• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

smudgster

Coach
Before the game against Gillingham i and several others will be handing out fliers advertising a march through southend protesting against the government cuts and the attack on the welfare state.

These cuts will affect everybody including SUFC who will be hit by the knock on affect of people losing their jobs and less money flowing around in the local economy.

Anyone coming along would be greatly appreciated.

Meet at 12.00 noon at peir hill on saturday the 12th of march.

Before the game against Gillingham i and several others will be handing out fliers advertising a march through southend protesting against the government cuts and the attack on the welfare state.

These cuts will affect everybody including SUFC who will be hit by the knock on affect of people losing their jobs and less money flowing around in the local economy.

Not the best day as most of Southend will in Lincoln that day.

thanks for that.

Just realised this topic should probably have been in the polotics forum. apologies.

Will you be setting out the economic implications of not eliminating the structual deficit? I presume that will be on the reverse of the flyer?

Presumably to be done over two terms rather than just the one.:winking:Remember it took a lot longer than that to repay WW2 debt.

I haven't been following this at all, but it's surely the yearly budget deficit that they'll be proposing to close in one/two terms?

The actual mountain of debt inherited from Labour will, like WWII, still take decades to pay off. Until the yearly budget deficit is reversed, the amount we're in debt by increases each year.

Do you think there is no need for cuts then? Maybe if Labour hadn't urinated all our money up the wall in creating the biggest public sector this country has ever seen while setting us up as Europe's capital for benefit tourism we wouldn't be in such a mess. Don't see it as an "attack"mate it's a rescue attempt. Ain't no money trees here.......

I wrote a Fever Pitch style novel called Southend against the c***s but no publisher picked it up.

We are in the ****. The only way to get out of the **** is 3-4 years hard pain. We haven't even begun to feel any of the cuts yet though I'm guessing most of us are feeling the effect of rising fuel costs (indirectly related) and mediocre pay rises and bonuses. My payrise this year means that I have gained 2.5% in the 3-1/2 years I've been at this place. Wait until they really bite. All of us will be making cutbacks. For the better off amongst us that will be lifes luxuries such as Sky and unnecessary mobile phone and text costs. For the less well of that will mean sacrificing a few "essentials" such as Sky and mobile phone cost wastages.

I'd advocate doubling the tax on alcohol and tobacco (and I smoke) to accelerate the payback process and to try to get interest paying off the principal amount. The biggest question for me isn't the cutbacks it is whether those less well off are adversely affected in proportion to the rest of us. I've seen nothing other than hot air and sensationalism to suggest this will be the case. We've enjoyed ourselves for far too long. Time to take some medicine and learn from our parents (or in some cases Grandparents generation). This will still br nothing like the 3 day weeks and doom and gloom of the 70s but in those days people also didn't spend what they couldn't afford.

I haven't been following this at all, but it's surely the yearly budget deficit that they'll be proposing to close in one/two terms?

The actual mountain of debt inherited from Labour will, like WWII, still take decades to pay off. Until the yearly budget deficit is reversed, the amount we're in debt by increases each year.

Exactly, as said in the banking thread. Interest compounding is a horrendous situation, and as such cuts are needed. #barnabluegetsitwrongagain

Exactly, as said in the banking thread. Interest compounding is a horrendous situation, and as such cuts are needed. #barnabluegetsitwrongagain

And FWIW as much as I'd like us to go out and strengthen the squad by signing more players, the same applies to SUFC.

Do you think there is no need for cuts then? Maybe if Labour hadn't urinated all our money up the wall in creating the biggest public sector this country has ever seen while setting us up as Europe's capital for benefit tourism we wouldn't be in such a mess. Don't see it as an "attack"mate it's a rescue attempt. Ain't no money trees here.......

Well that and 2 wars which weren't really necessary didn't help. Oddly people like Richard Murphy http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/.../lWWh+(Tax+Research+UK+2)&utm_content=Twitter arnt seeing it they way many people describe in fact the way our society makes money also has to be amended as well as the large benefits deficit . This countries traditional ways of income are as in need of change as its welfare system . Re teh price of petrol , recent figures show that fuel efficiency has reduced the purchasing of petrol anyway (as has teh price hike ) so many advocate (which Osborne is doing ) the cut in fuel duty (if your tax for instance is on chopped say from 15% to 10% buy another 1000 buy it you don;t lose your short fall ;))

Also very interesting argument about not requiring the private sector solely for regeneration, and the debt maybe isnt as bad as we believe ?
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/...eficit-is-not-the-issue-osborne-claims-it-is/

Management charges and rent accruals would be a start...

:off topic:

£60k a year is very cheap for a Chief Exec IMO, but you know what they say about paying peanuts.....

As for rent - this is presumably one of the incentives to moving to Fossetts as you're not paying for a town centre location. It's why the likes of Barclays etc moved to Canary Dwarf as you pay less per sq ft for purpose built facilities.

Everyone rails against the cuts, but when we should have all been up in arms is at the fiscal irresponsibility that forces the cuts upon us.

:off topic:

£60k a year is very cheap for a Chief Exec IMO, but you know what they say about paying peanuts.....

As for rent - this is presumably one of the incentives to moving to Fossetts as you're not paying for a town centre location. It's why the likes of Barclays etc moved to Canary Dwarf as you pay less per sq ft for purpose built facilities.

Everyone rails against the cuts, but when we should have all been up in arms is at the fiscal irresponsibility that forces the cuts upon us.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the link i posted above , very interesting and much in line with your statement.

Nobody disputes that cuts are needed.What IS in dispute is the time period of their implementation.
btw the only thing I've got wrong so far this season is the hatful of goals that Barry Corr has scored for us.Twitter ye not as Frankie Howard might well have said.:winking:

The links were to a series of polls and a slide show put together for some unions that entirely misses the point. They are not in any way useful.

It is easy to reference debt levels in 1870 or the deficit in 1946, but the fact remains that in 2010 the UK had the largest structural deficit in the G20 at the time of existing high debt levels. This was against the background of sovereign meltdowns and bond markets looking to dump anything that looked even slightly likely to default.

I keep saying this and I'll say it again: yes, the departmental cuts (there are actually no nominal spending cuts) will be tough but nothing like what would have happened if the bond markets had doubted the government's ability to close the structural deficit. It would have meant interest rates rising to continue to borrow to finance revenue spending, which would have killed the economy through reduced liquidity and monetary contraction. The UK would have been locked in a deflationary spiral that would have required fiscal amputation to correct.

By all means protest about the pace of fiscal consolidation or the way it has been allocated (I personally think that cuts should have been frontloaded and that the scope should have been widened to include the NHS and aid), but the economic reality is that we didn't have a choice.

Back