• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport Expansion

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
According to a friend of mine who lives in Rochford and who has just received a letter, Southend Airport are trying to expand as follows.

"Southend Airport want to knock down the houses in my road but also Tesco, RBS, Rochford Golf Club and some houses in Hall Road".

That would be some big airport it it got planning and apparently they will use the CP rule if it does.I can't see that happening TBH.

Can't see them getting Tesco or RBS to move very easily! Both prime sites.....or maybe they could be offered new premises at Fossetts?! :hilarious:

Tescos moving could be a possibility if they find a large enough plot for an Extra store.

Couldn't RBS move to one of the millions of offices down Victoria Avenue?

Tescos moving could be a possibility if they find a large enough plot for an Extra store.

Tescos already bought the b&q site in town. I hope they don't expand ad I live in the flight path :Scared2:

Ahh didn't realise they were building there.

I think it is still up in the air at the moment with their recent comments about cutting back on sites they already own, but would not bother opening stores on for now.

IMHO I can see RBS going, probably out of town as a lot of their staff are college and school leavers and after all they are not popular with the locals over their staff, parking on side streets.
Tescos are looking at the B+Q site and could sell the land near the airport and divide their staff to existing shops.
with talk of lights being inserted by the Tescos roundabout this would make sense as a simple flyover would be problematic with any low flying planes.

Couldnt the airport ? :smile:

RBS were based down Victoria Avenue at one point (part of anyway). I cant imagine they would fit.

How absurd it would be if they did, the RBS building has only been there a little while.

IMHO I can see RBS going, probably out of town as a lot of their staff are college and school leavers and after all they are not popular with the locals over their staff, parking on side streets.
Tescos are looking at the B+Q site and could sell the land near the airport and divide their staff to existing shops.
with talk of lights being inserted by the Tescos roundabout this would make sense as a simple flyover would be problematic with any low flying planes.

Id hope not, RBS is a massive employer in the area, it would be a huge blow if they moved away.

The golf club, houses along Hall Road, Tesco and RBS? That's a hugely ambitious project if true. That'd more than double the size of the airport, wouldn't it?

The golf club, houses along Hall Road, Tesco and RBS? That's a hugely ambitious project if true. That'd more than double the size of the airport, wouldn't it?

It might, at least, put the final nail in the coffin of the idea of an airport in the estuary anyway.

Would they change the orientation of the runway to be more North-South? My house in Denton Avenue could end up right under the flight path rather than adjacent as it is now.

As if. That plan is completely separate, and would replace heathrows dying role as a west Europe hub

Dying? Heathrow was the 3rd busiest airport in the world last year, and busiest European Airport by some 9million passengers.

Actually all things joking aside there are lots of rumours flying around at the moment and the council are looking at redevelopment for this area - so lets wait and see

Dying? Heathrow was the 3rd busiest airport in the world last year, and busiest European Airport by some 9million passengers.
I agree that it's not quickly dying, but soon it's going to be overtaken and that's a bad thing for the UK

Heathrow can't expand. At least not easily. Frankfurt's going to overtake Heathrow very soon with its new 4th runway. Schipol, Munich and Copenhagen are also expanding. CdG can't expand but are making major changes to allow much faster transfers and a more efficient service,

London/UK needs to take the opportunity to build a well connected off-shore airport to remain competitive, IMO. An off-sure airport would be unique for Europe and would definitely become the key European hub because it could be run 24/7, could be absolutely massive, and be well connected.

An off-sure airport would be unique for Europe and would definitely become the key European hub because it could be run 24/7, could be absolutely massive, and be well connected.

If I am hurtling down towards a narrow strip of concrete in the middle of the sea at 150 miles an hour, I would want everything about it to be absolutely sure!

Back