• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufclee

Coach
Did anyone pick up on his quotes in respect of the new Spurs shop opening in Southend high street?

“It does surprise me they’re opening a store here as their supporters locally seem to be few and far between."
“I think it’ll be a good addition to the High Street, but I must apologise to West Ham fans.”

Nice to see a member of Southend council speaking out for his local side!

Last edited:
I think what he meant to say was "I used to support Spurs but since living here and becoming leader of Southend Council I'm a Shrimper through and through. I think he was just misquoted. The Echo misquoted David Amess saying he was a W*** H** supporter as well.

Did anyone pick up on his quotes in respect of the new Spurs shop opening in Southend high street?

“It does surprise me they’re opening a store here as their supporters locally seem to be few and far between."
“I think it’ll be a good addition to the High Street, but I must apologise to West Ham fans.

Nice to see a member of Southend council speaking out for his local side!

I saw it and I'll be contacting him for an explanation. I do hope I'm not alone. The more the merrier, I'd say.

I have no issues with the shop but if he did actually make that comment the bloke is an idiot as he shows no regard for the people he represents.

I'm sorry for West Ham fans too. Sorry that most of them are a complete bunch of knuckle heads. :smile:

agree for once

For once, I don't agree.

This man is elected to REPRESENT Southend and the local interest. That means supporting and promoting the interests of residents and businesses within the elected area. Can you imagine the leader of Liverpool City Council welcoming a Man Utd shop opening on Liverpool high street, apart from apologising to Man City that a similar arrangement hadn't been concluded with them?

Clearly the man is an absolute bell-cheddar to have made these remarks. However I do wonder if he is using this to show his contempt after so many missed promises from our chairman re the new stadium. Not that it's an excuse.

What an absolute ******.

Even if he thinks that he should not say it. He is a local councillor there to promote local interests. He should be promoting the area in his role not mocking it. Personally the birch is too good for this sub-human scum.

He is elected to represent the area, but only by about 15% of the people in it. Why should he care what he says if so few turn out to vote, all the more so given it's still a larger proportion of the area than turn out to watch the football club he's slighted?

Stepping off my devils advocate perch, I think Jai's hunch about snubbing Ron is an interesting idea.

Even if he thinks that he should not say it. He is a local councillor there to promote local interests. He should be promoting the area in his role not mocking it.
Agreed, bloke's a complete idiot. Then I would say that as I'm 'upset'. Typical Spurs fan - a classic example of one, and I've grown up with many unfortunately.
Clearly a dig at West Ham, a team who turned his lot over THRICE last season and hope to do it yet again on Saturday (which I doubt this time). One thing they can't handle is banter from West Ham.
However as far I'm concerned, it's more a mockery of Southend United and it's loyal supporters, just by his clear stance and exclusion of even a mention to the town's sole professional football club.
Anyone would think his name is erm... RON

I assume that he said this because West Ham are rivals with Spurs and we are not and not that he has forgotten who his local club are.

I assume.

Back