• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Pull Out of Pontins

overseas shrimper

Life President⭐
Yep... on the suddenly vibrant Official Site, the latest news is that we'll be pulling out of the Pontins League... but it's not the end of the reserves.

Here it is in full. Some good points about the reasons behind the decision and how the reserves will operate in future:

Blues to Withdraw from Pontins Combination

Southend United have today announced that they won’t be entering a reserve side in the Pontins Holiday Combination League next term. The Blues only picked up four points last term, three of which came by default following
Aldershot’s withdrawal in their final fixture of the season.

“We had games cancelled a lot last season, sometimes at the last moment,” said Tilson. “We’d only get notice the morning of the game on occasions, and some of these fixtures are a long way to go with lots of travelling and it can be very costly. You just can’t plan anything with the chopping and changing of fixtures that goes on.”

The Blues finished bottom of the Combination on 4 points last term but with United pulling out it isn’t the end of the road from the second string. “Brushy and I have decided we think there’s more benefit in arranging these games ourselves. We will be sorting out friendlies that are either local or to be played at our place.”

“I think reserve team games are very important,” continued the Wickford born manager. “They enable our injured players to regain their match fitness and also for those on the fringe of the first team to show me their worth. We’ve also used these games in the past to have a look at players on trial so it’s definitely something we want to keep.”

And Steve was quick to reassure the Southend fans that it definitely wasn’t scr*pping the set-up altogether. “I promise the supporters that this isn’t us getting rid of the reserves, we’re just trying to improve the way the squad works. We think the players and the team will get more out of these games if they are arranged through friendlies, rather than in a league with all the problems that are associated with it.”

I think it's a sound move. It can't do much for players' confidence, who's on the fringes of the first team, to be gubbed week in, week out. It was no fun watching it.

I know other clubs simply arrange friendlies rather than compete in a league so it's not a groundbreaking turn of events. We have plenty to gain from this and credit to the club for doing something to get the reserves into shape.

Indeed. Leyton Orient pulled out last summer for similar reasons; possibly Paul Brush was involved in that decision as well ...

WS

Oh no waht a shame
whatever will we do now
God help us
My life it not worth living anymore
kill me now

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 13 2004,19:42)]Oh no waht a shame
whatever will we do now
God help us
kill me now
Is that you, Mr Craven?!

WS

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 13 2004,20:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 13 2004,19:42)]Oh no waht a shame
whatever will we do now
God help us
kill me now
Is that you, Mr Craven?!

WS

wink.gif
No - I'd have put my name to it!

And I think although this year was mucked about, there are better ways of going about things than withdrawing from the Combination - Orient did it last year and look where they ended up...

Back