• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend-Orient: a sensible dicussion

Jonny_Stokes

Sir Jonny Of Promotionshire
Right, let's have a proper chinwag about Friday.

A couple of disappointing (but all too predictable) starts to the season for our two teams. Defensive frailty and a lack of natural width seem to pervade both sides, and each of us will be looking for Friday to kickstart our seasons.

From an Orient point of view, we're just happy to be away from Brisbane Road. Geraint still hasn't cracked the problem of how to win there, and they players seem to s*** themselves every time they cross the white line at the housing estate. Away from home, our narrow shape and counter-attacking abilities usually make for a better showing.

You'll be disappointed to know that your two favourite Orient players will be missing from our line up: Sean Thornton has a knee injury, and Jason Demetriou will be away on international duty (good news, as he's been utter gash so far this season). Kristian O'Leary has come in on loan from Swansea and will slot straight into the side as Adam Chambers continues his slow recovery.

Up front, James Scowcroft has disappointed and Adrian Patulea has flattered to deceive so expect to see Scott McGleish and a revitalised Ryan Jarvis up front. Finally, Ben Chorley should have recovered from his knock, so our 'Adam Barrett' will be back alongside Tam Mkandawire (who has played like someone who knows he's too good to be here, and his heart isn't in it).

I really have no idea what's going to happen on Friday, other than that I'm going to be very drunk. What do you chaps and chapesses reckon?

J_S

Probably the kiss of death, but Mr McGleish rarely has a good game against us, be it playing for the scummers, Northampton and hopefully yourselves.

Probably the kiss of death, but Mr McGleish rarely has a good game against us, be it playing for the scummers, Northampton and hopefully yourselves.

You're probably right about the KOD, as he seems to be their main goal threat. A win is a must when you have Borient relatives!

Not while I am stuck at work - stupid backwards country that has local rather than countrywide public holidays!!! :madman:

If it's any consolation, I'm 'on call' till 08.45 tomorrow morning, then I have to go in to the day job. Back on 'sensible' thread though, I've not been following the O's' fortunes, but I agree with ESB & ST here, this is now taking on the hue of a crucial game for us. With a rampant Leeds just around the corner, we are needing a win and quickly. I'm glad Laurent's back in the reckoning and will be interested to see whether Tilly moves Grant inside to cover JFC's suspension. Either way, we need a greater attacking outlet in midfield, be it from the right (Scanners?) or through the middle (Sawyer). We may well get it also from LB if Herd plays, ie if we don't get an alternative by then...

Last edited:
We're gonna win. Simple as that. The players are going to be so furious about the injustices at Swindon that they will have been whipped into a frenzy by Tilly and Brush (who obviously has scores to settle) and will get out there firing on all cylinders ready to prove the doubters wrong. It's about time we shafted some club big time, and I can think of none better (except Colchester) than Orient.

We're gonna win. Simple as that. The players are going to be so furious about the injustices at Swindon that they will have been whipped into a frenzy by Tilly and Brush (who obviously has scores to settle) and will get out there firing on all cylinders ready to prove the doubters wrong. It's about time we shafted some club big time, and I can think of none better (except Colchester) than Orient.

Well, that's the very definition of blind optimism. Are Darlington fans saying much the same do you think? Orient haven't won for five games either, aren't we due to tonk someone? I don't think past injustices etc come into it - this is a derby, and if your players can't get up for the game without any encouragement, they need shooting (much like ours did after the corresponding fixture last year).

Ah, but I am the eternal blind optimist! They'll be up for it, no doubt about that, local rivalries and all that plus the memory of our darling Alf getting showered with glass on your manor.

Ah, but I am the eternal blind optimist! They'll be up for it, no doubt about that, local rivalries and all that plus the memory of our darling Alf getting showered with glass on your manor.

Oh ffs, you're not bringing up the West Ham pub thing again are you? Keep that to the nonsense thread I've created for the purpose, sit-vous plait.

Oh ffs, you're not bringing up the West Ham pub thing again are you? Keep that to the nonsense thread I've created for the purpose, sit-vous plait.

Don't care who or what it was, it happened on the way on the way home from your game in a residential area. Therefore completely 100% guilty as charged.

And Stevie, read your Echo, he has ligament damage to his knee.

Don't care who or what it was, it happened on the way on the way home from your game in a residential area. Therefore completely 100% guilty as charged

Leytonstone High Road is a residential area, is it? Either you're on a wind-up, or you're very sadly misinformed/stupid. Please offer something of value to the discussion or sod off. Ta.

J_S x

You try saying that to my face at the quiz young man! Bricks at the team bus coming home from Orient, don't try putting the blame elsewhere.

I will. Right after I slam dunk you in the quiz ;)

Sensible or not seems I have the bragging rights at the moment!

Last edited:
Back