• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Homeless

Well for start the lads were never going to get any drugs it was just an excuse to force them to get their money out, plenty of scams like that around the world.....Gang offer victim some piece of crap and they try to buy their way out of trouble

No this group were acting aggressive, gobby, attention seeking and spread out across the High Street. One was ****ing up a shop window etc. Other older adults scurried by, head down and thinking Southend is a disgrace. The thing is these idiots didn't give a ****, they absolutely knew nothing would happen to them. Back in the day as any of the old school will tell you behaving like that would have resulted in a slap or two from a group of fine upstanding young Essex boys.

So what about this gang made you think they were homeless? They just sound like a gang of teenagers or early 20 somethings looking for trouble, which is obviously a problem but isn't a reason to not support homeless causes.

They claim they are homeless. So that make it absolutely on Topic
That's some wonky logic there. The OP was about rough sleepers, not people who might pretend to be homeless and aggressively beg.

It's funny how people take a genuine and simple request for some information and are triggered into a rant about all the anti-social behaviour and criminality that happens down the high street. Says a lot about some of the people on here tbh.

So what about this gang made you think they were homeless? They just sound like a gang of teenagers or early 20 somethings looking for trouble.

I doubt they were. The point is Southend has become the reverse of the broken window campaign. Homeless people begging in doorways becomes targeting easy and vulnerable victims with increasing aggression, which leads to virtual street robbery of a night.

By the way I never for one second thought the opening post on this thread was genuine hence my early reply. I would of thought that any genuine homeless charity would want to distance themselves from the scum that now plague our town.

That's some wonky logic there. The OP was about rough sleepers, not people who might pretend to be homeless and aggressively beg.

It's funny how people take a genuine and simple request for some information and are triggered into a rant about all the anti-social behaviour and criminality that happens down the high street. Says a lot about some of the people on here tbh.

Really how do you know that. I want a DBS check if any adult thinks he will be running out with any of my families kids on match day.

Really how do you know that. I want a DBS check if any adult thinks he will be running out with any of my families kids on match day.
That's for the club to consider and resolve - the OP was given the information they asked for.

The visible "homeless" in the High Street begging and boozing ARE NOT the majority nor representative of most of those with no home; sadly they ( the scum) set much of main stream society against the real and true problem and any assistance towards easing and helping the many in need of step forward in circumstances and self respect.:unsure::sad:

I doubt they were. The point is Southend has become the reverse of the broken window campaign. Homeless people begging in doorways becomes targeting easy and vulnerable victims with increasing aggression, which leads to virtual street robbery of a night.

By the way I never for one second thought the opening post on this thread was genuine hence my early reply. I would of thought that any genuine homeless charity would want to distance themselves from the scum that now plague our town.

So you didn't think these people were homeless yet it's the homeless people's fault anyway? That doesn't make sense to me. In any case roping in all homeless people, the majority of which have done nothing wrong, because of a few thugs makes no sense, by that logic all football fans are scum since there are a few hooligans in every support base.

So you didn't think these people were homeless yet it's the homeless people's fault anyway? That doesn't make sense to me. In any case roping in all homeless people, the majority of which have done nothing wrong, because of a few thugs makes no sense, by that logic all football fans are scum since there are a few hooligans in every support base.

Ok to save further arguments. If an adult turns up v Walsall and tells us all he is homeless and would like to be a mascot would you allow it.

So these are the people that are begging then jacking up in and around the High Street.

This is a thread about the homeless and the people you describe clearly, and by your own words, aren't.

Next time I go down to Harp to drop of unwanted clothes etc come with me. It's a pretty sobering experience.

Last edited:
Ok to save further arguments. If an adult turns up v Walsall and tells us all he is homeless and would like to be a mascot would you allow it.

No I don't think it's a very good idea (and I can't see why an adult would want to do it even if it was approved), I'd be all for the club to promote a homeless charity in some other way though.

The visible "homeless" in the High Street begging and boozing ARE NOT the majority nor representative of most of those with no home; sadly they ( the scum) set much of main stream society against the real and true problem and any assistance towards easing and helping the many in need of step forward in circumstances and self respect.:unsure::sad:

As I said in my earlier post, I occasionally visit HARP and donate unwanted usable clothing etc, etc. (it is something we should all do, btw)

I went just before Xmas. There was a lad there, early 20s, sober and articulate. He needed a shower. There was another lad, same sort of age, was looking for some clean (new) underwear and some help in reading some information. There was a room full of people, all of whom appeared sober and straight.

