• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend sign keeper James Montgomery on loan

Wonder if he's one to look for next season, if Oxley is too expensive or wants to go.

Yes, I wondered this too. Would seem to make sense.

I'm sure there are some decent keepers in non-league and there are only so many first team openings. Montgomery has played for England C and had experience in L2. With 18 football league appearances he may have had more experience than the other options we had.

I think our last keeper we signed from that level was Flahavan. We were looking at one earlier this season - anyone remember who?

Feel for Seadon and I bet he wonders what he has got to do
I understand the need to have a sub goalkeeper so not sure whether this guy is going straight in the team tonight or whether Season will

Given that MM and his team are very much data-driven, due diligence, kind of people, one would assume this isn't just a name they plucked out of nowhere but someone they've had their eyes on for a while - possibly even to bring to Southend next season. I think we should trust them on this - probably less risk than a youngster from a Championship or League 1 club and the alternative is to start Seaden and have a schoolkid on the bench.

If the law is that we have to start emergency loan keepers, then I would hope Seadon would understand despite the disappointment that we would rather have two senior keepers than a 16 year old on the bench. Just need some careful man management and there should be no issues.

Feel for Seadon and I bet he wonders what he has got to do
I understand the need to have a sub goalkeeper so not sure whether this guy is going straight in the team tonight or whether Season will
I've shared this so many times now, but I'll share it one final time. If you sign a keeper on the emergency 7-day loan rule, then they must start the game.

MM has no choice in the matter, James Montgomery will be starting tonight - there's no point getting upset about it. It's the rules (see 57.4 below).

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 11.15.13.png

I am the only who doesn't really "feel for Seadon"?

I remember going to an away game at Bolton - Kypo scored and then in the 2nd half Ted Smith (in his first or one of his first games) made an error and Bolton scored. Thereafter I saw him play in goal a number of times when I thought he wasn't really ready for the pressure.

With the number of subs we are currently allowed (I forget - I think it was up to 27 last time I looked) there remains the option to bring on Seadon at an appropriate time where he can gain experience without the risk of being criticised for any errors that may cost up precious points that we cannot afford to lose.

Is that not an alternative way forward?

I wonder if James is related to goalkeeper Jim Montgomery who was a Sunderland legend just up the road in the North East.

Can't help but feel that the emergency loan rules about the loan having to start aren't particularly well thought out. Given the choice I suspect we'd start Seaden but since we don't really want to risk not having a goalkeeper on the bench we've been forced into starting a non-league keeper rather than a youth players because that's the rules, the rule as it's written discourages clubs from giving their young keeper a shot of the first choice is injured because it would mean they couldn't name a sub keeper.

Pleased with this. Seaden played well second half and showed himself in a good light. MM sees his keepers everyday and if he doesn't think the kid is ready that is fine with me.

I've shared this so many times now, but I'll share it one final time. If you sign a keeper on the emergency 7-day loan rule, then they must start the game.

MM has no choice in the matter, James Montgomery will be starting tonight - there's no point getting upset about it. It's the rules (see 57.4 below).

View attachment 14578
Feel sorry for Harry but as you say, that's the way the ruling is. Will we now have played 4 'keepers in 4 games? Oxley, Seadon, Bass, Montgomery?

Back