• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Crawley Town

I think it was Paul Clark who said that we seem to have "taken the handbrake" off and I agree, we did seem to have a bit more urgency in our play from the off but the same old problem remains.. we don't have the quality. Everything is good right up until the point where we get a shot off. Do we even practise shooting during the week? Today's blank means we've failed to score in the last 689 minutes of football at Roots Hall.. a truly horrific stat.

Today was a game we really had to win but we've failed to do so.. it's incredibly frustrating.

Last edited:
100% effort from the players today. You can fail through lack of ability but lack of effort is inexcusable, so I'm pleased to see them run through brick walls.

I've been hoping RHF comes good but IMO there's no excuse for missing that chance today. Akinola needs to come back into the fold ASAP.

Wasn't expecting a huge change other than us maybe nicking a 1-0 but it's clear to see PB will tolerate nothing but 100%.

Just a shame we couldn't get over the line, but much closer than MM was getting us. A move in the right direction, let's hope we can go down to Exeter and do a job.

PS: Col Ewe please keep losing!

I’m so fed up I can’t bring myself to give a balanced appraisal of the game. Right now the whole club can just **** off.

100% effort from the players today. You can fail through lack of ability but lack of effort is inexcusable, so I'm pleased to see them run through brick walls.

I've been hoping RHF comes good but IMO there's no excuse for missing that chance today. Akinola needs to come back into the fold ASAP.

Wasn't expecting a huge change other than us maybe nicking a 1-0 but it's clear to see PB will tolerate nothing but 100%.

Just a shame we couldn't get over the line, but much closer than MM was getting us. A move in the right direction, let's hope we can go down to Exeter and do a job.

PS: Col Ewe please keep losing!
Well we wont concede and more likely to win that then the games we are supposed to win

Ferguson getting some stick but I think he's a good player. Closest we came to scoring. Don't see him as lazy, just a matter of style. Think PB will like him.
Just wish he pulled the trigger on the edge of the box right at the end of the game. We're not a million miles away and that's the frustrating part.

Ferguson getting some stick but I think he's a good player. Closest we came to scoring. Don't see him as lazy, just a matter of style. Think PB will like him.

I like him a lot when he's on it, but it's really noticeable when he doesn't fancy it. He has those moments like today where he has anticipated movement or an opposition pass a bit too late, or he's been too slow to get a shot or pass off and been caught wanting. Can be really frustrating and by all accounts it's that lack of consistency and concentration that has held him back in the past. If Brown can get him firing then he'll be an asset.

Thought was an improvement overall. We defo had a bit of intensity which lead to more activity round their box than of late.

really warmed to cordner and think him and Hobson are decent for this level. JD had his best midfield game for some time and thought Holmes was pick overall and nice to see him given a bit of freedom but he can’t really get past anyone.

only disappointment for me (apart from score) was not taking a punt on rush. That decision probably had to come from fagan and or Duncan to go with Goodship which is a worry. Thought this game was primed to take a chance on rush and see if he could nick one as something different.

a positive would be brown got to see the players in a match environment rather than training and with another week of training I suspect the line up for the next game will be quite different. Be disappointed if it’s not.

I am still not convinced that some of the players know the league position and points situation. They seem to be drifting at too many times: and apart from Elvis, yet to have grasped that draws won't do it. It really is make or break, kitchen sink time yet they are playing like there will be extra time, replays and penalties.
Today had some good effort but the desire didn't show itself imo.
A draw was a fair result for the football but a disaster for our league status.

With goals being the key need, then PB needs to, must, think of how to achieve that. For me I can only guess that desperate times will bring desperate measures and maybe Rush will get a run out?

Agree with this, thought he did ok today. He looks for a pass at least, he’s quite an intelligent player I think. Keeps it calm and simple.

We attacked more. We tried hard. We got a couple more balls in the box. We didn’t play awful. BUT .... did we score? Did we ****. I’m a little disappointed the PB factor didn’t bring instant results, I was naive to expect it might (just pure hope!).

We now have 5 games and we need to be targeting 5 wins as Colchester won’t lose 5. The game against them might seal our fate and well, it would sum up this season wouldn’t it. Bet once we’re officially relegated we win 4-0.
Actually what we need to do is win one when they lose, beat them when we play them, and simply match there scores otherwise. Thats the simple maths of it. So in a way not so unachievable.

Can't fault the effort today, we definitely pushed forward much much more but that of course left us more open. But WLWLWL gets you 9 points, DDDWLD gets you 7 even if you did only lose 1 in 6. So the system is designed to reward the brave not the timid.

What can't be remedied over night is personnel we have available for the top two. RHF answered those who wanted him to play up top with his double miss from 5 yards out, Goodship just doesn't want to be in the box, Acquah and Halford aren't goalscorers, Dieng isn't even a goalscoring midfielder (all be it he scores more than the previous two and does a job wherever he is put), Akinola is probably the nearest but he really is a winger. Don't be surprised to find Rush put in alongside ANO on the basis he is probably the nearest we have in the entire squad in terms who is likely given the chance to score. Also I think you want to play one target man and a Rush, rather than two target men and have no pace. Not a good place to be but out of it PB must fashion something.

Back