6 thats for the goal which looked great..but for the rest of the game looked a liability. continually drifting infield leaving barret few options down the left. his passing was generally p1ss poor either over hit or mis placed.
theo 7 always a threat with his pace and had to make up for barnards lack of presence for most of the game.
barnard 5 ive been singing his praises of late but tonight he had a shocker.

Quite generous there. Grant is a frustrating player, one good tackle, the next he lazily gives the ball away. Nicky Bailey he is not.
Frankly we defender exactly how I thought we would with that back 4. Absolutely imperative in the summer we look for a like for like replacement for Dervitte, and also sign Theo up. Yes he misssed a chance at the end but he is a million times more effective than Barney.

Moussa 7 One of the best goal I have seen at the Hall but didn't do much else
Apart from setting up the other two goals and being ever present in the midfield, taking the ball and giving it back, finding space. I'll let you have your opinion of course, but for me Moussa was everywhere.

Mildenhall - 6 - A bit shaky today, but still a quality keeper for our level.
Francis 6.5 - Didn't quite do it for me, got skinned a couple of times. Nice crosses still
Sanks - 6 - Clearly not a centre back to me, lucky not to have given away a penalty at the end.
Clarke - 7 - Didn't do anything wrong, just his normal game, lacked Dervite at the back though.
Barrett - 7 - Same as Clarke really. Nothing spectacular, did his job.
Scannell - 7 - Looked good to me, ran at the defenders, looked for the space. Gave away the penalty but other than that his best appearance in the blue shirt for me.
Grant - 7.5 - Dominated the midfield for me, maybe a generous 7.5 but he did play well and won some quality tackles, came away with the ball when it was needed.
Macca - 8 - Seems to be back to his best. Quality performance.
Moussa - 9 - Insane performance from the Belge. Absolutely fantastic goal, had a great view of it, sublime pace, confidence and control and a quality finish, best goal I've seen in a long time. Add that to two assists, and generally dominating the attacking midfield area, sleek touches that stuck to his foot and doing all the little bits right, didn't put a foot wrong. Oh and I backed him to score before the game.
Theo - 8 - Another good performance from the lad, he's so quick. Fair play to him on his goal, should have scored beforehand but got back at it and knocked it in.
Barnard - 7 - No quarms over his effort levels, clearly still a good/quality striker at this level, just didn't quite work out for him today. Good link up play albeit a dodgy first touch, and pretty lucky with the penalty, but he did score.

subs:
Freedman - 6.5 - Didn't have a chance to impact the game, never really got going.
Besty - 6.5 - Didn't notice him much whilst he was on the field.

Mildenhall - 6.5
Francis - 6.5
Sankofa - 6
Clarke - 6.5
Barrett - 7
Scannell - 7
Grant - 8.5 (motm)
McCormack - 7.5
Moussa - 7.5
Robinson - 8
Barnard - 6.5

Subs:
Freedman - 6
betsy: 6

Apart from setting up the other two goals and being ever present in the midfield, taking the ball and giving it back, finding space. I'll let you have your opinion of course, but for me Moussa was everywhere.

apart from where he should have been! plenty of times 2nd half barrett had no passing options open to him due to moussa drifting to the centre mid.

In my opinion the back 4 should have been:
Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Herd
Or at least Herd on the bench to give us an option. Thought Sankofa was poor at CB, Francis couldn't produce the same form as Saturday and Barrett should have been CB with Clarke. I know both Clarke and Barrett are better with different defenders but those 2 together are better than Sankofa was

apart from where he should have been! plenty of times 2nd half barrett had no passing options open to him due to moussa drifting to the centre mid.
90% of the time when we were on the ball he was in the space, but our midfield didn't pick him out.

Quality performance from the lad, hearing him on the radio was odd though, forgot he's from the Belge.

His best performance this year for me, really bulked out. Wasn't a massive fan last year, but come on leaps and bounds so far this, fantastic stuff.

Mildenhall 7.5
Francis 7
Sankofa 5.5
Clarke 8
Barrett 7.5
Scannell 7
Macca 7.5
Granty 8.5 MOTM
Moussa 7.5
Theo 7.5
Barney 6.5

Dougie 6.5 Ran around a lot
Betsy 6.5 Did he touch it?

Well done to TBV, much louder but usually from a few fans. Someone doesn't make a perfect control or makes a poor pass and he is classed as crap and useless. The guy in front of me blamed Scannell for everything bad that happened! He loved it when he came off for Betsy and then started on Betsy!

