• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport Expansion

I am hoping for more flights as I do not enjoy the Gatwick/Heathrow options. City Airport is very pleasant to fly from.
Getting a holiday company such as Thomas Cook or Thomson's using Southend would have me checking their holiday options first before any other company's brochure.
The new terminal extension at Southend opens at the end of this year. I think this will raise the capacity for at least another 15 destinations.

Used Gatwick for our holiday last week and was pleasantly surprised. Got thru in moments and the scanning of boarding cards worked a treat and even the bag checking area was nice and big (and clear!) They've got a family/kids bit now so it means you can fly thru that bit without the little nippers getting in the way.

Thx for fixing link OBL. SUFC, Airport, RBS, Adventure Island (more investment). Much for the town to be proud of. Just the pier to go. I'm miffed that others get redeveloped and some with Lottery funding as well.

more likely to build over the road into Rochford i reckon, it would be a lot less chaos! If it meant knocking The Anne Boleyn pub down then what more argument do you want.

They used to own the retail park next to the airport but the previous owner sold it to raise some capital and get the airport out of the red. If they hadn't of sold that they could of used the old second runway and had a very long runway.

It does baffle me how some people I've seen comments from on the Southend Echo website seem so anti-airport.

Is there anything you won't moan about? What's wrong with Andrews taxis?

For a start its another division of Andrews taxis called Andrews Airport Cars problem with this is they have exclusivity of ranking up at the airport although the airport is private land so really its only a fake rank - any licensed Rochford District taxi can park up and 'ply for hire' in the short stay car park or pick up any pre-booked job

Dont forget Andrews have been known to charge £10 a bag!

So is an expensive, air-conditioned Merc more expensive fare wise than a 12 plate Mondeo? Nah, didn't think so.

Brain.................fingers...........In that order Barna, try to remember that in future :thumbsup:

Well yes it is at it goes under the licensing regulations if the person gets a taxi ordered from the desk in the airport it then moves from Hackney carriage to Private Hire and any journey that goes out of the borough the company can charge what they like

Funny all the negativity towards the Taxi service at the airport. Used Andrews too and from it, and they were excellent. Pre-booking the taxi saved me queing up outside in the rain.

As a small tip, when we got back, we were told, if you go to the desk and ask for a taxi when you arrive, you can save on going outside and queuing, and you'll probably get a taxi quicker, plus if its raining, they let you know when it pulls up, so you don't have to wait outside.

We had 4 travel cases, and did't get charged extra for them in either direction.

Funny all the negativity towards the Taxi service at the airport. Used Andrews too and from it, and they were excellent. Pre-booking the taxi saved me queing up outside in the rain.

As a small tip, when we got back, we were told, if you go to the desk and ask for a taxi when you arrive, you can save on going outside and queuing, and you'll probably get a taxi quicker, plus if its raining, they let you know when it pulls up, so you don't have to wait outside.

We had 4 travel cases, and did't get charged extra for them in either direction.

Will have check that

I've used Southend Airport twice now, both times using AC to get there but using the cabs outside the terminal when coming back.

The first time i tried using the desk inside but they said it would be a 10 minute wait, i found this odd as i could see a whole host of cabs on the rank. So i told her don't bother! When i told the driver he said the desk charge an additional fee anyway.

The second time i went straight to the cab outside without bothering with the desk. However i did notice they charged me an extra fee for my 1 piece of hand luggage i had on top of an already premium fare. I dunno if that happened first time around. Oh and he forgot to give me my change which i pulled him up on.

I've used Southend Airport twice now, both times using AC to get there but using the cabs outside the terminal when coming back.

The first time i tried using the desk inside but they said it would be a 10 minute wait, i found this odd as i could see a whole host of cabs on the rank. So i told her don't bother! When i told the driver he said the desk charge an additional fee anyway.

The second time i went straight to the cab outside without bothering with the desk. However i did notice they charged me an extra fee for my 1 piece of hand luggage i had on top of an already premium fare. I dunno if that happened first time around. Oh and he forgot to give me my change which i pulled him up on.

There are many out there Steve who give us a bad name

My brother flew to Ireland from Southend and when he was boarding the plane a technician was repairing part of the fuselage with duct tape whilst the captain supervised........

My brother flew to Ireland from Southend and when he was boarding the plane a technician was repairing part of the fuselage with duct tape whilst the captain supervised........

Its when that happens mid flight that you should be worried.

For a start its another division of Andrews taxis called Andrews Airport Cars problem with this is they have exclusivity of ranking up at the airport although the airport is private land so really its only a fake rank - any licensed Rochford District taxi can park up and 'ply for hire' in the short stay car park or pick up any pre-booked job

Dont forget Andrews have been known to charge £10 a bag!

Well yes it is at it goes under the licensing regulations if the person gets a taxi ordered from the desk in the airport it then moves from Hackney carriage to Private Hire and any journey that goes out of the borough the company can charge what they like

Pretty much the points I was trying to make in my original post.If Andrews charge a tenner for hand
luggage on top of a nine quid basic fare that certainly doesn't make it a cheap option.

Kind of expecting a new road off the A130 through Rayleigh/Hockley as well.

Back