• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
A criticism that has long been laid at the Trust's door is their inability to listen to criticism and to embrace the different factions of supporters. For that reason, on behalf of the Trust I am posting this with a view to gaining representation of the Zone at the forthcoming planned Supporters Group meeting as thus far, it has not been possible to do so. Please pm me if you are interested in representing SZ and I will pass your contact details on:

On behalf of the Trust, the three of us - Tom Brooks, Darren Posnack and Lesley Hicks would like to invite representatives from our fellow supporter groups for an informal get together in the Shrimpers Bar at Roots Hall.
So as to give everyone a chance to co-ordinate diaries we are proposing a meeting on Tuesday 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December.
I do hope that you (and one or two of your colleagues) will want to join us. It would be helpful if you could confirm your availability. It’s suggested that we start at 7.30pm.
As for the Agenda – how about “getting to know each other better”. We can of course also cover any specific items that anyone wants to raise.

Last edited:
Any response? We have secured representatives from several groups associated with SUFC but no-one as yet from either SZ or TZ. It would be a huge disappointment if this went ahead without representation of these.

A criticism that has long been laid at the Trust's door is their inability to listen to criticism and to embrace the different factions of supporters. For that reason, on behalf of the Trust I am posting this with a view to gaining representation of the Zone at the forthcoming planned Supporters Group meeting as thus far, it has not been possible to do so. Please pm me if you are interested in representing SZ and I will pass your contact details on:

On behalf of the Trust, the three of us - Tom Brooks, Darren Posnack and Lesley Hicks would like to invite representatives from our fellow supporter groups for an informal get together in the Shrimpers Bar at Roots Hall.
So as to give everyone a chance to co-ordinate diaries we are proposing a meeting on Tuesday 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December.
I do hope that you (and one or two of your colleagues) will want to join us. It would be helpful if you could confirm your availability. It’s suggested that we start at 7.30pm.
As for the Agenda – how about “getting to know each other better”. We can of course also cover any specific items that anyone wants to raise.

Genuine question - whatever happened to all £5 + donations given by NON-trust members (me included) to help out with a tax bill a few years back? I think it was given to Ron, then eventually paid back. Like I say genuine question - I'm sure it's being put to good use by the trust, but would be good to know?
Cheers

Genuine question - whatever happened to all £5 + donations given by NON-trust members (me included) to help out with a tax bill a few years back? I think it was given to Ron, then eventually paid back. Like I say genuine question - I'm sure it's being put to good use by the trust, but would be good to know?
Cheers

Answered by pm.

Sufcfans care to share the answer with the rest of us plebs?

I see no reason why not given the collection was openly advertised on here

"I think you may be confusing two different things here. The Trust loaned Ron £60k which was repaid with interest. The only money raised from non members was for the fighting fund for "Save our Southend" about 5 years ago, this money is still held in the accounts of the Trust.

Regards"

very good ESB... let's not take the politics route... It seems that no one from SZ is available for comment...

Ok I'll try a serious post.

I'm all for the Trust trying to engage with fans and trying to take views and criticism on board. I wrote a long post a while ago about why the Trust and fans have the same objectives/desire, and why working together is sensible.

However, there's a difference between working with fans, and looking for 'representation from SZ'. SZ isn't a supporters group or organisation. It's a privately run and funded message board which has been owned by various SUFC fans over the years.

If you want to engage with 'SZ' - then it's a messageboard - it's literally the easiest place to engage with SUFC fans.

If you want representation, then you're unlikely to get that. Firstly, because we all disagree on things. Secondly, because people didn't sign up for Zone to become a member of 'a supporters group'. Thirdly, because although we're a community there isn't someone on here who can claim to represent the views of the membership - even the owners.

Finally - Talking about 'factions' of fans is really divisive.

Finally finally - If the original post was just about 'supporters', rather than 'supporters groups' - it'd be spot on.

I'm all for the Trust trying to engage with fans and trying to take views and criticism on board. I wrote a long post a while ago about why the Trust and fans have the same objectives/desire, and why working together is sensible.

However, there's a difference between working with fans, and looking for 'representation from SZ'. SZ isn't a supporters group or organisation. It's a privately run and funded message board which has been owned by various SUFC fans over the years.

If you want to engage with 'SZ' - then it's a messageboard - it's literally the easiest place to engage with SUFC fans.

If you want representation, then you're unlikely to get that. Firstly, because we all disagree on things. Secondly, because people didn't sign up for Zone to become a member of 'a supporters group'. Thirdly, because although we're a community there isn't someone on here who can claim to represent the views of the membership - even the owners.

Finally finally - If the original post was just about 'supporters', rather than 'supporters groups' - it'd be spot on.

I thought many of the people on SZ were the people who started SUISA , so therefore they did start a supporters group on the basis of asking people to join?
Though technically SZ was not seen as having any involvement with the new supporters group, they had the fan /poster base to provide a platform for those who thought they could do a better job or be in a position to seek answers from the club

UTS

I thought many of the people on SZ were the people who started SUISA , so therefore they did start a supporters group on the basis of asking people to join?
Though technically SZ was not seen as having any involvement with the new supporters group, they had the fan /poster base to provide a platform for those who thought they could do a better job or be in a position to seek answers from the club

UTS

I think you are misunderstanding what Pubey is saying. A lot of posters on here are 'simply' fans with no intention of being in a formalised group or faction. What they share is a love of Southend.

Fair play to the trust though for trying to sort something

I see no reason why not given the collection was openly advertised on here

"I think you may be confusing two different things here. The Trust loaned Ron £60k which was repaid with interest. The only money raised from non members was for the fighting fund for "Save our Southend" about 5 years ago, this money is still held in the accounts of the Trust.

Regards"

Sorry, so when was the loan made? I thought it was 'about 5 years ago'....

Very well said sir.

I think it's a good idea to all pull in the same direction, and get to know each other better, but Pubey has a good point. On that basis, why can't the topics discussed at the said meeting be posted on here so that we can all give our views.

I agree with Pubey. It would be very hard to have people representing ShrimperZone at that meeting. You only have to read some of the posts on here to see how different we see things. And then you would get why didn't you ask this and that?

Thank you to Old Blue Eyes for making contact on behalf of TZ. The whole point of this "get together" is to make contact with other groups and to discuss how we can all work together to the benefit of SUFC. It is NOT an opportunity to ask questions that should be directed to Ron Martin.

We already have TBV, All at Sea, disabled supporters and, I believe, the Exiles represented, now with TZ as well, it only really leaves SZ of the most obvious groups not represented. I believe one or two others were also invited but were unable to attend for one reason or another. To have a meeting without anyone representing SZ would be a sad thing in my opinion.

Seems like a great idea to me. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. At the very least the reps could report back here and their reports would be seen as unbiased. I think it's great that the Trust has reacted in this way.

In the past few years I have had many meetings with Ron Martin , Steve Kavanagh and the Trust and other supporter's groups to discuss numerous issues.

It is extremely difficult to put across any meaningful discussions representing ShrimperZone as we are a platform for people's opinions and a method of fans world-wide keeping in touch and, as such, have many differing views on every subject.

I have submitted numerous questions on behalf of members but little or no response to certain issues but have had good responses from SK with specific problems regarding ticketing and stadium problems.

Unfortunately my full-time job, work on the Zone, personal commitments in the evenings make it unlikely at this time I could spend any time at meetings.

Back