• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend slang

Reg Martin

No Relation
Met a guy up here (Teesside) yesterday who is originally from Southchurch area of Southend - he kept using the phrase 'whopper' to refer to someone who tells lies rather than a lie itself. I've never come across this before - wondered if this was a new expression developed in Southend area since I left it in early 80s or did I just a lead a sheltered existence in Leigh-on-Sea?!
He is West Ham fan :guns: so wondered maybe if had picked it up from fellow Hamsters as he also referred to Diamond Geezers (!) which I never remember anyone in Southend using.

Well Geeezee(takes over from his son's talk)...Wots 'apppening if you can't keep up with the Lingo..You some Rood boy....Innit..Me and my Homies are safe so keep Kool.

*slaps hands and then knuckles*

Well Geeezee(takes over from his son's talk)...Wots 'apppening if you can't keep up with the Lingo..You some Rood boy....Innit..Me and my Homies are safe so keep Kool.

Thanks, mate, that's cleared that up!!!:D

Chillax... a lot of my mates talk about 'the ends' or 'the end' but i know that is quite east london.. but appropriate for Southend

As in 'Have you been telling whoppers again son?''

I've used that before, but wouldn't say it was southend Slang.

However, I'm sure we could come up with some.

Southend Pier- Queer
Roots Hall- Ball

Anyone else come up with some more?

I remember using the word MUSTARD! as general term to refer to anything that was good, bad, ugly or weird. As for whopper thats just a term for a big lie is'nt it.

In the rougher parts of Shoeburyness the cry of "you flupping Matt Harrold!" rings around the sink estates. A particually obese child yells it to his playmate, as the plastic football plops into the briny waves. A slightly fey pre-pubescent crumbles onto the dog-**** strewn pavement and weeps as if his father has told him that's he's running off with Uncle Stuart.

Come on mate, get it right. There's no such thing as "cool" anymore (however you spell it), the word is "book".

If anyone can work out why i'll give them my first ever rep points!

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets?
The Quran?
The Amazing Mr. Wibbly and his Inflatable Trousers?

However, as I'm so down with the kids, I know that with predictive text "BOOK" comes up first when you type "COOL" on yer mobile.

Come on mate, get it right. There's no such thing as "cool" anymore (however you spell it), the word is "book".

If anyone can work out why i'll give them my first ever rep points!

predictive text on mobiles. type in cool and you get book and youngsters can't be bothered to change it

Dont come in here giving it the 'Barry' sunshine.. you will look a right 'James' .. Now where is that 'Ayrton' you owe me

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets?
The Quran?
The Amazing Mr. Wibbly and his Inflatable Trousers?

However, as I'm so down with the kids, I know that with predictive text "BOOK" comes up first when you type "COOL" on yer mobile.

Correct! And done; consider yourself reputated!

As in 'Have you been telling whoppers again son?''

I've used that before, but wouldn't say it was southend Slang.

"Telling whoppers" I'm familiar with but phrase he was using was "You are a whopper" which I've never heard of before. Though it could have been worse, he could have said "Yerjokingarentyer, ah swear down I love Boro me" - Teesside for "I think you are mistaken old chap, I am absolutely certain that I support Middlesbrough Football Club"

Back