• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No not at all. We need an Assombalonga or a Tomlin and someone that can actually pick a pass into space that someone with pace can run onto. Bury did it today on more than one occasion and we could too if we had any idea.

Yeah I agree with this. We need to loan a striker like we did last season with Brit!

Poor tactics from Brown. Freddy has never played up front on his own for a reason. Even Stevie Wonder can see that! Running out of patience with Tango man. Doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of a lot of the players.

Once again no cutting edge up front cost us. The pair at centre back played well and the lad from Liverpool in particular looked mustard but going forward we had nothing. How Hurst completed 90 minutes was criminal.

Poor tactics from Brown. Freddy has never played up front on his own for a reason. Even Stevie Wonder can see that! Running out of patience with Tango man. Doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of a lot of the players.

He said during the week if Eastwood was going to start it would mean tinkering with tactics.

Im not sure what tinkering there was as it seemed to be exactly the same, boot it at him and pretend he can win it like Corr.

Did Brown take off Eastwood just when he was about to take that free kick??? And then who decided that Corr would take it with his first kick?? When was the last time Corr scored direct from a free kick??? It really is unbelievable! I am losing faith with the competence of our management!

I didn't go but it sounded as if it was in a position ideal for Eastwood. Like you I couldn't believe the timing of the substitution especially when Corr took and wasted the free kick.

Most of us on here knew Fred cannot play that role!

Yeah agree about Phil he seems to have lost it.

Absolute garbage today. We were even gifted a chance by their keeper and Freddy couldn't hit the target.

See Barry getting into a scuffle with their boy after the corner and straight away had a feeling he was about to do something stupid. Turned my attention back to the ball and 1 minute later the red card came out. Seemed from those around me that the boy made a meal of it tho.

Also anyone else notice Brown never comes over to the fans anymore after the game? Wasn't at scunthorpe so correct me if I'm wrong there.

I was watching Corr as I could see he was having a rant with their player. Corr stuck his head into the player Pardew fashion although the guy went down as if he had run into a bus. I'm sure Correct could have done him properly if he wanted to but he has no excuses and gave the Lino the chance to tell the ref what he had seen and therefore can have no excuses for being sent off. Now with his ban for violent conduct our ever fading hopes of the play offs have surely evaporated because we now only have Freddie and Barny who can't score between them. Brown clearly has lost the plot and is surely a dead man walking.

Corr was an idiot today. Aside from the terrible free kick, he was actually starting to play and for a moment we're looking good, but then following the cross he has verbals with their full back jogging back to the half way line. Head butts the guy in sight of the lino on the east stand. Now we miss him for 3 games!

Who would choose a player fresh off the bench without a touch to take probably our best free kick chance.Why didn't we give Fred who we know can hit a ball take it ,before the sub.Can't believe the other players just stood back,and let him take it.
Did Brown take off Eastwood just when he was about to take that free kick??? And then who decided that Corr would take it with his first kick?? When was the last time Corr scored direct from a free kick??? It really is unbelievable! I am losing faith with the competence of our management!

Bury had a keeper who couldn't have saved a pound in Tesco with a fistful of Clubcard vouchers and we had a midfield and a striker who couldn't finish a bag of crisps. I suppose 0-0 was a fair result. Can we give Jack Payne a start now? He's the only one left now isn't he? #InPayneWeTrust

I didn't go but it sounded as if it was in a position ideal for Eastwood. Like you I couldn't believe the timing of the substitution especially when Corr took and wasted the free kick.
Quite agree. Particularly as Eastwood had just had our first shot on target. What is it with this obsession with 4-5-1 ?
Does Brown realise you are allowed to play two up front. Personally I would rather go back to 2-3-5 from the sixties than watch this dross.
Oh and if that was the case that Corr head-butted their player off the ball, then throw the book at him. That isn't the first time he has lost his rag (I recall only on Tuesday that Brown took him off to avoid a second booking).

We don't need players, we need tactics and systems and momentum. The teams that are going up don't have a better squad than us. It's all about how players are deployed. Would all our competitors like Corr, Eastwood, Barnard on their books? You bet they would. We need to stop taking back former players though. Never go back.

The big criticism about Sturrock was the style of football. I think Martin and hence Brown were sensitive to this and thus the one thing we've seen since Brown took over is a better playing style. This has been well received by the fans, but hasn't proved any more effective over the course of a season.

Last season we got undone in jan/Feb by injuries - I think that's fairly apparent. We also persisted with playing a centre half on the wing which rangers unsurprisingly haven't done. This season on I genuinely believe our undoing have been the bad weather, or more precisely out failure to adapt to adapt to the bad weather. There have been a few occasions in the last couple of weeks when we simply needed to go more direct - York was one. Morecambe another - but we've persisted with passing it and have struggled accordingly.

But I remember nearly 4 years ago when we had no manager and about 4 players on the books. Things are better than they were and will get better still, with or without Phil Brown.

Nil Nil, nothing really went right or happened for us.
The starting 11 looked ok on the team sheet and through the game the GK and defensive 4 didn’t have to much too do and both full backs rarely got forward.
The midfield 5 seemed not to know what was expected of them and Brown had to give some basic instructions to several of them. Did any of the 5 take on a shot on goal? Too many side passes and failure to push on with any pace. Only Lenny looked to be natural and assured; & he suffered from some hard fouls on him, again he was poorly protected by a poor ref.
Fred got no good service and showed almost the same problems that we have seen BBBC struggle with, crap balls and no back up from a midfield too far back who don’t work the ball out with pass and moves.
The subs and timings were all wrong and the sending off- I read BBBC did a head touch with their simulator; bonkers!
Ratings
Dan 6
JW 5
Cokes 5
New lad 6
Egan 6
Hursty 5
Strakes 5
Laird 5
CC 5
Lenny 7
Fred 5

Subs
BBBC 2
Atko 4
Barney 4

It is obvious that if you play just one up front then the majority of goals have to come from midfield. So you will struggle with the likes of Straker, Atkinson, Laird and Timlin who are not people with an eye for goal and can finish. Their goals to games ratio speaks for itself. Leonard is good at driving forward and can find the net but is played in a holding role! The best of today was the form of the two young centre-backs.

Have been away for a couple of weeks and purposely booked the long flight home so we could make the game today ( sad I know). After an overnight flight and a quick couple of hours of nod I was looking forward to today's game - blimey I wished I had stayed asleep. Where did we go so wrong? We was flying high prior to Christmas and as sad as it is I fear we may be struck in league two for another season. Felt slightly sorry for Freddy today, he needs the ball to his feet and unfortunately never had the service. Where has Hurst lost his mojo? I personally did see the incident with Corr but from someone sitting close to me stated he was a silly lad for what he did.
I really don't know where we go from here but surely a win must be around the corner soon

Back