• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend: Real ale desert

Jai

President ⭐
Just wondering why Southend seems to be completely devoid of decent ale pubs or the new style of brewhouse/craft beer establishment that is cropping up in other towns and improving their night-time economy?

Chelmsford has the Ale House as a speciality venue and countless real ale pubs like the Woolpack, Orange Tree, two Wetherspoons, Railway, Ship, the list is endless. Even Colchester has seen at least three 'brewhouses' spring up in the last couple of years catering for this market and we know how backwards it is up there.

As far as I can see, if you want a variety of ale in Southend town centre you have to go to the Last Post (Spoons) or the Olde Trout. I could be wrong but this was the case last time I went out in the town. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.

I went on a pub crawl in Maldon a few weeks ago and out of the ten establishments I went to, only one did not have at least three ales on.

I guess if you want to go on a night out and taste anything apart from fizzy chemicals, you have to go to Leigh or Rochford.

Very true, it is either a lager lake or alcy pops fizz.
But had nice early, 5pm, pint in The Mayflower tonight; too far to walk to and not worth the risks of having more and driving.
The Saxon King is a BIG disappointment and doesn't rate as a pub anymore than the Bell or the place nr Tesco does.

The Railway Hotel does a few.

Spoons is your best bet. .. If you can manage to stay alive long enough to get to the bar.

Indeed, Cyril. CAMRA's Pub of the Season for Summer 2015 no less, with Brewer's Gold & Ghost Ship, amongst others, on draught.

I'd put a little word in for the Hamlet Court too.

Ah. yes, Ghost Ship! very good, darker ALE.
Q? can I take my well behaved dog in the Hamlet Court while i have my pint? (or 2)

Yes apologies I did overlook the Railway Hotel which is a great pub.

I always thought that Ye Old Trout was a real ale pub .

I always thought that Ye Old Trout was a real ale pub .

It is, my point was that there are very few options, of which Ye Old Trout is one.

But it would be great to have a bar/pub like the Ale House, with dozens of ever-changing beers. Sadly I'm not sure the market is there in Southend. Businesses seem to want to cater for lager-swilling daytrippers.

It is, my point was that there are very few options, of which Ye Old Trout is one.

But it would be great to have a bar/pub like the Ale House, with dozens of ever-changing beers. Sadly I'm not sure the market is there in Southend. Businesses seem to want to cater for lager-swilling daytrippers.

Its very true, the olde trout is alright we go there for our pre match bevs but I wouldn't really go there for an evening out.

East Social club charges nearly a fiver for a pint of London Meantime Pale Ale, it was really nice but I'm not those prices in Southend.

I did see somewhere that Southend is on the top of the Brewdog list for expansion locations.

Personally I think that the Billericay Brewing Company should look at opening a brewpub in Southend.

This thread serves as a timely reminder that the annual Rochford Beer Fest is almost upon us. It's held at The Freight House right by the train station from 17th to 21st of November, and is a good night out if you're an ale lover, or want to sample some real ales.

****ing brewdog pricks

Have to admit I went to their Bethnal Green bar and was not very impressed with the beverages I tried. I am absolutely not one of these people who thinks keg is the devil though. I am more than happy to drink a Devil's Backbone or Adnams East Coast IPA, but the price markup for keg is significant for some reason.

Back