• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend sign keeper James Montgomery on loan

I agree, I don't feel bad for Seaden at all. His time may come, but frankly the idea that we would go into a game with one GK in the squad when we are fighting relegation from League 2 is absolutely crackers.

I would far rather have a fella who has played 150 games + of adult football (and as has been pointed out is regarded as one of the best outside the FL) than Harry Seaden between the sticks tonight. Harry may well go on to be a very good goalkeeper, he already is a good goalkeeper I'm sure, but now is the not the right time for us to be finding out whether he is ready yet. Maybe if we were 12th, but we're not.

This chap may well have a stinker tonight. That wouldn't change the fact that MM and the club have done exactly the right thing in getting someone else in.

Good luck tonight James Montgomery, welcome to the circus.

It's not a big deal really. We've had emergency loan keepers before: Sturrock brought in someone (can't remember whom; Walton?) because he didn't think Bentley was ready yet, and likewise Powell brought in freelance keeper David Stockdale because he didn't think Bishop was ready. And there was Gunnarson last season. Nothing new.

Another club record (bizarre though it is)?

The same thing happened towards the end of last season. Oxley started against Coventry City, was injured and replaced by Callum Taylor on 86 minutes. Harry Seaden started (and finished) the next match against Gillingham, but we then brought in Patrick Gunnarsson on an emergency goalkeeper loan for the third match that week, against Burton.

Don’t fully understand this signing to be honest. Surely he goes On the bench and seaden starts?

Don’t fully understand this signing to be honest. Surely he goes On the bench and seaden starts?

Under FL rules emergency keepers have to start.

So our choice was play for the next month and a half with no keeper on the bench or sign a keeper and play him ahead of Seaden.

Under FL rules emergency keepers have to start.

So our choice was play for the next month and a half with no keeper on the bench or sign a keeper and play him ahead of Seaden.

if that’s the rule, it makes sense. otherwise a kick in the teeth for Seaden

Obviously he wasn't tested much today but a good start for him, if he keeps it up and Oxley ends up leaving in the Summer could he be a potential replacement?

He is 6ft 2 according to Wikipedia but he looks incredibly short! Didn’t have hardly anything to do but looked assured when coming for crosses.

Can't help but feel that the emergency loan rules about the loan having to start aren't particularly well thought out. Given the choice I suspect we'd start Seaden but since we don't really want to risk not having a goalkeeper on the bench we've been forced into starting a non-league keeper rather than a youth players because that's the rules, the rule as it's written discourages clubs from giving their young keeper a shot of the first choice is injured because it would mean they couldn't name a sub keeper.

Actually, whether I like it or not, I think they're well thought out. You can't define a loan as an emergency and then put the player in question on the bench. That simply can't be seen as an emergency.

Don't forget emergency loans are only for a week. If we extend the loan into, say, a normal loan until the end of the season then him and Seadon (and Oxley when he's fit) can fight it out.

Back