• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport

I think I'm going to have to get off my lazy arse and actually ask the Airport. Certainly we are noticing flights coming in quite late now (after 11pm) and there is a regular flight out at 5 am. I posted earlier on another thread that EasyJet are far quieter than Ryan Air and Mad Cyril tells me that's down to the aircraft they use. Either way, since the arrival at the Irish the noise levels have risen considerably.

It could be a number of things. You'll never find out the answer to this, but it also depends on whether they take off VX or VY. VX is the greatest angle of climb, VY is the greatest rate of climb.

VX will get you up slower in terms of time, but will get you out of earshot of the ground quicker.

VY will get you up quicker in terms of time, but is a shallower climb rate, meaning you create noise that can be heard on the ground for longer, and over a greater distance. Since VY is a shallower climb, the nose is lower and the plane is faster, but importantly, less fuel is used. From an airline perspective fuel cost is everything, but VY is also more comfortable for passengers...

It could be that different airlines are using different techniques, although all with have to abide by the airport's noise abatement rules.

Last edited:
It could be a number of things. You'll never find out the answer to this, but it also depends on whether they take off VX or VY. VX is the greatest angle of climb, VY is the greatest rate of climb.

VX will get you up slower in terms of time, but will get you out of earshot of the ground quicker.

VY will get you up quicker in terms of time, but is a shallower climb rate, meaning you create noise that can be heard on the ground for longer, and over a greater distance. Since VY is a shallower climb, the nose is lower and the plane is faster, but importantly, less fuel is used. From an airline perspective fuel cost is everything, but VY is also more comfortable for passengers...

It could be that different airlines are using different techniques, although all with have to abide by the airport's noise abatement rules.
Having lived near the airport for 40+ years I've seen them come and seen them go. The thing that is now grabbing my attention is the number of flights in and out each day, which will undoubtedly increase as the airport's popularity increases. So when you are used to X and then Y applies over a relatively short period then you notice it more. Probably I'm far more aware of things since I retired, prior to that I was all over the country and didn't actually give a toss about the noise. If it gets to the point where it really is a pain then maybe we will move. What I do know is that the car is now quite regularly covered in a fine spray which, the anoraks in the street insist, is aviation fuel.

These used to come in during the early hours, the Metroliner and they weren't quiet!

75502_1526997853.jpg

Well, the first flight for today to Faro took off a few mins early at 6.23am and yesterday’s listings had 2 flights confirmed as departed at 6.25am. Stop watch is no good for telling the time...

Don't forget that departure time and take-off time are two different things - departure is the time of push-back from the gate - there might be a few minutes of or more of ground movement before take-off. No idea if that accounts for the discrepancy you're seeing but thought it worth mentioning...

I know, usual allowance of 10mins taxiing, gate departure to take-off, though have seen them in the air at 6.30am when dropping of people at Rochford station in a morning

I know, usual allowance of 10mins taxiing, gate departure to take-off, though have seen them in the air at 6.30am when dropping of people at Rochford station in a morning

How much extra do EasyJet and Ryan Air charge to drop folk off at the station @kaymac? :Winking:

Ryanair are much better than slEasyJet.

It makes me happy seeing Southend Airport doing so well, I worked there for 4 and a half years and watched it start to grow after the investment from Stobart. Would love to see them link up with the club more though.

Ricey, they sponsor Southend Community Trust and do quite a bit with them now

Don't forget that departure time and take-off time are two different things - departure is the time of push-back from the gate - there might be a few minutes of or more of ground movement before take-off. No idea if that accounts for the discrepancy you're seeing but thought it worth mentioning...

I once watched two films between push back and departure at Philly Airport.

The RA planes are def louder than the EJ planes. You could never really hear the planes whilst I was delivering in WOS but since RA flights have kicked off this spring, you can def tell which planes are which!

Back