• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Otto

President⭐
On the BBC website at the moment they are getting people to tweet their all-time legends 5 a side teams. I have noticed a few people are doing the legends of their clubs and thought it would be fun to see peoples best Southend United 5 a side teams made up of legends they saw play. 5 a side teams in a 1-2-1 formation seems to be the format so mine would be:

Flahavan- Not our best keeper IMO but all his strengths suit the 5 a side game.

Prior- Our best CB ever IMO and again suited to 5 a side being a CB who is good with the ball at his feet.

Otto- Because he was absolute class and will create something form nothing
Maher- The steel in my midfield will win the ball and keep possession

Collymore- was a toss up between him and Freddy, Stan was a class above though

Flahavan - Not our best keeper IMO but all his strengths suit the 5 a side game.

Prior- Our best CB ever IMO and again suited to 5 a side being a CB who is good with the ball at his feet.

Otto- Because he was absolute class and will create something form nothing
Maher- The steel in my midfield will win the ball and keep possession

Collymore- was a toss up between him and Freddy, Stan was a class above though

Mine would be:
Dan Bentley - Great shot stopper and half decent with his feet
Ben Coker - Great at his last ditch tackles and offers something in an attacking sense too
Nicky Bailey - Pains me to say it but he's got everything, chasing people down and kicking lumps out of them and scoring goals, he's an upgraded Gary Deegan
Mark Gower - Skills and attacking threat but gets stuck in if needed
Freddy Eastwood - Haven't seen a better finisher at Roots Hall

5 a side or 4 a side? ;)

Mine would be:
Ben Coker - Great at his last ditch tackles and offers something in an attacking sense too
Nicky Bailey - Pains me to say it but he's got everything, chasing people down and kicking lumps out of them and scoring goals, he's an upgraded Gary Deegan

Bailey would look like an even bigger **** with that massive ginger beard though

5 a side or 4 a side? ;)

Mine would be:

This is the team I was going to pick. Maybe swap Gower for Stan.

5 a side or 4 a side? :winking:

Mine would be:

5 a side, have I missed something?

Good side, it was a tough choice for me between Bailey and Maher.

Just stick Neville Southall in goal. He won't have to move, in fact I'm not even sure he does anymore.

5 a side, have I missed something?

Good side, it was a tough choice for me between Bailey and Maher.
Woops sorry, first glance I didn't see Maher under Otto!

Yeah that was the call for me as well, thought Bailey offered a bit more offensively so went for him. Unfortunately too young to have seen Stan play at the Hall so just went for players I've seen.

Its under head height so no point in having a clumsy big centre half in your team ! Quick feet , energy , aggression , pace & finishing is what its all about

from our current squad :

Bentley Coker Timlin Payne Hunt subs Atkinson , Weston , Leonard

against all time Southend team:

Flavahan Pennyfather Poutney Butler Cadette subs Otto , Gower , Phillips

Mike Marsh would be my first pick in an all-time Southend 5-a-side team.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned him.

Simon Royce, Chris Powell, Ricky Otto, Mike Marsh, Stan Collymore. Subs Mark Gower, Freddy Eastwood, Bill Garner.............But oh, so many to choose from.

Mine was exactly the same.

Royce was as good as any keeper, but at our highest level and with some terrible defences.

Powell I just feel would be better suited than a big CB. Marsh is simply the best passer of the ball I've seen in a blue shirt, and it broke my heart leaving King Kev out.

It was a very tough toss up between Otto and Eastwood, I just think a prime Otto would do more damage in midfield. And every five a side team needs that player with outrageous hair, I mean flair.

Collymore - shoe in.

Seeing all the different teams, make me realise how lucky we have actually been with some of the players that have blessed Roots Hall.

Mine would be:

Guessing you were post-Stan then! :winking:

Guessing you were post-Stan then! :winking:

I think I'd say Freddy was a better finisher than Stan. Stan's goals were usually efforts from long range. He wasn't really a penalty area poacher.

I'm not sure Stan's skillset would be quite as dominant at five-a-side level as it was on a full size pitch. I think in a contained space Freddy might actually be the better option. Stan would run out of pitch very quickly.

Royce
Powell
Marsh K. Jones
Eastwood

Subs L. Hunt, R. Whelan, Bailey, Otto, Crown

Back