I also, occasionally, have to walk down Southend High Street early in the morning. There you see people sleeping in shop doorways. Normal people, straight and sober.

Young lass who last week was parked to the right hand side of the Odeon. Late teens, early 20s. Freezing cold. Kicked out by parents, can't find work as she is no fixed abode. No solution.

These are the homeless people this town has. It is a massive, massive problem and it gets worse daily.

So yeah, sit there and talk about those whose cause problems in Southend. As this has already been pointed out, these people aren't actually homeless.

I am running the Southend Half Marathon in June. I am hoping to raise some money for HARP. When I get the details bottomed out, maybe some of you may like to support me. Possibly a much better thing than having someone walk out as a mascot.

I've had clubbers offer me drugs on nights out before and had to say no a couple of times before they'd go away.

Thats sad to hear. Next time this happens, confiscate the items & contact me, so I can personally make sure they are destroyed in a safe and controlled manner.

Your involvement in the homeless was never in doubt Barmers,the only surprise was that it took to the 11th post to mention it.:stunned:

Ha!I don't actually spend 24/7 on SZ you know!

Then let your wife or daughter walk 30 paces in front of you down Southend High street and you'll know what the rest of us do.

It is a no go area for the elderly and just 2 weeks at 20:00 hours on a Friday night with people about, myself and a friend had to step in when a group of around 5 men and a couple of women tried to force class A on 2 lads of about 15 who were clearly saying NO.

Yes there always have been genuine people with problems who are homeless but the new breed of muggers need to be dealt with, and run out of town before the death of our once great High Street.

Thanks but my wife and our younger daughter, (along with myself), are familiar with the problems in SHS these days.

FWIW,I agree with the first part of your final sentence.

HARP have a rigid "NO DRUGS & NO ALCOHOL" policy, (none allowed on premises) and no person under influence allowed on premises.
If people want help from HARP they must be not under influence of substance abuse[- that means no access to counselling, clothing, food, showers, washing machines, night shelter etc : HARP provide a deep and thorough service (dentist/doctor included).
The other help services around town that provide food have a similar stance to the use of booze or drugs.
YMCA is another (supposedly) no alcohol/drugs charity.
The crux of my post is to further distinguish between the High Street mayhem causes and those of the unseen majority who want/need help which is too limited to assist more than a fraction.

Incidentally HARP's largest financial supporter is SBC as it performs many roles the council ought to do.

RDC, Castle Point, Basildon etc appear to have minimal facilities for their homeless AND that does make Southend a "magnet" for their homeless BUT HARP have a policy which requires primary assistance goes to those with the largest Southend connections first[- i.e. only those with strong links to the Borough get places at the Night Shelter.

Ha!I don't actually spend 24/7 on SZ you know!

Thanks but my wife and our younger daughter, (along with myself), are familiar with the problems in SHS these days.

FWIW,I agree with the first part of your final sentence.

So Tangled what would you do to stop the growing mob of wrong'uns that plague Southend High Street and the cliffs area.

So Tangled what would you do to stop the growing mob of wrong'uns that plague Southend High Street and the cliffs area.

Difficult one.Build more nightshelters and make more sheltered accomodation available I suppose.I know what I wouldn't do ie seal up those shelters around the Boating Lake in Southend ,which is precisely what the Council did back in the 70's.That didn't work too well,did it?

Difficult one.Build more nightshelters and make more sheltered accomodation available I suppose.I know what I wouldn't do ie seal up those shelters around the Boating Lake in Southend ,which is precisely what the Council did back in the 70's.That didn't work too well,did it?

We are not talking about genuine homeless people just aggressive beggars/robbers

Too many liberal attitudes around, firm but fair treatment of the aggressive, criminal element required. No easy solutions are available unfortunately, Society is at fault here. I wish I had a magic wand.

Simple solution is the enforcement of the law; already (bylaw) alcohol is banned from being drunk in High Street, Queens Road, H Ct Rd areas and has been for many years but the police don't enforce it properly now. Possession of drugs is a crime.
By laws exist against camping on the cliffs, begging, when a nuisance is illegal etc.
My suggestion would be a 3 month joint Police, council enforcement campaign backed with support services for those in genuine dire straights.

Back