• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Crawley Town

Another bloody 0-0 and another one at home. If we get relegated it will come down to these draws and our inability to take the few chances we create. No argument we are and have been more solid at the back but the lack of goals is killing us. To be fair today could have gone either way but Lady Luck has deserted us, on another day Fergusons shot could have hit the back of the keeper and gone in. Reeco is an awful pro, and offers very little other than frustration.

we did seem to attack with more intensity today and certainly got more men forward on occasion. Thought Holmes had his best game and was given a bit more freedom. But to expect PB to get anything out of this group with less than 48 to prepare was a big ask. He has a week to prepare them now for a very tough game. Realistically we won’t get anything at Exeter and then hav3 to hope we can get something from Colshite, Orient, Barrow and Newport, 6 points may be enough if three of those come against Colchester

Paul Clarke said he still believed we could stay up, it’s going to be a rollercoaster for sure but while there is a chance there is hope

I think you must have been watching a completely different game.
No, I think you must have been watching a completely different game.

In the first half: Cordner made an excellent goal line clearance from a shot that was going in the top corner. Also, Nadesean had an opportunity to make a basic pass to the other striker for an open goal but overhit it.

In the second half: Oxley made an excellent save from about 6 yards out.

That’s 3 clear cut chances for Crawley that all should have been taken. Just the 1 for us with RHF. So how was I the one watching a different game?

It is no comfort to read that PB assesses the aptitude of the players similar to many of us, they are scared to be winners.

I thought that was Josh Wright's best game at Roots Hall.

Our ploy early doors seemed to be to get the ball in the box or in behind, to get them facing their own goal, but it didn’t last long. We also hunted the ball well at start of both halves but couldn’t maintain that either. Couple of small changes, we left someone up top when defending corners and a striker stood on their keeper when he was kicking, but it was mainly same ‘ol same ‘ol. Twice we should have been punished in the first half but fortunately their strikers made the wrong decisions. Their defence looked shakyish, but naturally we didn’t test them enough, and the space they found middle of the pitch in the second half was alarming. At least the players looked desolate at the end, and that shows me that they do actually care.

Oxley – lost count how many times I’ve said this season that he didn’t have much to do, but he did make one great/sharp point-blank save that kept us in the match.
Elvis - sharp, committed, strong defending and put in a couple of good crosses – probably my MOM.
Cordner – completely missed an early low cross and he does get himself in a tangle at times. On one occasion he was so busy appealing that he lost his man (which should have led to a goal). That said he redeemed himself with a header off line and was dominant in the air (reminds me more and more of Lennon).
Hobson - won a couple of vital headers but his passing out of defence was not so good this week.
Clifford – we all know his tekkers and passing is sound, plus he covered well a couple of times, but his set-piece delivery was strangely lacking again and he was shrugged off the ball, or turned by his man, a few times.
Holmes taken out twice first 10 minutes. some good touches and turns, but faded in second half - withdrawn.
Reeco - took his eye of the ball with an early half-chance (header) and doesn’t fancy those 50/50’s does he? The ball just didn’t stick with him. Perhaps a little dink was required when our best chance was saved.
Ferguson - was asleep when robbed on the edge of his own area but his passing was good, however there were no key passes in there (nor from anyone really). He hit the post with a decent low drive.
Demi - quiet start before trying to make things happen, but was walking that disciplinary tightrope again.
Halford - won a couple of early headers but that was it – served up a lame chip because he didn’t trust his ‘pace’ to get into the box when put through.
Dieng - good in the air in the opening stages but didn’t see too much of him (how long will he be out with that hamstring I wonder?)

p.s Thought Brown rocked the seventies pimp look today.

A game we were fortunate to get a point.
PB will learn a lot from that game plenty of effort but little guile.Players like Recco and Goodship are light weight and offer very little in the game.Olly and Egbri are more direct and should be given a start next week.

how the hell is any manager and new backroom staff going to make any diffrence with the same crap to choose from .We need to get phil brown to stay on what ever leauge we are in next season and bring in some players that know how to score .

