• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport

NFN, but one post in 8 years and it's the first letter of a word.

This could be a very long post we are waiting on here.

Some Film of Southend Airport through the ages

And you thought Southend Airport is noisy now, just take a look at these Boeing 707's from the 1990's

and Being 727's again from the 1990's

DC-8's from the 1990's

Now these were noisy.

And a few more

Conroy CL-44

Here is the BAC 1-11 from the 1990's these were really noisy and made the ground shake, and they always had great big black smoke trails.

Regarding noise levels and the residence of Wells Avenue, below I have posted up pics of Wells Avenue, Southend Airport, and its Charlie Taxiway.

If you look carefully at these you can see the yellow lines and traffic lights where planes stop and wait for clearance from Traffic Control in the Control Tower to proceed onto the main runway "06". These yellow stop/hold lines over the years have moved and in 2013 it moved round the bend closer to the main runway, which unfortunately meant that the planes are static with their engines running and their exhausts pointing straight at the gardens of Wells Avenue.

In 2018 they then moved it again back from the bend but this has now resulted in the planes being held much closer to their gardens. The airport should move the yellow holding lines and traffic lights back to their original position seen in the 1999 pic, which is a lot further away from the gardens in Wells Avenue which will alleviate the majority of their noise problems.

Charlie Taxiway 1999.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2003.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2005.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2006.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2009.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2011 2.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2011.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2013 1.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2013 2.jpg

Charlie Taxiway 2013 3.jpg

I would love to see a plane at the end of my garden every couple of hours.

Really? I can just about hear cars racing up the A5 when the wind blows in the right direction. I'd hate to live anywhere near an airport - the noise must be horrendous.

Really? I can just about hear cars racing up the A5 when the wind blows in the right direction. I'd hate to live anywhere near an airport - the noise must be horrendous.

I hear and see them taking off morning noon and night and it really doesn't bother me. I'd happily have them at the end of my garden, love seeing them take off and land

I guess you get used to the noise, though aircraft are different to road noise.

I live next to the railway line and during the summer, with the windows open, you can hear the trains and some days the announcer on the local station just down the road, but you kind of get used to it and it's almost a re-assuring sound in some ways when they go past.

I hear and see them taking off morning noon and night and it really doesn't bother me. I'd happily have them at the end of my garden, love seeing them take off and land

Having lived next to both Brize Norton and Marham you become used to the noise. I’m a aviation geek so I will always love seeing and hearing aircraft. I’m on the Stansted flight path and do enjoy looking out at what’s flying over. It’s not to everyone’s taste!

We live in the flight path over Leigh. Guaranteed most mornings when about 5.40am the Ryan Air one flies over, the noisy bugger wakes us up.
No problem with any East Jet ones throughout the day/evenings.

Back