• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend make double swoop

Spaceman Spiff

Attila the Admin ⭐
Staff member
Southend make double swoop

Southend are trying to secure the services of Carl Pettefer and Nick Nicolau for next season, reports BBC Essex.
Pettefer is on loan from Portsmouth and Arsenal defender Nicolau is with the Blues until the end of the season.

Southend manager Steve Tilson said: "Carl wants to sign for us and we're not far away from getting him now.

"I've also spoken Nick Nicolau so we're hopeful of tying things up with several players before the end of the season."

If they sign them up it will be a real boost for us and may encourage others to follow their lead.

When Constantine and Mayer sign i will be very optimistic for next year with them four in the squad.

Hopefully Jay Smith will follow suit as well. IF he was available for a whole season then our fortunes must change ..............

I think I'd rather have Pettefer with Maher in the middle, Gower on the right, Nicolau on the left and a new left back... Jay is an excellent option though.

That's just my opinion though

This is great news, people who want to play for the club, Nicky in the Echo says he would like to extend his say. It is though bad news for people like Clark and Jenkins as that would mean the big goodbye I would guess. Shame Jenkins is a nice guy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wickford Blue @ April 29 2004,17:19)]Shame Jenkins is a nice guy.
Somebody once said 'Nice guys dont win football matches'...

Can't remember who it was though

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ April 29 2004,17:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wickford Blue @ April 29 2004,17:19)]Shame Jenkins is a nice guy.
Somebody once said 'Nice guys dont win football matches'...

Can't remember who it was though

sad.gif
Blimey Gary Liniker and John Charles(GRS) couldnt have won any matchs then !!!

Reading between the lines does anyone get the feeling that Tilly and Brush are virtual certainties for next season? I can't see players thinking about re-committing with an air of managerial uncertainty about.

No doubt we're not going to sign everyone we would like but it's looking promising.

Woah ! If this carries on I might be forced to write a letter of gratitude to the board.

I'm not sure. But I don't see Nicolau's response as being extremely positive. He says he'd like to stay, but unfortunately he doesn't convince me like Hunt, Pettefer and Dudfield do/did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ April 29 2004,17:10)]I think I'd rather have Pettefer with Maher in the middle,
No! Petterfer played his first few games here in the middle and he was awful, barely touched the ball. When he moved onto the wing he looked a lot more comfortable and got a lot more involved, if he was here next season I'd much rather have him on the wing. Still good news about Carl though, he's worked very hard since joining.

Bu haven't been that impressed with Nick. I think he might be better on the left wing, he's certainly a very attacking left back. He's had a few dodgy moments in defence and I still think we need another left back. I wouldn't exactly be devastated if we didn't get him, which we probably wont seeing as he's from Arsenal.

Good to see Smith's close to joining too, providing he stays fit he will be valuable next season, thats if he can get in the team! With Bentley, Petterfer(providing he signs) and Hunt(ditto, which hopefully he will) it's going to be a big competition for places in central midfield.

I've been quite happy with what I've seen of Nicolau. He has good composure on the ball and is happy getting forwards. Not really fussed either wayt hough. If we don't get Nicolau, we'll probably sign someone with more experience and they will be more solid.

Would be gutted if Constantine leaves us. I'm not a fan of players who don't show loyalty to clubs that give them a 'second chance'. He wasn't exactly spoilt for choice when we signed him up.

Definitely want to see Smith back in the team. I feel that in a solid midfield, he would really excel.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ April 29 2004,21:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ April 29 2004,17:10)]I think I'd rather have Pettefer with Maher in the middle,
No! Petterfer played his first few games here in the middle and he was awful, barely touched the ball. When he moved onto the wing he looked a lot more comfortable and got a lot more involved, if he was here next season I'd much rather have him on the wing.
He came on at C*l U and played on the wing! Gimp!
rock.gif

Back