• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
I know this is only a fantasy at present,but who knows what the future and a new 22000 seater stadium may bring.I myself would be happy just for Southend to make the championship and consolidate our position there,but from there one day maybe not in my life time we just might make it into the Premiership ,albeit even if its just for a season or two.What i would hate is for Southend to go silly , like other clubs have ,Blackburn and Blackpool spring to mind,and spend huge amounts on players and wages,and end up with a debt that would put the club out of business.I could foresee every home match being a sellout,because what Southend do have is great supporters, hopefully southend would always be a family club. Income from just one season in Premiership could keep this club afloat for many seasons after if managed properly.What do you people think,just something to discuss during the close season.:smile:

Burnley are perfect example of how to manage finances. They didn't go mad. They have stability in the manager. A philosophy, standards. From boardroom to boot room all pulling in the same direction.

RM, at the moment, cant really afford to take us into the Champ and stay there. Thoughts of the Prem, imo can only be achieved with a vast influx of cash, which would mean Martin stepping down, and thats not going to happen. We can dream though, nothing wrong with that.

Would pretty much agree with this. Getting an impressive new ground could make us more appealing to investors. We won't stabilise at Championship level or go any further than that without significant investment which I think is probably beyond Ron Martin.

But we've seen what has happened to clubs like Bournemouth and Swansea in recent years. Clubs that had/have similar size grounds as we do and have shot up the leagues. It's fine to dream but those dreams will cost money to be realised.

We would need a four sided stadium with decent income streams for the club
Ron to sell the club for a reasonable price and new owners to chuck millions at us
None of this is going to happen for a long time

I was always under the impression that the reason that Ron wanted to build this stadium in the first place was so he could sell the club for a whopping great profit afterwards. The premise being, that Southend would be a championship club, with a brand new stadium and facilities, becoming a very sellable comodity. The whole package being very enticing to any invester/buyer. That could all still happen further down the line. We've said it time and time and again, we are in a terrific catchment area, an area that could easily attract premiership size crowds upon success. There's no reason why we couldn't be like Swansea.

I remember some years ago when Watford were promoted under Graham Taylor to the Prem via Play-Off. Elton was interviewed immediately after and he said the club would live within it's means and signings would be balanced so at worst the promotion ensured the club was financially sound.
The minute I heard those words - I knew Watford (at that time) had no sincere ambition to remain up top - but were resigned to just enjoy the ride.
They finished rock bottom without a whimper.

I remember some years ago when Watford were promoted under Graham Taylor to the Prem via Play-Off. Elton was interviewed immediately after and he said the club would live within it's means and signings would be balanced so at worst the promotion ensured the club was financially sound.
The minute I heard those words - I knew Watford (at that time) had no sincere ambition to remain up top - but were resigned to just enjoy the ride.

The difference between then and now though is the parachute payments. If we did manage to get up to the Prem, even for one season we could benefit financially for years after. Spend within our means the first season and if by some fluke we do a Bournemouth and survive then slowly start building the squad from there.

But we really should be focusing on how we're gonna get up to the Championship and stay there right now because that's as big a challenge for us right now.

WBA are a great example .

For me, if Southend ever got up, I'd tell the fans to expect a rock bottom finish. I'd support the players that got us there. Enjoy the season of new clubs. If we went down, with no stupid money spent, the parachute payments would set the club up for years and then you could make a conscious , controlled targeting again promotion and then staying there .. money is great if you have long term ambitions and patience. Short term gambling, could implode the club.

To dream of Prem is fine, as you say parachute payment and all that, imagine Ron getting his hands on all that cash. But if we go up next season, which is not out of the question, how does RM keep us there on his lower league budget. The players we have would want money, transfer fees would be a great deal higher, even if you could get the right type of players to come here in the first place, anyway, lets get up first, then we will find out.

I dont see why we cant aspire to be like some of the bigger Midlands and introduce a disciplined and sustainable model of taking really poorly dressed troublemakers to away games.

Although they did win at Anfield that season, Tommy Mooney getting the winner. That was amusing.

WBA are a great example .

For me, if Southend ever got up, I'd tell the fans to expect a rock bottom finish. I'd support the players that got us there. Enjoy the season of new clubs. If we went down, with no stupid money spent, the parachute payments would set the club up for years and then you could make a conscious , controlled targeting again promotion and then staying there .. money is great if you have long term ambitions and patience. Short term gambling, could implode the club.

This is spot on but it's one of the many reasons the Premier League is such a poor quality league now. Teams know they don't need to compete, just pocket the parachute payments, take the relegation and be set up financially for years.

Back