• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Beard XI

Should more Southend players grow beards?

• Total voters

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Was Adam Locke the last player to turn out for Southend with a beard?

Have we ever had a better beard than Paul Clark's?

Can we name a full XI of bearded wonders without having to resort to naming Mark Beard?

nb Simon Francis' bum fluff doesn't count.

Chrissy Powell would have to be left back.
Drewe liked a bit of facial hair too (don't know if he would make the team tho).

I can't think of a bearded goal keeper, the nearest is Graham Horn IIRC had rather a luxuriant growth on his top lip.

Alan Moody wore a beard from time to time as did Steve Phillips.

I can't think of a bearded goal keeper, the nearest is Graham Horn IIRC had rather a luxuriant growth on his top lip.

Alan Moody wore a beard from time to time as did Steve Phillips.

Sammy sported one when playing for Millwall

PaulSansome.jpg

That'll do for me, as he is one of my favourite Blues keepers.

I am fairly sure Dave Cusack had a beard at one time, probably to offset his dodgy perm.

A big clue, is standing next to sammy the shrimp in the banner picture at the top. Damien scannel has a wierd terrible looking beard at the moment

Sansome
Moody Cusack Clark Powell
Locke Lampard? ???? Scannell
Phillips Guthrie

Mascot: Old Pa Shrimper

Last edited:
That'll do for me, as he is one of my favourite Blues keepers.

I am fairly sure Dave Cusack had a beard at one time, probably to offset his dodgy perm.

Any preferences as to how I fit Cusack, Clark and Moody into the same team?

Am I right in thinking that they were all primarily centre-halves? Did one of them play right-back? Or Clarky in centre-mid?

Any preferences as to how I fit Cusack, Clark and Moody into the same team?

Am I right in thinking that they were all primarily centre-halves? Did one of them play right-back? Or Clarky in centre-mid?

Clark certainly played centre midfield for both us and Brighton. Moody also had a spell at full back, so he could fill in at right back.

Franno's definitely SHOULD count! For goodness sake, he went unshaven throughout that unbeaten spell two seasons back - what was it, 11 games?

Franno's definitely SHOULD count! For goodness sake, he went unshaven throughout that unbeaten spell two seasons back - what was it, 11 games?

I think it is fair to say that the effort was more impressive than the end product.

We are seeking beards of the calibre of this:

Probably the most famous bearded ex-Southend player is Jim Fryatt. Not famous for his beard, not famous for having played for Southend, but famous for that 4-second goal.

Back