• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SOUTHEND COUNCIL PLANNING SITE

Blue Shrimp

Just checked Environment and Planning Southend Council site.

Click here to see Council site and submit your views

There are pictures of the NEW GROUND. Request for your views and lots of attachments covering all aspects.

Closing date for SUBMISSION OF opinions is 13th November 2006 so get reading and typing.

The more the better.
biggrin.gif

Great spot, Blue Shrimp. Folks - get writing now. Here's my tuppen'orth...

Matt

<span style='color:blue'>Dear Honourable Councillors,

As an erstwhile resident of Southend-on-sea and a frequent visitor to the borough, I should like to register my support and approval for the plans which have been submitted by Southend United for a new football club, hotel and retail development.

Given the location of Southend-on-sea, there is always a risk of the town slipping into what might be termed &quot;dormitory status&quot; - no more than a place where people live before going elsewhere (London, Lakeside etc) to do their working and shopping and to spend their leisure time and money.

The Council has taken steps in recent years to buck this trend, notably with the creation of the University. Instead of being a dormitory, Southend appears on the cusp of becoming a destination.

It is clear, in my view, that a vibrant football club within a town can truly help to cement a town&#39;s reputation as a destination and somewhere to be visited. One need only look to the example set by Reading in recent years to see what an enormously transforming effect a successful football club within the borough can have on a town. Reading is booming, with new shopping developments, new hotels, new business. Indeed, it would seem that of all the towns in the UK, Reading is the town most likely to capitalise on this by becoming the next UBC to be awarded City status.

This is a model to which Southend should be aspiring. Southend has the cultural and historical importance to be considered as a viable candidate to become a city. It has a lively arts scene, a growing populaiton and a thriving economy. It is a wonderful place to live (I grew up there, after all&#33;). A stunning new football stadium, a successful football club, a first class hotel and more prosperity through a brand new retail park are just the sorts of developments which will drive Southend towards city status and truly cement its place as one of the best places to live in the UK, and a town which is truly on the move.

The alternative - stagnation for the town and the club, as the edifice of Roots Hall crumbles and the feel-good factor engendered in the town by the club&#39;s recent successes (witness the sea-front parades, or 20,000+ Southenders travelling to the Millennium Stadium) ebbs away as the club slides back into the lower leagues - does not really bear thinking about.

I commend this excellent development proposal to the Council and urge Honourable Councillors to support it. It could be the making of the club - and that could in turn prove a massive boon for the town. Carpe diem&#33;

Yours faithfully,

Matthew Walker</span>

Oh, and if you're wondering why this is important, I found this amongst the various papers submitted with the Environmental Impact Assessment... and wouldn't you just guess where they're based...

suspect.gif

<span style='color:blue'>Dear Sir

Thank you for consulting English Nature on the above proposal. Your letter was received by this office on 25 August 2006. Based on the information provided, English Nature objects to the proposed development.
We recommend that the local planning authority refuse planning permission on the grounds that the application contains insufficient survey information to demonstrate whether or not the development would have an adverse effect on legally protected species.

Our concerns relate specifically to the likely impact upon protected species. The protection afforded these species is explained in Part IV and Annex A of Circular 06/2005 'Biodiversity and Geological Conservation - Statutory Obligations and their Impact within the Planning System.'

Surveys, assessments and recommendations for mitigation measures should be undertaken by suitably experienced persons holding any relevant licences. In order to assess the potential implications on protected species, any subsequent planning application should include the following information…

We also recommend that the local planning authority considers all the points made in the attached annex. This provides guidance on survey requirements and information on how the authority should fulfil its duty on biodiversity issues under Section 40(1) of the Natural Environment & Rural Communities Act 2006, Regulation 3(4) of the Conservation (Natural Habitats &c.) Regulations 1994 and Section 74 of the Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000 to ensure that the potential impact of development on species and habitats of principal importance is addressed.

Please note that if planning permission is granted, the applicants should be informed that this does not absolve them from complying with the relevant law protecting species, including obtaining and complying with the terms and conditions of any licences required, as described in Part IV B of Circular 06/2005.

If the application is amended with additional information, English Nature should be reconsulted for a further 21days. Please forward a copy of the decision notice to us at the above Col******r address.

If you have any queries relating to the content of this letter, please contact me at the above Col******r address.

Yours faithfully

Chris Keeling
Assistant Conservation Officer
Col******r</span>

Regarding wildlife, a survey has already been done concerning part of Fossetts Farm, Fossetts Way. (the Link Road area.)

See minutes.southend.gov.uk/akssouthend/images/att3005.doc

Pages 4/5

In area :- Reptile survey undertaken June 2002 no reptiles found, so it is not considered necessary to repect a reptile survey.

Badgers :- Survey carried out March 2003 and no setts found or signs of foraging activity. Site does not form part of core territorial range of sicial groups in wider area and it is not considered necessary to undertake further survey work.

General :- recognise there will be some habitat loss but high quality landscaping scheme will create new habitat comprising hedgerow and tree planting that should compensate and enhance the site to encourage wildlife.

States applicants have also written and they believe that English Nature&#39;s concerns have been fully addressed.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 18 2006,12:40)]Great spot, Blue Shrimp.  Folks - get writing now.  Here's my tuppen'orth...

Matt

Dear Honourable Councillors,

As an erstwhile resident of Southend-on-sea and a frequent visitor to the borough,

blah ... blah

Matt,

Why are you only addressing a small proportion of our councillors ?

Did mine.

Keep writting if some of you haven&#39;t done it yet. Maybe we get Stan Collymore to write to the Council how important to have new ground, it might make an impact on the Council to have an famous ex Premiership star to do his bit to help our chance of getting an New Ground. Maybe not?

I&#39;ve also submitted my views and reasoning for why the club should remain at Roots Hall and not move to a new stadium.

I think the council would appreciate a balanced alternative argument from a Southend supporter, if only to stop them believing something like &quot;Bloody fans, only thinking of themselves.&quot; The contrast will add strength to the pro-movers views as well as those wishing to stay.

Staying at Root-Hall not the option by our Chairman, and he is right, its too cramped when the ground is full &amp; far too small to host Championship football, even Col Ewes &amp; Luton want to move to new ground.

Its your words so I accapt that.

Back