• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend French XI - Allez les Bleus!

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
In honour of the latest World Champions -and our new signing Timothee Dieng - here's my attempt at a Southend French XI.

Improvements welcome (and needed)

GK - a tricky one. I'm struggling to decide between Sofianne Zaaboub because he likes wearing gloves or Bilel as he once volunteered to go in if our keeper was sent off. As Tunisia failed to pick him for the World Cup and he's keen, I'm claiming Bilel Mohnsi for France and he gets the nod.
RB - George Parris - he was crap and so is this selection. Sorry.
LB - Jackie French - it gets better, honest
CB - Dorian Dervite - French and good. Told you it gets better
CB - Timothee Dieng - welcome Timothee. You may find this team easier to get into than the Southend 1st XI.
RM - Sofianne Zaaboub - the crossbar at Dartford is still shaking from his effort there in a pre-season friendly in 2010.
CM - Jean-Francois Christophe - probably best remembered for his last minute overhead goal against Col Ewe. Take that Anthony Wordsworth and John White!
CM - Regis Coulbault - probably best remembered for his goal against Gillingham in that match when we trailed for 89 minutes and somehow won 2-1.
LM - Frank Nouble - probably best remembered for not scoring. probably best forgotten.
CF - Francis Laurent - best remembered for his rubber legs display against Leeds. We should mention that performance more often. He was awesome that match.
CF - Amadou Ba gets in ahead of Sada N'Diaye on the strength of the fact I've never had to chant for him to be sent off because it's the worse tackle I've ever seen and we'd probably be better off with 10 men instead of him anyway.

Francis Laurent - my two "big" memories are his performance against Chelsea away in the F.A. Cup when he pushed us back up the pitch with his ball control and skill.

And Carlisle away - he stood on the wing and no-one wanted to pass to him. Not sure what was happening there but we effectively had 10 men on the pitch.

Sada N'Diaye, whilst Senegalese, spent most of his playing career in France. Who could forget that sending off at Brentford when he nearly decapitated an opposition player?!

Sada N'Diaye, whilst Senegalese, spent most of his playing career in France. Who could forget that sending off at Brentford when he nearly decapitated an opposition player?!

Marc-Antoine Fortune deserves a place in our current squad as well as this one

I'm not doing very well with this. Good point on Sada N'Diaye being Senegalese - the French N'Diaye was Alassano the Palace loanee and absolute unit who got sacked.

I'd forgotten French Guiana was an overseas department of France, as is Guadeloupe so Miguel Comminges also qualifies.

I'd also forgotten the Southend careers of Bedsente Gomis and Adem Bouzid.
Along with Alassano N'Diaye that truly is a midfield to forget with 1 JPT start and 2 league appearances between them.

..............................Mohsni
Dieng.... Dervite..... M'voto.... Comminges
Laurent... Christophe... Coubault... Zaaboub
.........................Ba...... Fortune

Subs Gomis, N'Diaye, Bouzid

That's quite a balanced team.

Last edited:
If we're going to pick an Englishman with a French sounding name surely we can do better than Nouble...

Didn’t we have a dead good striker who later famously got arrested in Paris?.....Stan Collymort .

Back