• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

finny67

Schoolboy
With our new gleaming airport and a crunch match at Torquay this saturday , has anyone got the ear of either the club or the airport to see if a little bit of chartered plane action could be organised to get down there.

im sure there's a local airport nearish, did it for one of the cardif trips and worked brilliantly .

Shrimpers in the sky ??

Actually , just seen, exeter airport only 20 miles away , could be a great day out....c'mon commercial department , make it happen !!

Would be about 2 hours each way in a light aircraft @ approx £150 per hour - so £600 return in a 4-seater. Sadly ours is in for maintenance :sad:. Suspect air charter firms would charge a lot more on a 'per seat' basis for say 6-8 seater air-taxi.
Fuel alone is £2,30 a litre and mine uses 50+ litres an hour. Nice idea, but too expensive I fear.

Club laid on plane back in 1991 promotion season for the game away against Exeter on 27th April.

Club chartered a plane for the players, staff and directors and sold a package for the remaining seats.
My father had just retired at the time and treated himself, myself and my brother to the day out. IIRC we all met up at Southend Airport about 10ish in the morning, flew down to Exeter Airport where we were picked up by coach and went for lunch with the squad then on to the ground for the game, entertained after the game then back to Exeter Airport, got back to Southend about half past 8 back indoors by 9. Wasn't cheap but it was a great way to do the away trip.

Lasting memory of the day was standing next to Webby at the urinal in Exeter Airport while waiting to board the flight back discussing which game he expected us to get promoted. :smiles::thumbsup:

Looking back at the teams in the old Third Division that season we played Bolton, Wigan, Birmingham, Stoke, Reading, Swansea, and Fulham. Swansea and Fulham just avoided the drop. Wonder what happened to them all? :whistling:

With the airport now up and running and looking the B****** it would be great if we could arrange a friendly with a top european side. Real Madrid, Barcelona etc seeing as easyjet fly to and from these destinations. or am i being a bit optimistic :winking:

You are with Real , but only because Easyjet dont fly there from Southend

well you never know didnt real madrid have a friendly with shamrock rovers a couple years ago? :smile:

Club laid on plane back in 1991 promotion season for the game away against Exeter on 27th April.

Club chartered a plane for the players, staff and directors and sold a package for the remaining seats.
My father had just retired at the time and treated himself, myself and my brother to the day out. IIRC we all met up at Southend Airport about 10ish in the morning, flew down to Exeter Airport where we were picked up by coach and went for lunch with the squad then on to the ground for the game, entertained after the game then back to Exeter Airport, got back to Southend about half past 8 back indoors by 9. Wasn't cheap but it was a great way to do the away trip.

Lasting memory of the day was standing next to Webby at the urinal in Exeter Airport while waiting to board the flight back discussing which game he expected us to get promoted. :smiles::thumbsup:

Looking back at the teams in the old Third Division that season we played Bolton, Wigan, Birmingham, Stoke, Reading, Swansea, and Fulham. Swansea and Fulham just avoided the drop. Wonder what happened to them all? :whistling:

They did the same for Everton away many years ago...A few of us travelled up for Southend airport on some old rust bucket of a plane with the players..I think we ended up at Tranmere airport for some reason and had to get a coach to the ground.I seem to recall we did it again when we played Newcastle away but my mind might be deceiving me.

Stuck in traffic on the A127 after the Wombles and saw the new runway with what looked like a jet on it ready to go.Looked the dogs. Perhaps it's time for me to buy a plane and cut down the time taken to travel to home matches.

Barcelona would surely jump through hoops to set this up. Looking forward to it! LOL

Next thing you'll be saying Freddy's coming back.

With their now being flights from Southend to Barcelona maybe we could arrange a friendly with them pre-season.

Who knows maybe we could exchange a few players Blair Sturrock for Messi maybe!!!!!!

With their now being flights from Southend to Barcelona maybe we could arrange a friendly with them pre-season.

Who knows maybe we could exchange a few players Blair Sturrock for Messi maybe!!!!!!

I was thinking more of swaping the two Erics. We have Abidal. They have Gilbert !!!!:hilarious:

They did the same for Everton away many years ago...A few of us travelled up for Southend airport on some old rust bucket of a plane with the players..I think we ended up at Tranmere airport for some reason and had to get a coach to the ground.I seem to recall we did it again when we played Newcastle away but my mind might be deceiving me.

Jeez, Tranmere Airport to Newcastle. That must've made it a long day out.

I was on that trip. What a great day it was. Espescially the fact that we won.

I tried to find out some prices from Southend to Exeter and the BEST quote I got was 500 per head for 70 seats. That doesn't include transfer to/from Torquay.

I flew with the team to Stockport for our promotion in 89, I was only 14 but it was amazing. Especially the return which was one big party, Paul Clark gave me his shirt and arriving back at Southend airport was brilliant with hundreds of fans celebrating.

I also flew with the team to Cardiff but we lost so won't both telling you about that :-)

Back