• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend sign keeper James Montgomery on loan

Actually, whether I like it or not, I think they're well thought out. You can't define a loan as an emergency and then put the player in question on the bench. That simply can't be seen as an emergency.

Don't forget emergency loans are only for a week. If we extend the loan into, say, a normal loan until the end of the season then him and Seadon (and Oxley when he's fit) can fight it out.

We can’t extend the loan outside of the transfer window. All we can do is renew it week by week.

Me: I’ve learned my lesson not to make over the top judgements based on compilation videos and it’s not going to happen again.

Also me: THIS GUY IS UNBELIEVABLE!!
Sign him up now!!!
Only one game and he had not much to do but he certainly looked the part. He’s not an untried youngster .
Obviously we should make every effort possible to persuade Oxley not to move back to a higher level, but this guy might be good for a couple of seasons,while Seaden is learning the game.

It's not a big deal really. We've had emergency loan keepers before: Sturrock brought in someone (can't remember whom; Walton?) because he didn't think Bentley was ready yet, and likewise Powell brought in freelance keeper David Stockdale because he didn't think Bishop was ready. And there was Gunnarson last season. Nothing new.

I recall halcyon days where we had flavs and bart duking it out for the jersey..

Brings a tear to the eye...

Only one game and he had not much to do but he certainly looked the part. He’s not an untried youngster .
Obviously we should make every effort possible to persuade Oxley not to move back to a higher level, but this guy might be good for a couple of seasons,while Seaden is learning the game.
I sincerely doubt oxley will be moving to a higher level.

I do not think Ox is a bad keeper, he is as good as most in this and L1 most games.
He is, from what I read, a high earner in the squad who is in his contracted last half a season.
He has had injury problems for the last few seasons.
He has been a major part in a number of losing squads under varied managers.
If an acceptable deal to him and club is done then he may be here next season.
Would I bet on it? Not unless the odds where very high and probably not then either.
Chamberlain, Bass, A N Other might well be very interested in the No1 shirt here, for next 2 or 3 seasons.

Look he had little to do and Ron could have probably kept it to nil other than the penalty. Having said that he seemed confident and solid, distribution ok and lets face is if you are playing in the Conference north (or rather not) this is a win win. We get a keeper and he gets games- and if it could lead to a contract with an EFL club he is going to jump at it.

And I am certainly going to hope he doesn't get tested any more than Cheltenham tested him so I'm not complaining!!

I guess that in theory if Oxley’s injury was season ending ( I know it’s only minor) we could just keep extending week by week until end of the season or try a different one each week?

Thought he looked very assured and felt far more confident with him between the sticks. Looks like a natural keeper which we haven’t had since Flavinho!

I do not think Ox is a bad keeper, he is as good as most in this and L1 most games.
He is, from what I read, a high earner in the squad who is in his contracted last half a season.
He has had injury problems for the last few seasons.
He has been a major part in a number of losing squads under varied managers.
If an acceptable deal to him and club is done then he may be here next season.
Would I bet on it? Not unless the odds where very high and probably not then either.
Chamberlain, Bass, A N Other might well be very interested in the No1 shirt here, for next 2 or 3 seasons.

I would have thought there is zero chance of him being here next season. I believe it's been confirmed by Ron that he is our highest earner, and that is going to be more than double what some of them are getting.

Was very impressed by Montgomery the other night and looking forward to seeing more from him on Saturday.

I agree. All I was saying is that oxley will pretty likely have to take a pay cut at the end of this contract wherever he goes. So his current pay should not be seen as a showstopper. He was our POTY before signing that contract and his value was high.
MM of course may want someone else or oxley may prefer a move.

Could be a shrewd play by the club. With Oxley's contract being up and Montgomery hasn't only signed a one-year-contract from one short article I can find... Who knows...

Back