A message to parents. If you want to bring your kids then please keep them under control, thank you.

Am I alone in thinking the massive collapse was down to the comical calamity performance of Barrett and Clarke consistently going for the same ball in defence in the 2nd half, combined with the ineptitude of Sankofa at CB? Dear, oh dear.

I thought Moussa did well for both the penalty and for his goal but other than that was pretty ineffective, and Scannell concerns me as he just doesn't seem to be able to play any other way than by being an individual rather than a team player. Grant and Macca carried the midfield and either of them deserved MotM, the choice of Scannell was quite ridiculous.

Mildenhall - 6, poor I thought, misjudged a couple of things and didn't look confident
Franno - 7, did ok on the whole, some lovely stuff but also some poor passing
Sankofa - 6, NOT a CB
Clarke - 7.5, missed DD badly but took charge
Barrett - 6, looked like an oggy from our seats, not a good performance
Scannell - 6, powerful surging runs but a complete inability to consider anyone else, unlucky to concede the penalty
Macca - 8, some great stuff from Macca, I hope the doubters are all now satisfied - he was right about the lino too!
Grant - 8, broke up loads of stuff in the middle and went forward convincingly, but often misplaced passes
Moussa - 7, fantastic goal and tackled more than I usually notice
Barney - 6, weak penalty kick but at least it went in
Theo - 7.5, never gave up, scored and should have had a hat trick really

Subs: Freedman for Barney - 6, went through an extensive warm up, Dougie is better starting and being subbed imo, did next to nothing
Betsy for Scannell - 6, looked strong in the challenge but didn't really do anything

Officials - 4, bottled it big time, at least two more of their players should have been sent off for disgraceful challenges, the no. 11 and the no. 5 (I think)

TBV - 9, well done guys, you kept it going and there were a couple of times we had the whole stadium with us - great drumming (Smiffy? Scamps?).

Hartlepool - dirty buggers, filth and that **** Nardiello too!

Last edited:

How you can only give him a 6 is a joke. Firstly the lad is only 19/20 years of age. He scored a great goal, and 2 quality assists for Robinson to get the penalty and for Robinson to score our 3rd. His passing was 1st class with only 1 or 2 miss placed passes but the rest came off really well. He also won alot in the air or atleast put his opponent off which is good for someone of his fairly small height. As for him driffing inside alot was encouraged by the fact that Scannel often pushed up as a 3rd striker, this could be afforded as Hartlepool were down to ten men, so Moussa was then making up a 3 man central midfield and the width came from Francis and Barrett pushing up from full back. I wasnt really a Moussa fan before christmas as last season I thought he wasnt all that and at the start of the season he looked less than average. However after his loan spell at Wycombe he has been class and surely due to the fact Belgium are not world beaters will soon go on to represent his country at U21 level if not at full level. Man of the Match by a mile.

I think some people must have been watching through rose tinted specs. Against ten men you let the ball do the work. Showboating at 2-0 up and 40 yards passes when ten yard triangles are the obvious option turned what should have been a comfortable victory into a shockingly depressing night apart. I suppose 10 from 13 and still an outside chance of the play-offs is a positive as is proof that without TWO decent centre halves we are shafted.

Mildy 6 Average
Francis 6 Average
Sankofa 5 Why not right back with Franno in the centre
Clarke 7.5 Pick of the bunch - whatever he wants for a contract is worth every penny
Barrett 5.5 Four year contract my arse Captain my arse. Basically arse. NOT good enough
Scannell 6 Wildly inconsistent a weak penalty but why was the nudge needed anyway ?
Macca 7 No complaints other than his theatrics
Granty 7 some crucial tackles at just the right times
Moussa 6.5 Great goal, otherwise spent most of the second half hiding
Theo 6.5 Has played better but poor service didn't help
Barney 4 waste of space, needless booking,

Dougie - one sublime touch, not enough time
Betsy - Not enough time

Mildenhall - 6, made an amazing save which ended up being offside, apart from that had little to do, was he at fault for the second? I thought he had the ball covered then next I look round to see the ball in the net.

Francis - 7, good going forward and ok at the back, not as great in the second half, put some good balls in.

Sankofa - 5.5, prefer him at right back, sure he will be ok as cover for centre back, he hasn't played in this position for a while has he?

