• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

Love it - just mention or suggest a place and TBD's there with his camera - brilliant :Thumbs up:

Anyone remember the old Stanley Gibbons (?) stamp shop off the High Street mid-late 60's ? It was, if I recall, somewhere off on the right as you went down towards the Front. Possibly Queen's Road ? Not sure now....

I forgot to mention the greatest shop in Southend, refusing to move with the times in any way shape or form and open when it suits the owner.

The One, The Only! - Africa Crafts Centre - in Queens Road! :Happy:

I bought an ethnic style necklace there in 1990.

I forgot to mention the greatest shop in Southend, refusing to move with the times in any way shape or form and open when it suits the owner.

The One, The Only! - Africa Crafts Centre - in Queens Road! :Happy:

Not in the high street but Music King near Chalkwell Park deserves a mention.

Love it - just mention or suggest a place and TBD's there with his camera - brilliant :Thumbs up:

Anyone remember the old Stanley Gibbons (?) stamp shop off the High Street mid-late 60's ? It was, if I recall, somewhere off on the right as you went down towards the Front. Possibly Queen's Road ? Not sure now....

That could be A F Jackson Hodgson at 15, Clarence Street, just off the High Street, they used to sell stamps to philatelists, the shop closed in 2008 when the owners retired. (sorry no pic) The building is now Clarence Restaurant and Cafe.

See Echo story
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/2361539.42-years-of-stamp-duty-comes-to-an-end/

a couple of decorative bricks of carved fish that were in the Victorian entrance were saved and are in the water feature in the walled garden in Priory park.

I didn't realise that. My mum likes the walled garden, so I must tell her next time we are there.

Great pic, too. :Thumbs up:

That could be A F Jackson Hodgson at 15, Clarence Street, just off the High Street, they used to sell stamps to philatelists, the shop closed in 2008 when the owners retired. (sorry no pic) The building is now Clarence Restaurant and Cafe.

See Echo story
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/2361539.42-years-of-stamp-duty-comes-to-an-end/

It could very well have been that one - I just can't remember, though mention of Alexandra Street does ring more of a bell. Lots of memories of Dad and I going there when I was a youngster and when Dad passed a couple of years ago he left me his collection.

Thank-you for that information :Highfive:

Talking of old shops, there’s an old gents outfitters along the Leigh Road, in Leigh which has been dormant for nearly 20 years.
b89191cb-086b-42cc-aa07-580f0d98d7dd_image_jpeg.jpg

The Herbert Wiltshire shop was closed when I moved to Leigh 18 years ago, and seems to be in a time warp, no one really knows why it has never been sold or re opened.

Last time I looked in the window there were some old classic Gabicci jumpers on display!

Last edited:
I didn't realise that. My mum likes the walled garden, so I must tell her next time we are there.

Great pic, too. :Thumbs up:
Thanks Andy. I think I must have read this somewhere but the clincher was going to the Pier Museum some time ago and they have a model of the entrance and there were the fish. I thought "where have I seen those?" Priory Park in my humble opinion is a real gem.

Have to say I'm really enjoying this thread. The only thing that is a little depressing is that none of the buildings that have replaced those demolished are any use. Ugly ugly and ugly just about sums them up. My pet hate is the old brutalist Barclays Bank that replaced the Victoria Hotel. Still all towns suffered this 1960s hatred of the old and especially the Victorian.
The original plan for the ring road was to plough through the Clifftown estate (the jewel in Southend's crown) and link with Gordon Road which would have just about killed off the remains of Southend's original heart in one fell swoop.

When we bought our first house in Oakleigh Park Drive Leigh (the only place we could afford - no one wanted to live off the Broadway), the solicitor mentioned the "Leigh Road Link". Although the detail is a little hazy my recollection was the plan/proposal was that they extend Leigh Road through Henry's Burgers as is now through Leighton and Oakleigh Park Drive linking North Street eventually with Cliff Parade, I thought that even Southend Council were not this mad and we bought the house.
Never underestimate the madness of planners.

I make you 100% right on the Hotel Victoria. Such a beautiful building and the original gateway to the High Street. What I love about it is the balcony above the entrance that's overlooking the Victoria Circus Roundabout. Can imagine sitting there on a summer morning taking in the view back along the tree lined Victoria Avenue as the town awakes.

I need to go to the Pier Museum again, as well. Haven't been there for ages.

Here's something. I lived in Oakleigh Park Drive myself for 14 years so I know the area really well. There have been many thoughts on how to improve things and traffic flow. They desperately need a Park & Ride scheme. Maybe from Leigh Marshes.

Not sure if you still live in OPD. When I was last there, the thought was to make all those roads one-way to re-organise traffic. That might help. Half the problem is people driving around trying to find somewhere to park.

Talking of old shops, there’s an old gents outfitters along the Leigh Road, in Leigh which has been dormant for nearly 20 years.
b89191cb-086b-42cc-aa07-580f0d98d7dd_image_jpeg.jpg

The Herbert Wiltshire shop was closed when I moved to Leigh 18 years ago, and seems to be in a time warp, no one really knows why it has never been sold or re opened.

Last time I looked in the window there were some old classic Gabicci jumpers on display!

The company Herbert Wiltshire Ltd is still in existence and registered as a dormant company at Companies House.

Looking at the accounts it has not traded since the end of 2010, Gordon Herbert Wiltshire is still registered as a director and major share holder, he was born in 1938 and he signed the latest accounts in March this year,.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00246334

Know it well. I often used to walk down Redcliff and along Queens Road if I fancied a stroll down to the cliffs. Love the old cottage style houses on Queens Road. It's a shame the motor car is so dominant these days that these roads are ridiculously overloaded with parked cars.

Agreed on The Grand. Spent a few nights there before it closed down.

we've got 2 new next door neighbours. Both young families. Really nice. Loads of babies and toddlers about. Anyway I was talking to one who had just moved from London. We were talking about parking. I said the secret is buy a small car and you increase your chances. He obviously took it to heart and has a BMW that is about 30 foot long. :Smile:

Quality! :Smile:

Must pop back to Leigh for a proper wander around.

I hear the old greengrocer has upped sticks as well now, since I was last there.

Remember seeing a band called Second Image, amongst others, at TOTS

Also Zero6 had some great live bands on a Monday night, including Level 42 one night.
I saw second image at Tots light of the world at Zero 6 and Level 42 at the jazz bar beneath the old hotel at the bottom of Hamlet court road.British Jazz Funk in the 80s great days,

They were great days, definitely.

Also saw Hi-Tension at Zero 6 and on the bigger stage of the Cliffs Pavilion - Shakatak and the UK Players.

Pretty much caught most of the bands of that era over the years, except Freeez, who I would have liked to have seen.

The Penny Farthing. Is that what became Scamps and then Rain?

I was a member at Zero6 for four years between 1979 and 1983. Often attended Zhivago's as well.

As for Quills, I went in there once, when we couldn't get into TOTS. Remember the plastic glasses and I'm sure the DJ had a coat on, presumably for a quick exit!
There was also Chesters beneath Marks and spencers
They were great days, definitely.

Also saw Hi-Tension at Zero 6 and on the bigger stage of the Cliffs Pavilion - Shakatak and the UK Players.

Pretty much caught most of the bands of that era over the years, except Freeez, who I would have liked to have seen.
Uk Players single Girl where he holds the note for ages l so love Southern Freez,dont forget Central Line think that was Tots

Back