• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Council to buy Victoria Shopping Centre

The High Street is very poorly policed from the abundance of beggars, louts drinking lager (in a prohibited area?), clouds of cannabis smoke, dodgems with bikes and scooters, litter strewn.
No up market shop will come anywhere near it. If GAP or FatFace, for examples, wanted to open a shop in the SS postcode they would choose Leigh Broadway for those reasons alone.

Yes forgot about the cyclists. One was going as fast as he possibly could. Steve McQueen and German motor cycles came to mind.

That’s the issue, town is a dump and people stay away, especially after dark. The amount of street drinkers and homeless has got worse, as has the aggressive behaviour. Last time I ventured in one bloke was squaring up to a copper outside Starbucks yelling that Covid was all a hoax and another was sat in front of Tomassi’s clearly off his head, shouting abuse at people. It was about 11am. The whole High Street needs a total revamp not just the Vic end of it. If people feel safe, they’ll come. It’ll take more than a few new flats and shops.

Like a lot of things this council does it is 10 years too late.
A large part of it could have been used for the new library? And then some other use for that site?
FF ought to have happened a decade ago, and a marina 40 years ago.With the latest climate forecasts how does more building one Shoebury garrison flood area make sense?

Just a thought but a marina rather than houses in a flood area Isn't the daftest suggestion I have ever heard.

Just a thought but a marina rather than houses in a flood area Isn't the daftest suggestion I have ever heard.
Indeed. its The best place for it.
for old times sake you dredge Leigh creek and build it there .. they won’t because they will **** their pants about the leser worm picker bird Or something..

but there is big money in a marina down there for fishing and leisure. There is a run out at loW tide and it will,save the cockle boats 2 hours in fuel and they will have at least another hour at sea maybe more

It's strange to have such a big shopping center that survives on only two shops.....Wilko and Poundland. If one of them ever goes, that shopping centre will be finished. As for those scooters tearing about in the High Street, the Orange ones are legal, but the huge majority which is the Black ones are not legal. Those ones can go up to 50mph, and no one will insure them. They even wizz past coppers, and they do nothing, let alone stop the rider and confiscate the scooter.

The council should have some vision here. Two floors of independent traders and a ground floor of cafe bars. We might have left europe but they can still look at europe and see how well the cafe culture works. And be bold, no big retailers, keep it independent and keep the rents affordable, empty units mean no income. Get it right there and it will spread all the way down to the seafront and make the town a place where people want to come.

The council should have some vision here. Two floors of independent traders and a ground floor of cafe bars. We might have left europe but they can still look at europe and see how well the cafe culture works. And be bold, no big retailers, keep it independent and keep the rents affordable, empty units mean no income. Get it right there and it will spread all the way down to the seafront and make the town a place where people want to come.
Very good idea but the type of shopper is wrong for that. The High Street is too unwelcoming, too many unpleasant people, as already said too poorly policed, poor access.

Very good idea but the type of shopper is wrong for that. The High Street is too unwelcoming, too many unpleasant people, as already said too poorly policed, poor access.

I disagree, the council have a potenial blank canvas here. Make it inviting and it will attract the right type of shopper. Make Southend as uninviting as possible for the scumbags currently polluting it. Nick'em, fine'em and enforce the law and they will go away and the decent people will come back. Southend has a oppotunity here to be the first to polish a ****. It just take a little belief.

Ah yes the arcade. Wasn’t there a market there as well? Think the hotel was called the Victoria Hotel. Lots of little shops like toolmakers, butchers, bakers etc? My grandparents spoke fondly of it .. and hated the shopping centre

Erm.... if you check the post immediately before yours you can see a photo of the Victoria Hotel

I disagree, the council have a potenial blank canvas here. Make it inviting and it will attract the right type of shopper. Make Southend as uninviting as possible for the scumbags currently polluting it. Nick'em, fine'em and enforce the law and they will go away and the decent people will come back. Southend has a oppotunity here to be the first to polish a ****. It just take a little belief.
Well put BUT do you think Essex Police will play their part?
Very rare to see a copper anywhere on foot, High Street and Hamlet Court Road. Last I was aware shops, garages and taxis were all unhappy with support that they get with problems of theives and yobs not paying for goods or services.

Well put BUT do you think Essex Police will play their part?
Very rare to see a copper anywhere on foot, High Street and Hamlet Court Road. Last I was aware shops, garages and taxis were all unhappy with support that they get with problems of theives and yobs not paying for goods or services.

I think the police should be given support that allows a different approuch. As an example, Amsterdams red light district is also a tourist destination. There is a low key police pressence uniform wise but also plain clothes officers. If there is any trouble around the windows then they are there in seconds and I can assure you they don"t muck about. They stamp on it and because of this there are very few incidents.

I think something along those lines, over time, will make Southend a welcoming place. If you're out for a good time then knowing the police are going to come down hard on the ones out for trouble then you are more likely to be reassured of going there.

It works in Amsterdam and Brugge and Ghent and plenty of other places around europe where I have seen it with my own eyes. It could work here with both police and security, maybe not overnight but in time.

As I say, be bold.

Back