• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

Looking back, you realise how many old hotels there were in the town.

On the photos in #312 there's one of the corner of the Middleton Hotel. It's the one that says 1976, but I think is late 60's. I am sure the front entrance to The Odeon didn't exist by 1976 and the film showing is 'Carry On Again Doctor' which was released in 1969,

The thing is, as late as the early 1970's there were still plenty of hotels in and around the High Street, despite SBC's crusade to have everything of character demolished.

However, fast forward 10 years and pretty much all the hotels had gone.

Things I never knew existed :-

d0f146075111e91f98cbd2c0eccacf4f.jpg

Yeah, I was amazed to see some empty parking spaces too :Stunned:

Oh, hang on.....:Blush:

LOL! :Smile:

They were probably free then, as well, rather than pay machines that never work!

'Time Machine' was one of the unsung tracks of that era.

Good to hear the Hardcastle is still around. Some of his early stuff as First Light was up there with the best UK stuff of the time.
Don't depend on me is one of my favs ,,,love Derek Greens vocals.One of my mates hates Paul Hardcastle because he used to pick up his now longterm wife Dolores from school in his lotus She was the hottest girl in his year!

Found this one amongst some of my old photos, it is not Southend High Street, but Westcliff High Street (Hamlet Court Road) looking north from the railway bridge, love these old photos of our town.

Halmlet Court Road.jpeg

and just one car.

Halmlet Court Road - Copy.jpeg

Things I never knew existed :-

d0f146075111e91f98cbd2c0eccacf4f.jpg
Have just asked them on the Ros Past and Present FB page for a bit more information on this, it's obviously right near the Arches cafes but I don't know any more than that at the moment.

Found this one too @AndyT , the same arch lit up for the illuminations and marking the western most end of them by the toilets near the Arches.

47123963_10217006874661565_1425386030772518912_n.jpg

And another, in colour this time. Judging by the date, it may well still have been there when I was little so I might be remembering it correctly.

10398414_1054730187918934_7699182981298778414_n.jpg

Many thanks, OBL.

I agree it must have been near The Arches. I think on the left of the original picture posted, you can see the stone wall that it next to the current toilets there, so I'd say it was where the central reservation car parking now starts, just by The Arches, as you say.

Here is another No 7 bus turning from Warrior Square into the High Street, note Keddies in the back ground.

49690688_10158111436429148_5215363244046155776_n.jpg

Big Dady I think that the bus is coming out of Warrior Square into the High Street - Whitegate Road is the next turning down behind the photographer who was standing in front of the Odeon. I used to catch my bus to school from there.

Big Dady I think that the bus is coming out of Warrior Square into the High Street - Whitegate Road is the next turning down behind the photographer who was standing in front of the Odeon. I used to catch my bus to school from there.
Ah yes you are correct, thanks for pointing that out, it is Warrior Square with the National Westminster Bank on the corner and Keddies behind it.

I have now amended caption.

Here are some more pics of the Queens Hotel Hamlet Court Road.

Queens Hotel 1908
Queens Hotel 1908.jpg

Queens Hotel (date unknown)
QueensHotel1965.jpg

Queens Hotel 1985Queens Hotel 1985.jpg

Queens Hotel just before demolitionQueens Hotel Just before it was demolished.jpg

Remember the lights all along the seafront (up to the arches) always looked forward to seeing them and our yearly visit to Never-Never Land. Southend seem more of a fun place then.

what a great photo of the Queens Hotel..didnt it "burn down" ??? many years ago.
I believe in Germany,when a old-(protected,it may have been) building burns down(strangley or not)...you must rebuild that building how it was before or as good as possible.
Insurance....it helps stops old building suddenly catching fire...then other properties being built on that site...only for profit..
Great photo of the Southend corp bus..no 7...used that number bus for decades
Great memories.
Its s sad that Southend CC lets so many great old building be pulled down

Here are some more pics of the Queens Hotel Hamlet Court Road.

Queens Hotel 1908
View attachment 6996

Queens Hotel (date unknown)
View attachment 6997

Queens Hotel 1985View attachment 6998

Queens Hotel just before demolitionView attachment 6999

I had some really funny nights in there. We would go there on the talent night by bus(London Road back to Leigh) just for the laugh as it was cheap booze night as well. So we could get drunk cheap and watch some amazingly bad local singers, magicians, dancers, comedians. etc. It was like watching a version of Britain's got talent the early round where they think they are good, but are really bad. The crowd could get quite boisterous as well as most turned up the same reason we did, which added to it. You would get the odd good act, but not many.

Back