• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport

The trick is to make sure you are flying before you step onto the plane.

That is why they have Wetherspoons at airports.

Flying from Southend's great! I've done it twice before and doing again in 3 weeks when I go to Portugal.

Best bit about it is obviously it's location. 10 mins from my house and you don't have to get there stupidly early as you get through security really quick. Even better, when coming back its usually 20 mins from hitting the tarmac to leaving the airport.

I would say the flights around 45 mins, the trolley barely serves anyone before you start descending and they have to pack up.

I went on a Dutch Bulb Field day trip back in May 1968, I flew out of Southend Airport but I went to Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam. This was with Channel Airways in a Victors 812 Golden Viscount with 4 Turboprop Engines.

Not to worry you, but on the return the plane landed in a heavy thunderstorm and aquaplaned down the runway and crashed going over the bank at the end of the runway and nearly going over the Southend Victoria railway line.

Luckily everyone got out alive.

Vsicount Plane Crash.jpg

I went on a Dutch Bulb Field day trip back in May 1968, I flew out of Southend Airport but I went to Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam. This was with Channel Airways in a Victors 812 Golden Viscount with 4 Turboprop Engines.

Not to worry you, but on the return the plane landed in a heavy thunderstorm and aquaplaned down the runway and crashed going over the bank at the end of the runway and nearly going over the Southend Victoria railway line.

View attachment 8731

Outstanding stuff Big D......That's a tick in the ultimate man contest.

View attachment 8731
I reckon @Blueronron will be ever so pleased to read this BD.

I reckon @Blueronron will be ever so pleased to read this BD.

I am sure he will, it is always good to have a balanced view on the pros and cons of stuff like this.

I am just glad I survived along with the other 82 souls on board (79 passengers + 4 crew), 4 of which sustained quite serious injuries but fortunately fully recovered, and I am still here to be able to tell him about it.

Some stunning pics of the Lancaster overnight at the airport on the Ros Southend Chit Chat page on FB by a guy called Mike Batson...this is my favourite of them

68890735_10217287769998985_8958828044563251200_n.jpg

Thanks its the 60 mins sitting in a steel tube that has no right to be airborne is my concern !!1

I know its the safest way to travel ....... but following Southend I'm bound to have Kevin Bond on board and he will take us down over the Channel :ROFL: ( Only joking KB if reading , I'm still one fan on your side )

Not that this will make it any easier for you, because a fear of flying is an irrational fear, but a plane has every right to be airborne:

Bernoulli's Principle

I see wizz air are now or soon will be flying out of southend, that’s another 14 a week out of southend, more noise for the residents.

I see wizz air are now or soon will be flying out of southend, that’s another 14 a week out of southend, more noise for the residents.

Thats One of the reasons I didn't buy in Leigh about 11 years ago. It was obvious the Airport would be a success.....Which means more and more flights......Still I have had plenty of guests from Europe this summer, so the Airport works for me..... And all the independent local businesses I recommend to them.

Thats One of the reasons I didn't buy in Leigh about 11 years ago. It was obvious the Airport would be a success.....Which means more and more flights......Still I have had plenty of guests from Europe this summer, so the Airport works for me..... And all the independent local businesses I recommend to them.

Not a total success, however.When it started up, just before the London Olympics there were two Easyjet flights a day from Barna to Southend.For a couple of years now there's just been the one,getting in pretty late at night.

Not a total success, however.When it started up, just before the London Olympics there were two Easyjet flights a day from Barna to Southend.For a couple of years now there's just been the one,getting in pretty late at night.

It is a total success for our town. By our I mean Southend-on-Sea in Essex and its surrounding towns and villages......If, like you know what, it it doesn't suit the odd ex pat in Spain.......Who cares......

I've tried to convince plenty of Catalans of the charms of Southend rather than London in my time.I always prefer to spend my own hard earned in SOS rather than London if possible.With just one flight a day to and from Barcelona it's more difficult.Just saying.

I've tried to convince plenty of Catalans of the charms of Southend rather than London in my time.I always prefer to spend my own hard earned in SOS rather than London if possible.With just one flight a day to and from Barcelona it's more difficult.Just saying.

Yes I would love to have more Catalans visiting Southend after all we have a lot in common with them......Standing up against tyranny and all that. (dont answer that pooint)

But airlines are a commercial business. So if there is no market there is no flights. If there is a limited market then maybe one a day....The time of which may not suit you personally, so you just have to work round it or chose another airport......Any way I have to see my German guests out, the second German family this summer........And no of course I didn't mention it.

Most of the Spaniards I know (whether Catalan or not) seem more interested in visiting London than SOS (can't think why). :Winking:

As you seem to have realised, my complaint was against EJ rather than London SEN airport.Though I see its owner appears to be in a spot of bother.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49445495

Stobart Air operate the airports . Eddie Stobart Logistics run the transport firm , they have been un related for a few years now

Back