• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

Of course, Central Line.

Yep, remember Girl really well. That was a good concert that night.

The whole album with Southern Freeez on it is excellent. Direct Drive were another good band, though I don't think they played live down here.

I forgot to mention the greatest shop in Southend, refusing to move with the times in any way shape or form and open when it suits the owner.

The One, The Only! - Africa Crafts Centre - in Queens Road! :Happy:

In the same vain, Oh Yeah in Southchurch Road and Indian Rising in Alexandra Street. The owner was a bloke called Mark Miller who got both ideas from trips to America. I used to work with him years ago on the post.

I think he still has a shop in Southend doing limited lines in clothing.

talking of demolition plans have been put to the Council regarding the Grade 2 listed Park Road Methodist Church which has been empty for years. The hall will be totally demolished for the great god the car (parking) and the main church developed in to flats with some demolition. Milton conservation group are concerned and looking at the plans in detail before making any representations to the Council.
A tricky one. What do you do with a building that has lost its purpose and no one really wants in its existing state.

1544302667261.png

Oh come on, you can't pull that down, look at tbe building, it's beautiful. I'm in no way religious but I do like a church with history. How old is it?

Of course, Central Line.

Yep, remember Girl really well. That was a good concert that night.

The whole album with Southern Freeez on it is excellent. Direct Drive were another good band, though I don't think they played live down here.
I was luckily enough to meet Paul Hardcastle at our companys charity day around 7 years ago.. Got him to sign my direct drive vinyl album>.

'Time Machine' was one of the unsung tracks of that era.

Good to hear the Hardcastle is still around. Some of his early stuff as First Light was up there with the best UK stuff of the time.

Oh come on, you can't pull that down, look at tbe building, it's beautiful. I'm in no way religious but I do like a church with history. How old is it?
Not as old as you'd think - 1870 according to this....
http://www.essexviews.uk/photos/Ess...uthend-Church-Essex-Methodist-Westcliffe.html

Southend-Church-Essex-Methodist-Westcliffe.jpg

Great stuff. The music is Soul Bossa Nova by Quincey Jones. The flute bit is played by Roland Kirk who I saw at the Cliffs Pavilion. He was fantastic. He could play 3 saxes at once and did an incredible version of my Cherie Amour on flute. I dare not think what year it was.

Great pics in post #312.

I'd query a few of those dates on those photos, though, I think.

Also, whither Dowsett Avenue! :Sad:

Last edited:
Great stuff. The music is Soul Bossa Nova by Quincey Jones. The flute bit is played by Roland Kirk who I saw at the Cliffs Pavilion. He was fantastic. He could play 3 saxes at once and did an incredible version of my Cherie Amour on flute. I dare not think what year it was.

Choon! :Cool:

Sampled, of course, by The Dream Warriors.

Back