• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

Did you know the original organ in The Ritz was relocated to the Odeon in Blackpool ?

I used go in the tackle shop as well. I also remember a few of the clubs. Used to be Quill's behind what is now Chinnery's, Rain's, Zhivago's and Scamps.

And what was the record shop I used to go in .... Queens Road or Alexander Street

Anyone remember the Penny Farthing in Elmer Approach opposite the Odeon, or the Zero 6 out by the airport?

Did you know the original organ in The Ritz was relocated to the Odeon in Blackpool ?

I used go in the tackle shop as well. I also remember a few of the clubs. Used to be Quill's behind what is now Chinnery's, Rain's, Zhivago's and Scamps.

And what was the record shop I used to go in .... Queens Road or Alexander Street

I was a regular at Quills on a Friday and Saturday in the height of summer for about 3 years. It was half locals and half Stag, hen or beano's, mostly from London. It could be a really great party atmosphere with everyone getting on, or could be absolute bedlam, wild west bar brawl with glasses and punches flying everywhere. I think they were the first to bring in plastic glasses. The Beano's would arrive by coach. You would see a massive line of coaches in the seaway car park. They were normally the ones that had come down for a pub crawl and a punch up. The seafront was a dangerous place in those days. After Eddie Quill saw me stop a few fights near the bar, he somehow talked me into being a doorman, on double pay and free drinks. Doorman usually lasted a few weeks there at most. Sounds brave, doesn't it, I lasted one night, Lol. I was threatened non stop, especially if not letting in a dodgy looking coach party. I was praying to get out in one piece. I did, Phew. I had seen so many doorman beaten up there. Being anything like a doorman was not for me ever again.

Anyone remember the Penny Farthing in Elmer Approach opposite the Odeon, or the Zero 6 out by the airport?

The Penny Farthing. Is that what became Scamps and then Rain?

I was a member at Zero6 for four years between 1979 and 1983. Often attended Zhivago's as well.

As for Quills, I went in there once, when we couldn't get into TOTS. Remember the plastic glasses and I'm sure the DJ had a coat on, presumably for a quick exit!

I was a regular at Quills on a Friday and Saturday in the height of summer for about 3 years. It was half locals and half Stag, hen or beano's, mostly from London. It could be a really great party atmosphere with everyone getting on, or could be absolute bedlam, wild west bar brawl with glasses and punches flying everywhere. I think they were the first to bring in plastic glasses. The Beano's would arrive by coach. You would see a massive line of coaches in the seaway car park. They were normally the ones that had come down for a pub crawl and a punch up. The seafront was a dangerous place in those days. After Eddie Quill saw me stop a few fights near the bar, he somehow talked me into being a doorman, on double pay and free drinks. Doorman usually lasted a few weeks there at most. Sounds brave, doesn't it, I lasted one night, Lol. I was threatened non stop, especially if not letting in a dodgy looking coach party. I was praying to get out in one piece. I did, Phew. I had seen so many doorman beaten up there. Being anything like a doorman was not for me ever again.

Yes it has only really improved in the last 10-15 years down the whole seafront. As you said it could be a bad place at times. Over the years I used to go in the top and bottom alex (top for reggae), Papillon, the esplanade for bands and the grand in Leigh.

A neighbour of ours worked at TOTS when it first opened and bless her, she used to pass on free tickets to us to see such bands as Mud and Hot Chocolate there. Couple of others too I can't remember the names of but, surprisingly, these two were pretty good 'live'......

Yes it has only really improved in the last 10-15 years down the whole seafront. As you said it could be a bad place at times. Over the years I used to go in the top and bottom alex (top for reggae), Papillon, the esplanade for bands and the grand in Leigh.

Ballsy going in the bottom Alex. You used to have to get drunk in the top Alex before you had the bottle to go in the other. Full of madarse paddies with a deep hatred of, well, everyone.

Hands up who remembers The Mermaid?

A neighbour of ours worked at TOTS when it first opened and bless her, she used to pass on free tickets to us to see such bands as Mud and Hot Chocolate there. Couple of others too I can't remember the names of but, surprisingly, these two were pretty good 'live'......

TOTS was great in those days. They had many a good act some nights. Odyssey was popular and booked a few times. Lou Manzi would throw an after party sometimes. After Olivia Newton John appeared at TOTS, a few tried to pull her at the after party, but she was having none of it, Lol. Most of the acts were pop or disco.

Ballsy going in the bottom Alex. You used to have to get drunk in the top Alex before you had the bottle to go in the other. Full of madarse paddies with a deep hatred of, well, everyone.

The paddies were fine if you knew how to deal with them LOL

Yep, sure do. Also did a sponsored pub crawl from the Esplanade to The Castle in the 80's, the Cornucopia was worse than grim....

ONJ played TOTS. I must have missed that one, sadly! :Sad:

Wonder if she looks back and thinks what might have been, if only she'd have taken up the offers that night!

Remember seeing a band called Second Image, amongst others, at TOTS

Also Zero6 had some great live bands on a Monday night, including Level 42 one night.

Yep, sure do. Also did a sponsored pub crawl from the Esplanade to The Castle in the 80's, the Cornucopia was worse than grim....

I remember Millwall fans taking over the Cornucopia about 25 odd years ago self service garlour.

Police brought in the biggest german shepherd you've ever seen in full riot gear, little boots, stab vest and safety hat. Threw it in the back door off the lead and instantly out came about 60 Millwall fans through the front door into the waiting arms of 4 riot vans worth of coppers.

Anyone remember the Millwall game one Easter Monday (unless it's the same game, Hypo?)

They mobbed the seafront. I think the Ivy House, back then (Chinnerys) took the biggest pounding.

Back