Clarke - 7.5, good tackling and heading, a player on top of his form.

Barrett - 6.5, I agree at times he needed Moussas help a bit more, good defensively and ok going forward. Always up for the game!

Scanell - 7.5, could kind of see where they were coming from with the motm, I don't agree though. When the lad has the ball at his feet he rarely looses it, they only seemed to be threatened by us when he was running at them. Part from that he needs to work on his positioning.

Mccormack - 7.5, Solid performence again from Macca, one bit of typical Macca play with a quick turn and shot nearly produced a goal, good tackling and passing, maybe should have given an 8 but I cant be bothered to go back and change it.

Grant - 7.5, good tackling and passing was ok, does the defensive midfielder role well and lets Macca get forward a bit more, if they could work on this a bit more then we could have a full time partnership on our hands.

Moussa - 8 Motm, Brilliant goal, apparently 2 assists? good passing, who ever said he was a liability, cant agree there! Crossing could have been better for me, a couple of times he made good chances but wasted them with crap balls into the middle.

Barnard - 6.5, weak penalty, started brightly but faded as the game went on, tried hard as usual and wanted the ball.

Robinson - 7, for the goal, should have got more though.

Tilson - 6.5, seemed worried to make subs?

Betsy and Freedman both get a 6

Ref - 6, wasn't the best and some things he got wrong. Sankofa blatently handled in the box!

I think some people must have been watching through rose tinted specs. Against ten men you let the ball do the work. Showboating at 2-0 up and 40 yards passes when ten yard triangles are the obvious option turned what should have been a comfortable victory into a shockingly depressing night apart. I suppose 10 from 13 and still an outside chance of the play-offs is a positive as is proof that without TWO decent centre halves we are shafted.

Mildy 6 Average
Francis 6 Average
Sankofa 5 Why not right back with Franno in the centre
Clarke 7.5 Pick of the bunch - whatever he wants for a contract is worth every penny
Barrett 5.5 Four year contract my arse Captain my arse. Basically arse. NOT good enough
Scannell 6 Wildly inconsistent a weak penalty but why was the nudge needed anyway ?
Macca 7 No complaints other than his theatrics
Granty 7 some crucial tackles at just the right times
Moussa 6.5 Great goal, otherwise spent most of the second half hiding
Theo 6.5 Has played better but poor service didn't help
Barney 4 waste of space, needless booking,

Dougie - one sublime touch, not enough time
Betsy - Not enough time

Not sure what game you were watching mate but I thought Barnard tock the penalty and don't have clue what the nudge bit is about! Robinson had good service but his one on ones should have been better.

Most entertaining game of the season so far, and come the end we were a bit fortunate to come away with the win. Credit to Hartlepool who at 2-0 down could have just shut up shop and played for pride, but they had a go at us. We had enough chances to kill them before they made us sweat.

Mildy 6 - Came and missed a few times and really should have cut out the cross for the 2nd goal.

Francis 7 - At times looked fantastic but he keeps switching off
Barrett 7 - Looks a bit lost on the left, should have done better with his 2nd half header.
Clarke 8 - Best defender tonight, don't recall him putting a foot wrong.
Sankofa 6 - Didn't really notice him to be fair.

Scannell 7 - He is a confidence player and as such needs the ball. Outrageously good at times, lost at others.
McCormack 8 - The Macca of last season is back.... love his shot that went for a throw.
Grant 7.5 - Some real quality tackling in there tonight, but again, too many stray balls.
Moussa 9 - Best player on the park. Goal of the season. He has come of age!

Robinson 7 - Blistering pace won us the penalty, but he should have claimed a hat-trick of more tonight.
Barnard 6 - Looks out of sorts and a bit lightweight.

Subs

Freedman 6 - Showed a few touches of class, but needs a start
Betsy 6 - Not on long enough to do anything.

Referee. He didn't have a bad game. He tried to let it flow and wasn't afraid to wait to pull out cards. The last 5 minutes were a bit mad, but badly let down by his linesman at the end when it went off.

Not sure what game you were watching mate but I thought Barnard tock the penalty and don't have clue what the nudge bit is about! Robinson had good service but his one on ones should have been better.

I'm talking about the needless one we gave away - agreed on Robinson one on ones. When you play 11 against 10 I fail to see the need to take a player on. Very frustrating

Scanners gave away the pen for nudging him over!! :stupid:

Back