• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend: Real ale desert

Have to admit I went to their Bethnal Green bar and was not very impressed with the beverages I tried. I am absolutely not one of these people who thinks keg is the devil though. I am more than happy to drink a Devil's Backbone or Adnams East Coast IPA, but the price markup for keg is significant for some reason.

A few of their beers are nice, the bar in Sheffield is an ok night out (if very pricey).

However I think the firm is a bit of a con, they try to make out they are some 'indie' organisation with 'punk' ethics, but instead their business model and some of their marketing is pretty problematic.

Also, as you say, you can get equally good beer for reasonable prices in plenty of other pubs and bars (although not many in SE Essex).

A few of their beers are nice, the bar in Sheffield is an ok night out (if very pricey).

However I think the firm is a bit of a con, they try to make out they are some 'indie' organisation with 'punk' ethics, but instead their business model and some of their marketing is pretty problematic.

Also, as you say, you can get equally good beer for reasonable prices in plenty of other pubs and bars (although not many in SE Essex).

Agree with that, it's wearing very thin now.

I do love there beer though.

Interesting thread ahead of my trip over in a few weeks time. The 'Craft Beer' revolution has truly taken over here in Brisbane in a huge way. When I came over here nearly 8 years ago the choice of beer was terrible (the stereotypical XXXX mainly) but now you can't move for brewpubs and craft beer places.

Yes, there is a fair bit of 'hipster w***' about the whole scene but there is some real quality beer around and anything beats drinking the swill that counts as traditional local beer.

I'm interested in trying some of the craft beer options available in the UK but in all honesty I'm just looking forward to the opportunity to get a pint of cellar temperature real ale from a hand pump on a winters day.

It's been alluded to above but probably the best ale, almost locally, and with that almost indefinably 'right' atmosphere, is at The Golden Lion in Rochford. The Railway gets my vote as the best pub in Southend though.

As a resident of West Street Rochford. I can confirm Rochford is far better than Southend.
However yes the Golden Lion is not neccesary the best Ale Pub in Rochford.
I would say that the Miley is now on par with the Golden Lion.
Anyone in Rochford Monday all Real Ale (including the bottles) is £2.50 apint

Mayflower at Leigh closes at the start of January for major rebuild and extension: including digging out a cellar. I hope it comes back enhanced but not poncey.

As a resident of West Street Rochford. I can confirm Rochford is far better than Southend.
However yes the Golden Lion is not neccesary the best Ale Pub in Rochford.
I would say that the Miley is now on par with the Golden Lion.
Anyone in Rochford Monday all Real Ale (including the bottles) is £2.50 apint

Cheers Steve....assume you'll be around for a pint or two in a few weeks time or at least some other time in December?

Live in Real Ale paradise in North East London - frankly spoilt for choice on good boozers and cracking beers. Currently recommend anything from the London Fields Brewery, Nethergate Brewery or The Mighty Oak Brewery.
Pint of Guinness for me when I'm down for the game and then train home. Southend is utter crap for pubs.

I tried a "Colchester Porter" at the Mayflower over Christmas, it was, as described chocolate and vanilla tasting, very dark and 4.5%.
An ok pint but a half is more than enough.
Anyone got any feedback on the new ale house/micro brewery place in Southchurch?

We went into The Peterboat on Saturday lunchtime, first time for about 20 years and I was impressed by the selection of real ales AND the great bar staff who knew what was available. I will be going back.

Back