• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend only news.

Actually, I was talking to some of the checkout staff at Tesco yesterday and enquired how they are going to manage the amount of people in store come nearer Xmas as at the moment people don’t seem to mind to much with queuing as the weather is warmer but come the winter and colder it could be very different

Actually, I was talking to some of the checkout staff at Tesco yesterday and enquired how they are going to manage the amount of people in store come nearer Xmas as at the moment people don’t seem to mind to much with queuing as the weather is warmer but come the winter and colder it could be very different
You seem to forget we Brits are world champions at queuing in ANY weather.

Indeed we do love a queue but I can see some people becoming less tolerant come winter time and in particular come Xmas time

IF we get a 2nd outbreak pre christmas like what we've just gone through, probably be the end of many local small shops?. And with the prediction of a mega recession looming, & many more losing their jobs, makes you wonder what Christmas will be like?.
Daresay people in food superstores will still have food trolleys overflowing!.
Time will tell?.

IF we get a 2nd outbreak pre christmas like what we've just gone through, probably be the end of many local small shops?. And with the prediction of a mega recession looming, & many more losing their jobs, makes you wonder what Christmas will be like?.
Daresay people in food superstores will still have food trolleys overflowing!.
Time will tell?.
God forbid a second outbreak as Christmas day would just be another day!
I don't know what day it is most days in this madness.

The leaflets made their way to the Bishopsteignton estate I see so defo prioritising certain areas!

Yes, whenever they park up at Garons or anywhere in Shoebury, they always hit areas of Thorpe Bay or next to it. That is their main target. The bungalow roads coming off Station Road especially, like Marcus Avenue. There's always a few stories of the elderly being done there every year, sometimes with warnings then given in the echo after the event, and the fliers being described. As a side note, the latest on the echo site today, is that before the lot at Rayleigh moved on, the local MP had received considerable complaints, and that their dogs had attacked two different walkers on two different days.

Last edited:
IF we get a 2nd outbreak pre christmas like what we've just gone through, probably be the end of many local small shops?.

It's been the local shops where I was able to get toilet roll, pasta, rice, milk, etc., and all without having to queue for an hour; still can't get self-raising flour or baking powder in Tesco's even now, local shop has some...
Local butcher and baker the same, never more than three or people in front of me. Local greengrocer had sacks of potatoes and plenty of eggs when Asda and Tesco's had none.

To be honest, I feel we'd almost be better off if the big stores went bust and we had to go back to corner shops/convenience stores; suits most countries that I've traveled to over the last few years, outside the major towns not many have really large supermarkets along our lines.

Went to Dreams Beds this afternoon, at the Airport Estate, and purchased new headboard to finish off a room I have redecorated over this lockdown.
It was their 1st day open, sanitisers by door, signage and well organised.
No Argos open over there yet which is a surprise.

Went to Dreams Beds this afternoon, at the Airport Estate, and purchased new headboard to finish off a room I have redecorated over this lockdown.
It was their 1st day open, sanitisers by door, signage and well organised.
No Argos open over there yet which is a surprise.

I went into Sports Direct today as it was a 50% off for NHS and got there what I thought was early. However, many others did too. Finally got in the store after about hour and half of queuing and was told that they are only letting 38 people at a time go in.
Hand hand sanitiser by the entrance but no arrows etc to follow in order to walk around the store.
Managed to pick up a few needed bits and the 50% off too felt I had a good mornings shopping.
As we came away I noted that there was a quite a queue outside Dreams although a little unsure whether it was the actual queue for Home Bargains

I'm not averse to shopping and if I need something then I will go see. But for the life of me I cannot think of an occasion when I would queue for over an hour to go in a shop (sorry @Tinks). The longest I have queued for a supermarket was 10 minutes and that was a necessity for a while. No doubt others are prepared to do it, maybe because of the length of time in lockdown, and I get that, but I'll wait for the queues to die down a bit at shops and the recycling centres before I venture in.

I'm not averse to shopping and if I need something then I will go see. But for the life of me I cannot think of an occasion when I would queue for over an hour to go in a shop (sorry @Tinks). The longest I have queued for a supermarket was 10 minutes and that was a necessity for a while. No doubt others are prepared to do it, maybe because of the length of time in lockdown, and I get that, but I'll wait for the queues to die down a bit at shops and the recycling centres before I venture in.
I don't get it! I'm not going out so don't need a shop, if I get dressed up I put on some Jean's, only wear tracksuit bottoms in case someone one knocks at the door ! The rest of the time I'm in my pants.

Normally I wouldn’t queue for that length of time either but the 50% off really swayed it for me this time

Reactions: RHB
Just tried to go to the tip - Canvey queuing for an hour and a half, darted up to Pitsea and that was two and a half. Turned round and came home as we wanted to be home to pay our respects to Alf. Will try again later.

Back