• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I will probably try and get to a midweek game for the experience of flying to an away game. When you consider the coach is probably about a quarter of the price. Or if you are taking a car full for about a £10 a head.

Unfortunately the flight back leaves to early....20:40. Otherwise Bury by air would be an option.

No flight will ever be feasible for after a midweek game unfortunately. They just don't take off late enough.

Indeed, but a cheap B&B in Bury and the early flight back would work well.

The flight time up is perfect, arriving at 15:50pm.

No flight will ever be feasible for after a midweek game unfortunately. They just don't take off late enough.

Indeed, but a cheap B&B in Bury and the early flight back would work well.

The flight time up is perfect, arriving at 15:50pm.

You would think that for one night the people at Flybe would delay the return to Southend, as they could sell those seats easily to club players and officials alone.

The 15:50 does still give the chance for players to fly up and maybe coach home.

There's legal restrictions around night flights though. Even if you had a football club right by an airport by the time you've got out of the ground and away from traffic, got to the airport, cleared security, got to the gate and boarded you're pushing midnight which is later than most airports are allowed to have passenger planes taking off. Today for example Manchester Airport only have three flights taking off later than 9.30pm and the last one is 11.05pm.

I also think I'm right in saying that airlines have surprisingly limited ability to move flights around. They have certain slots at airports which cost a lot of money and they have to commit to. It's why they can't, for example, just cancel an individual flight because they haven't sold enough seats on it to cover the cost of the fuel (this paragraph could be complete ******** but I'm sure I've read things to that effect).

The cheap B&B and early flight the next day is the way you'd have to go.

There's legal restrictions around night flights though. Even if you had a football club right by an airport by the time you've got out of the ground and away from traffic, got to the airport, cleared security, got to the gate and boarded you're pushing midnight which is later than most airports are allowed to have passenger planes taking off. Today for example Manchester Airport only have three flights taking off later than 9.30pm and the last one is 11.05pm.

I also think I'm right in saying that airlines have surprisingly limited ability to move flights around. They have certain slots at airports which cost a lot of money and they have to commit to. It's why they can't, for example, just cancel an individual flight because they haven't sold enough seats on it to cover the cost of the fuel (this paragraph could be complete ******** but I'm sure I've read things to that effect).

That's pretty much spot on. Certainly the take off and landing restrictions for passenger flights.

Departure slots at busy airports are also at a premium and then they have to tie in with ATC slots for permission to take off. If you imagine that flights travel on roads in the sky, which they effectively do, your departure and ATC slot link to the time that radar says you are clear to join the road above.

Airlines can cancel flights as a one-off or intermittently for a number of reasons and it wouldn't affect their historic slot at an airport, but obviously other passenger compensation issues come into play if cancellation is a choice made by an airline.

The cheap B&B and early flight the next day is the way you'd have to go.

Once they've paid for a slot the airline can do what it likes with it, so long as a plane takes off. I remember a while a go there was an airline that was in danger of losing a lucrative slot at an airport so it just took off every day completely empty. They flew around a bit and then landed.

The slot was worth so much to the airline that it was actually cost efficient to do that rather than lose it.

But they can't decide to move next Wednesday morning flight back an hour is what I mean?

Yep, that's right.

They can't move the slot around on a daily basis, as it's a specific time slot allocated by the airport.

Gatwick used to have 49 slots an hour and pretty much every day for 15 hours, those slots were all allocated.

It's to do with runway organization, as well as gate availability and so on. This is often why, when you land early, you have to wait on the tarmac for your gate to become available.

But they can't decide to move next Wednesday morning flight back an hour is what I mean?

Depends how busy the airport is. At Southend that might not be a problem, but at Manchester it probably is.

Yep, good point, but only if the receiving airport can accept the aircraft an hour later, as well.

Yep, good point, but only if the receiving airport can accept the aircraft an hour later, as well.

Exactly. Southend would almost certainly be able to delay the take off, but it might cause problems at the other end.

With you now, I thought you meant delaying a similar departure FROM Manchester would have the slot issue, which of course it also will.

The issue is not with the taking off at some far flung airport, but the landing at London​ Shhh!!!outhend Airport after a certain time

Back