• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend fans at Tottenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Life President
I was on another website's forums talking about secterianism in Scottish football and about how the Irish chants have offended so many people. I used a bit of quoting to back up my statement but when i went to look for it i found this on a website that stated some examples of secterianism:

"I'd rather be a Pikey than a Yid" (plus Nazi salutes and gas-chamber hissing) - Southend fans at Spurs, January 2007

I mean, the Pikey and Yid bit was okay but Nazi Salutes? Are we really that low, or was it just some fans who went too far? Who else went to the game and what happened afterwards, Tottenham seem a big target for secterianism.

I was on another website's forums talking about secterianism in Scottish football and about how the Irish chants have offended so many people. I used a bit of quoting to back up my statement but when i went to look for it i found this on a website that stated some examples of secterianism:

I mean, the Pikey and Yid bit was okay but Nazi Salutes? Are we really that low, or was it just some fans who went too far? Who else went to the game and what happened afterwards, Tottenham seem a big target for secterianism.

I was at the game and heard nothing of the sort, maybe the odd yid chant from us and the odd pikey chant from them, but nothing that serious.

I was at the game and heard nothing of the sort, maybe the odd yid chant from us and the odd pikey chant from them, but nothing that serious.

There was a small selection of idiots in the middle section of the crowd...

There was a tiny handful who reacted to provocation by the Spurs fans and were rightly ejected. This got reported in the press of course. What they failed to report was the 30,000 Spurs fans chanting about "Pikey's", at us and Freddie.

The Tottenham fans were singing "who's the pikey in my seat" so we gave it back.

A couple of guys were banned for the nazi salutes if i remember correctly?

There was a tiny handful who reacted to provocation by the Spurs fans and were rightly ejected. This got reported in the press of course. What they failed to report was the 30,000 Spurs fans chanting about "Pikey's", at us and Freddie.
Yep a handful of our support did react to Spurs' sustained provocation. Neither sides behaviour is correct, but Spurs supporters should consider their own sensitivities before abusing other supporters and players.

Mark Mac

Nothing wrong with a bit of banter between fans. I remember the Yids singing 'go back to your caravans' which was greeted by a chorus of 'go back to your council flats'. Genius!!!

Lets hope to do gooders dont take political correctness too far (even more so than already) and try to stop this enjoyment.

Who the **** in this day and age thinks Nazi salutes are acceptable in any situation.

I despair of these people I really do.

Who the **** in this day and age thinks Nazi salutes are acceptable in any situation.

The drunken knuckle-draggers about a dozen rows in front of me that day, sadly.

It's a bit rich for Spurs fans to be moaning about the "I'd rather be a Pikey than a Yid" chant considering that it was their support who used both of those words first that day.

It's OK to give a load of playful banter to Jews, or at least it seems to be. In Danny Dyer's International Football Factories (which I did enjoy, it shames me to say), the 'Gas the Jews!' chants from Feyenoord supporters directed at the F-Side were treated like 'just a bit of fun'. Can you imagine the chants being allowed on air if they were directed at Muslims? Why is it OK to abuse a religion and race that has suffered innumerable persecutions but you must tread ever so carefully round a religion that merely imagines its hardship?

It's OK to give a load of playful banter to Jews, or at least it seems to be. In Danny Dyer's International Football Factories (which I did enjoy, it shames me to say), the 'Gas the Jews!' chants from Feyenoord supporters directed at the F-Side were treated like 'just a bit of fun'. Can you imagine the chants being allowed on air if they were directed at Muslims? Why is it OK to abuse a religion and race that has suffered innumerable persecutions but you must tread ever so carefully round a religion that merely imagines its hardship?

I have to say the "yid" term does make me feel uncomfortable but do you think like n*gger or queer, it's been reclaimed somehow by Tottenham?

I have to say the "yid" term does make me feel uncomfortable but do you think like n*gger or queer, it's been reclaimed somehow by Tottenham?

Oh yes, I don't have a big problem with it at all. It's the same at Ajax. I am not bothered by 'Yid' chants at Spurs or in Amsterdam - but the salutes and the gas chamber references kinda bug me.

Obviously. I thought those days had long gone from football, sadly not.

No, and I doubt they ever will. The Feyenoord songs are truly something to behold, as Andre from the F-Side commented, they sing about Hitler and yet his airforce destroyed most of their city. Real intellectual heavyweights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back