• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport

Good luck but I'm not so sure.My remarks were based on a conversation I had with a UK expat in 92 in Corfu.He had a beach shop ( catering for summer tourists ) and obviously as an EFL teacher I was curious to hear how he survived outside the tourist season.As everyone knows, the Greek economy has taken a nose dive since those days.

I'm not going to do it but it's not as hard as you make out. I know enough people to earn enough during the summer to survive the winter not doing a lot. A lot of the buildung works on apartments etc happens out of season so that could be an option too. As I said, pipe dream only but it is doable

I'm not going to do it but it's not as hard as you make out. I know enough people to earn enough during the summer to survive the winter not doing a lot. A lot of the buildung works on apartments etc happens out of season so that could be an option too. As I said, pipe dream only but it is doable

Pretty much all the building work here in Spain had dried up since the 2008 crash (I'd imagine it's the same in Greece too).Haven't been over for about 4 years now-that was to Cyprus.It was quite noticeable how much building work there had been started then stopped just,like here.Including in the appartment block we were staying at.There were quite a few punters (in their new W.Ham tops etc)in outlying/inland villages presumably living on their pensions though.As a builder's son I tend to notice these things.The grass is always greener...and all that,however.

Last edited:
I lived in Cyprus for 10 years, anyone wanting my input please feel free to PM me. I made a few mistakes, may be able to prevent others making same ones!

Obviously, if you have an extensive private income (from say rented properties ) you'd be OK.I was talking about people who work for a living ,though. :Winking:

My guest at RH on Tuesday lives in Greece has done for 20 years. He runs his business from Athens and spends weekends in his other house by the sea......He fully embraces the Greek life style, pays his taxes in Cyprus and has up to 8 weeks holiday in the summer alone.

Although he was smart enough to invest his earnings in British property.....Which means him or his family, who grew up in Greece won't ever have to pick an olive.

My guest at RH on Tuesday lives in Greece has done for 20 years. He runs his business from Athens and spends weekends in his other house by the sea......He fully embraces the Greek life style, pays his taxes in Cyprus and has up to 8 weeks holiday in the summer alone.

Although he was smart enough to invest his earnings in British property.....Which means him or his family, who grew up in Greece won't ever have to pick an olive.

Never picked olives but I have picked grapes in Israel and France .It's backbreaking work, I wouldn't particularly recommend it.Presumbably neither you nor your RH guest would agree with Proudhon's maxim that " property is theft." :Winking:

Last edited:
Never picked olives but I have picked grapes in Israel and France .It's backbreaking work I wouldn't particularly recommend it.Presumbably neither you nor your RH guest would agree with Proudhon's maxim that " property is theft." :Winking:

No we believe its great way to make money whilst improving the lives of others.

One thing we do agree is that the missing 300,000 babies in Spain is far worse than theft which is why neither of us would ever live there.

Last edited:
No we believe its great way to make money whilst improving the lives of others.

One thing we do agree is that the missing 300,000 babies in Spain is far worse than theft which is why neither of us would ever live there.

The whole "buy to let" racket is a national disgrace and while not necessarily illegal (as long as buildings are fully insured for multiple occupancy) it is clearly immoral and reminiscent of the worst excesses of Rachmanisn.It should be much more tightly regulated.

Last edited:
Enough please gentlemen. If you want to continue your chat start a new thread.Napster asked nicely and I am too. Back on topic or stuff will happen, ta.

I had to pay £53.88 to park in the short stay car park at Stansted Airport for 17.5 hours. :Angry:

The cost of my flight was cheaper than that. :Look:

I had to pay £53.88 to park in the short stay car park at Stansted Airport for 17.5 hours. :Angry:

The cost of my flight was cheaper than that. :Look:

Another con that airports pull,is not to clearly differentiate between their short stay and long term car parks locations (and rates).I seem to remember that Yogi fell foul of this particular jape at Barna airport (before flying out to Mallorca ) a few years back.

Southend airport are planning to expand passenger numbers by 238% over the next few years. From around 1.5 m in 2018 to 5m.

Don't say you weren't warned if you live nearby.....Noise and traffic.

I always park away from the airport and get a bus in. Paid £48 to park for a week in the summer (Birmingham).

Southend airport are planning to expand passenger numbers by 238% over the next few years. From around 1.5 m in 2018 to 5m.

Don't say you weren't warned if you live nearby.....Noise and traffic.

People used to moan when it wasn’t busy! Bet those don’t moan when they’re walking to the airport to go on their holidays.

It’s great for Southend and having worked at the airport I’m over the moon it’s becoming such a successful airport.

People used to moan when it wasn’t busy! Bet those don’t moan when they’re walking to the airport to go on their holidays.

It’s great for Southend and having worked at the airport I’m over the moon it’s becoming such a successful airport.
Woah, I've never minded having a successful airport and I don't now. We live close to the airport and we get get flight traffic passing over us landing and taking off. By and large, with the exception of the Ryan Air flights, it's noise but you get used to it. If the traffic increases to levels suggested by rigsby then the disruption might become more difficult to live with, I'll have to wait and see.

Its not just Southend. There is report out the says huge rises at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead and Luton.

The answer was always a new 6 runway airport at Cliff or even 'Boris' island. Had we gone ahead with Maplin in the 70's we would have far better transport links to London and the M25 and Southend would be a far better town.

Woah, I've never minded having a successful airport and I don't now. We live close to the airport and we get get flight traffic passing over us landing and taking off. By and large, with the exception of the Ryan Air flights, it's noise but you get used to it. If the traffic increases to levels suggested by rigsby then the disruption might become more difficult to live with, I'll have to wait and see.

Wasn’t a dig at you mate, there was a number of regulars who enjoyed a good moan off. I used to read the complaints and some were ridiculous. They chose to move in there god knows what they must be like now if they still live there.

Its not just Southend. There is report out the says huge rises at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead and Luton.

The answer was always a new 6 runway airport at Cliff or even 'Boris' island. Had we gone ahead with Maplin in the 70's we would have far better transport links to London and the M25 and Southend would be a far better town.

Don’t forget London City Airport, a great airport that is :Smile:

Don’t forget London City Airport, a great airport that is :Smile:

I love City airport, so quick and easy plus I like the smaller planes with twin seats rather that triple seats. You never get stuck in the middle between 2 fatties.

Back