• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend doing their Community bit

TerryintheWest

I'm pleased to see the team doing their bit for the Community.

On the official site there's an article about Tilly, Basil, Jon Stannard and the U18s visiting the Children's ward at Southend Hospital to hand out presents.

Last week in the Southend Times, there was an article (including photograph) about Andy Edwards and Adam Barrett officially opening the first hospital Scouting Group in Essex and only the 6th in the UK at the Neptune Unit at Southend Hospital.

Well done to the club on this and hope that they take every opportunity to raise the club's profile throughout the Southend community.  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ Dec. 21 2004,12:11)]Last week in the Southend Times, there was an article (including photograph) about Andy Edwards officially opening the first hospital Scouting Group in Essex and only the 6th in the UK at the Neptune Unit at Southend Hospital.
Well he's not doing much else at the moment.

What happened to the thread about the "gits from the club" quote!? I see it's now been changed to "gifts from the club". Unfortunately.
rock.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Dec. 21 2004,17:12)]And here's where OUR league beats the Premier$hite by a mile, all the lower league clubs do stuff in the community, when was the last time Fergie took his boys to the local hospital to hand out pressies?
How do you know that they don't?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Dec. 21 2004,17:12)]And here's where OUR league beats the Premier$hite by a mile, all the lower league clubs do stuff in the community, when was the last time Fergie took his boys to the local hospital to hand out pressies?
What a dumb comment.

Do you not see on Sky Sports News the Southampton, Chelsea and Arsenal players going to their local hospital to see the children.

Overpaid they may be, but you can't say that they don't do their bit in the community.

Poorly kids visit to see the Blues

There's another article in the Basildon Echo tonight about two children who will be staying in Southend Hospital over Christmas.

As a special treat, Southend United arranged that they visit Boots & Laces to watch the team train and meet the players. There was then a visit around Roots Hall and at the end of the visit, they were given a souvenir goodie bag including a Southend United shirt.

There were somme nice comments from Ray Davy which will have put the club in a good light.

Well done!  
smile.gif

[b said:
Because Fergie, for all his faults, has one good trait which is not to spout off exactly what his players do for the local community as it would backfire and almost certainly be reported negatively.

I don't think you have to tell the likes or Ryan Giggs the debt he owes to the club, fans and community. You may have to educate the likes of Wayne Rooney.

Footballers give up their free time to do this. The fact that most of them in the Premier$hite are overpaid primadonnas is not the issue at stake here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ Dec. 21 2004,18:26)]There were somme nice comments from Ray Davy which will have put the club in a good light.
He's a sound bloke, Ray Davy. He was the one who was conducting the tours in the summer.

In terms of loyal years of service to the club, even Tilson isn't fit to lace his boots. Anyone who has been working at the club since before the construction of Roots Hall certainly gets my instant respect.

[b said:
Because local for Man U is Singapore, and its just too far to get there without missing a training session or two. Fortunately the FA seem keen to introduce a winter-break so the Man U plc brand can be taken further afield.

Besides I seem to recall the occasional Man U star doing stuff in the community. Community service I believe its called.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Dec. 21 2004,19:27)]
[b said:
Because local for Man U is Singapore, and its just too far to get there without missing a training session or two. Fortunately the FA seem keen to introduce a winter-break so the Man U plc brand can be taken further afield.

Besides I seem to recall the occasional Man U star doing stuff in the community. Community service I believe its called.
Cynical
rock.gif

Cynical but fair I feel.

Personally I like the way in which, according to some Man U scummers, we must now distinguish between the GOOD capitalism of setting up asian sweatshops and aggressively marketting the produce and the BAD capitalism of attracting investment from an external source.

I'm sure we'll all shed a quiet tear for them when they end up winning f**k all this year.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ Dec. 21 2004,22:08)]Cynical but fair I feel.

Personally I like the way in which, according to some Man U scummers, we must now distinguish between the GOOD capitalism of setting up asian sweatshops and aggressively marketting the produce and the BAD capitalism of attracting investment from an external source.

I'm sure we'll all shed a quiet tear for them when they end up winning f**k all this year.

biggrin.gif
Is it their fault that their club as a brand is so popular?

[b said:
From yesterday's Times -

"The [Crystal Palace] squad will be visiting children in local hospitals this week. 'It makes you realise how lucky we are to be doing this for a living', Iain Dowie, the manager, said. 'There are a lot of people a lot less fortunate than most of us who are healthy'"

Plus items on Sky Sports News this morning about Bolton and Spurs players visiting the local children's hospital.

Three 'Premier$hite' clubs there.
rock.gif
rock.gif

By the way, it is in some pros' contracts that they have to do a certain amount of community work a week. For Southend, it's 2 hours, I think. (Whether Che gets away with talking to Leeboy as community work, I don;t know)

[b said:
There was a story on Sky Sports News this morning about the Everton squad at a local hospital, talking to the sick kids.

Yep, and Robbie Savage and the Birmingham lads were also out at a Birmingham hospital.

That comment about Prem players not doing their bit seems a tad misplaced now doesn't it?

I also heard that all Premier$hite players were giving up a days wages to donate to charity. A small but worthy gesture.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Dec. 22 2004,12:06)]Yep, and Robbie Savage and the Birmingham lads were also out at a Birmingham hospital.

That comment about Prem players not doing their bit seems a tad misplaced now doesn't it?
I would like to hereby issue an apology to all Premier$hite clubs and players. I, in common with many other people, were under the impression that Premier$hite clubs were greedy, self-centred and only concerned about their own profits (or lack of), and their players generally of the same ilk.

In light of the revelation that once a year for half an hour they are dragged round a hospital ward to pose for the national media, er I mean doing stirling charity work, can only mean that the Premier$hite is the new Medicin Sans Frontiers, each Premier$hite club should be awarded tax breaks in recognition that they are first and foremost a charity, and each Premier$hite player (the new Mother Teresas) awarded a knighthood, if not immediately turned into Saints. I apologise profusely for any confusion caused.

Back