• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport

Ryanair will be launching a twice weekly Southend to Girona service from April 2020. Handy for future games against Barca, or jaunts to the Costa Brava. Seat sale closes midnight tonight (for anyone who might be interested). Fares as low as £14.99.

It's a shame they can't choose somewhere useful, to add to the options.

Barcelona is already served by Easyjet and Ryanair also do Reus.

I'd prefer if they added a few Italian options or Valencia or Madrid maybe.

Ryanair will be launching a twice weekly Southend to Girona service from April 2020. Handy for future games against Barca, or jaunts to the Costa Brava. Seat sale closes midnight tonight (for anyone who might be interested). Fares as low as £14.99.
Well they are gonna have to sort out more staff with all these new destinations next year as they don’t have enough as it is and they are underpaid so something is going to have to give way.

Well they are gonna have to sort out more staff with all these new destinations next year as they don’t have enough as it is and they are underpaid so something is going to have to give way.

Ryanair are actually going to stop flying from the UK and will only operate in Europe. I know that may surprise many of you but thats exactly what Michael O'Leary claimed if we voted Brexit.

Ryanair are actually going to stop flying from the UK and will only operate in Europe. I know that may surprise many of you but thats exactly what Michael O'Leary claimed if we voted Brexit.
He says a lot of things and never backs himself up, his also supposed to be selling up soon, I hope he does as he treats staff like dogs, it’ll be much better if someone else takes over or buys him out.

Ryanair are definitely expanding into some odd non-UK places.

For example, who knew you could fly from Beirut to Paphos on Ryanair!

It's a shame they can't choose somewhere useful, to add to the options.

Barcelona is already served by Easyjet and Ryanair also do Reus.

I'd prefer if they added a few Italian options or Valencia or Madrid maybe.
To London yes.Gatwick ,Luton and they used to do Stanstead and us.Incidentally Ryanair used to do a service to Gerona too.

Last edited:
Yup. Another fine council mess

We used to live on the flight path well before the airport turned into a bigger operation.

We just got out as it was hell, lost a lot of money on the house but it was worth it to enjoy peace and quiet.

Have a friend who works in the control tower so i hope it does remain in some capacity but the sort of projected numbers are neither achieveable or remotely possible. It's in the middle of housing and the road infastructure can not cope with that traffic level, let alone the environmental impact of 40 flights per hour.

We used to live on the flight path well before the airport turned into a bigger operation.

We just got out as it was hell, lost a lot of money on the house but it was worth it to enjoy peace and quiet.

Have a friend who works in the control tower so i hope it does remain in some capacity but the sort of projected numbers are neither achieveable or remotely possible. It's in the middle of housing and the road infastructure can not cope with that traffic level, let alone the environmental impact of 40 flights per hour.
Totally agree with you. They’ve had this pipe dream for a while and seem very stubborn about it. Total disregard for local residents. I’m thinking of leaving the area partly due to uncertainty over things like this and ridiculous amounts of housing coming down the road.
I think you made the right choice moving it’s soul destroying all that noise when it’s unreasonable too.

40 flights an hour is a joke. 40 a day was bad enough for the surroundng homes.

Can't see it recovering from the Covid slump
I can’t see them recovering either. The fact that EasyJet didn’t increase their summer schedule with them says a lot too.

It all depends on Esken, they’ve openly said they are selling off assets and looking at the aviation sector. The land on the airport would be a developers dream whether commercial or housing. And seeing what’s happened recently with Doncaster it wouldn’t shock me to see the same happen at Southend.

They desperately need an airline/cargo liner to commit on a large scale. The private, flying school and maintenance movements aren’t enough to sustain the airport.

It really is a shame as they were thriving pre covid. They shot themselves in the foot by bringing in Ryanair as well as EasyJet. That didn’t help their relationship after lockdown when both were looking to cut operations.

The airport is great for people that live in Southend and surrounding areas. Any further out than that and it makes more sense to fly elsewhere. Even the private big money clients, it’s not beneficial to land a jet at Southend. When you can land it at Stansted or City and a shorter, easier helicopter routes or car journeys to their onward destination.

I genuinely fear for the airport. I worked there for 3 and a half years and it helped give me the skills to where I am now. I will hold the place close to my heart but from a perspective of someone who works in that sector I do not see it being a viable option unless airlines/cargo liners start coming in soon.

Back