• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Helped Rochdale Get Promotion

TMWLT

Banned
back in the 1960s rochdale were like us a decent 4th division outfit, and they beat us 5-0 i think on the last day of the season to ensure that they got promotion to the 3rd divisio, the people of rochdale hold that team in revere
and I have touched the ball that was used inthe game

Quite a few teams over the years have won promotion or the title against Southend:-

Portsmouth 1982/3, Chester City in 1985/6, Torquay in 2003/4, Yeovil 2004/5? there are others just can't think of them at the moment.

The Rochdale game TMLLTTT is on about 10th May 1969 Rochdale won 3-0?

Not sure what season it was probably early 70's that Rochdale only won 2 games home or away all season, yep they beat us at Roots Hall!!

Last edited:
back in the 1960s rochdale were like us a decent 4th division outfit, and they beat us 5-0 i think on the last day of the season to ensure that they got promotion to the 3rd divisio, the people of rochdale hold that team in revere

to continue the random southend/rochdale theme... I think the least league wins by a team in a 24 team league is 2 by rochdale in 1974 - their one away win being at, you guessed it, Roots Hall

Quite a few teams over the years have won promotion or the title against Southend - Portsmouth 1982/3 Chester City in 1985/6, Torquay in 2003/4, there are others just can't think of them at the moment.

The Rochdale game TMLLTTT is on about 10th May 1969 Rochdale won 3-0?

Not sure what season it was probably early 70's that Rochdale only won 2 games home or away all season, yep they beat us at Roots Hall!!

beat me to it!:D

WTF??? :confused: :confused:

WTF??? :confused: :confused:

I know what you mean J, I thought some of the crap I posted was a bit random, but this takes the biscuit. I don't care whose balls you've touched in Rochdale fella!

Rochdale away in 1960 was our first ever game in the League Cup (we lost 5-2).

Richard Cadette is the only Southend player to score a hat-trick against Rochdale. (Southend 5 Rochdale 0 2/5/86 Att: 1153)

Anyone else got any more interesting Southend v Rochdale stats?

Rochdale away in 1960 was our first ever game in the League Cup (we lost 5-2).

Richard Cadette is the only Southend player to score a hat-trick against Rochdale. (Southend 5 Rochdale 0 2/5/86 Att: 1153)

Anyone else got any more interesting Southend v Rochdale stats?

We clinched promotion against Rochdale in 1978 and the 4th Div title against them in 1981

Here's another random Rochdale-Southend fact, especially for big Derek as I know he loves them, Steve Tilson's first match in charge was against Rochdale, we won 4-0 and I had cornflakes for breakfast (invented by a man from Rochdale, would you believe).

I believe this post is a reminder to us that we are lucky not to be Rochdale as they have never been promoted since they beat us... Gotta feel for their fans finishing mid table for thirty odd years must really hurt and can you imagine the song on the terraces

'Up the football league we won't go
Coz we won't get promotion
and this is what we'll sing
We are Rochdale We are Rochdale
a f#ck##g useless team!':p

We clinched promotion against Rochdale in 1978 and the 4th Div title against them in 1981

Remember that game against Rochdale in 1978. I was about 8 at the time and remember running on the pitch at the end of the game to celebrate promotion. Some really tough nut stole my southend bobble hat during the celebrations. Would dearly love to come across that person now!

to continue the random southend/rochdale theme... I think the least league wins by a team in a 24 team league is 2 by rochdale in 1974 - their one away win being at, you guessed it, Roots Hall

I take it you are going to the game on Tuesday, the players will be landing at Teesside about 2.30pm en route to Hartlepool.

I take it you are going to the game on Tuesday, the players will be landing at Teesside about 2.30pm en route to Hartlepool.

Yep, I am going. It's only about 25 minutes drive away from me.
I've got a friend whose son is in the youth set up at Hartlepool. He's played quite a bit for the reserves but I don't think he's anywhere near the first team at the moment

Back