I think PB should take the team down to Devon from tomorrow and have a week of bonding in secure pubs ( with outdoor spaces ) including a late night session on Friday.
Then rock up to the ground an hour before kick off the next day after a 'full English' and a fresh tattoo for each player , screaming 'Come on you West Country Jessies , let's be 'aving you'

A game we were fortunate to get a point.
PB will learn a lot from that game plenty of effort but little guile.Players like Recco and Goodship are light weight and offer very little in the game.Olly and Egbri are more direct and should be given a start next week.
I was with you until the last name.
Egbri is all running and not a lot else.
I'm not sure he's that quick either. His legs move at twice the pace of taller players but not always the same speed.

how the hell is any manager and new backroom staff going to make any diffrence with the same crap to choose from .We need to get phil brown to stay on what ever leauge we are in next season and bring in some players that know how to score .
Have you ever played a team game?
The manager can make a big difference, given a week and the right basic, simple training PB ought to be able to change the "song sheet".

Well... we all hoped, but in our hearts I think we all knew the chances of a sudden change of play and fortunes was very remote.At times the standard of our play reminds me of a pin ball machine with the ball pinging all over the place with no pattern or system.Our couple of more experienced pros unfortunately become ineffective as they are constantly chasing the ball and end up trying to do the work of 2 men and consequently end up all over the park.We are still basically a team lacking quality , lack bog standard strikers and the team play like individuals. If PB can save us now I fully expect him to walk across the Thames at high tide or join Harry Potters lot. That wasted Jan transfer window where the problems were so blatantly obvious to most of us could haunt us for years.What a wasted opportunity today!

My half glass empty prediction:
We lose at Exeter, Colchester beat Walsall and then Colchester beat us to send us down.

My half glass full prediction:
We win 1-0 at Exeter, Colchester and Barrow and draw 0-0 at home to Leyton Orient and Newport. 11 points to give us 48 points job done!
We stay up by a point having gone 9 homes games without scoring and 12 home games without winning.

I might stick to drinking with a straw out of a plastic cup.......

Well, for those who dreamt of much change and a better home result with a new manager................dream on. There was no doubting the effort from the players and one did sense a little more urgency, yet the lack of confidence, luck and a striker who can score goals was evident.............how we could have done with a Joe Piggot over the last few months. I went straight to the kithen to prepare tonight's meal at the final whistle, thinking that would calm me. I should never have put on cricket commentary from Chelmsford; that was almost as frustrating as the game this afternoon yet, of course, Essex's problems are nowhere near as dire as ours.
A team who can hardly manage a point a game in the season are usually relegated.
A team who can only win one game in eleven at home since the New Year are usually relegated.
A team who can only score three goals in eleven matches at home are usually relegated.
A team who spurn as many chances as us to escape our situation are usually relegated.
A team, this year, who have only won four games in twenty one are usually relegated.
We will be relegated and sadly, deservedly so. No point looking at other sides results when ours are so poor.
The sooner we can dispense with the mathematically possible rubbish and carefully consider plans for next season the better. At the moment we are just extending the pain but of course we will fight to the end, although in most of our hearts we know we're a terminal case.
We need a new Manager in as soon as possible, preferably someone with success at National League level. The search, in haste, needs to be done as soon as the final blow is landed. That individual needs time and some money to rebuild the squad and get in a good pre-season..........the thinking about next season should be started virtually now Ron.

We seemed to play a little more direct today and players got forward more but we are woeful in an attacking sense. The most ineffective so called strike force ever seen in my 60 years of supporting the club. Sadly, I don't think we are good enough to avoid relegation. What a tragedy.

I was with you until the last name.
Egbri is all running and not a lot else.
I'm not sure he's that quick either. His legs move at twice the pace of taller players but not always the same speed.

You need to watch Egbri more then. He always offers the out ball, his movement creates space for others.
I am wondering if there is anything about Southend you actually like/rate

An interesting game, much rapid toing and froing that made me slightly seasick watching on iFollow, great effort from most of our players but little result. I thought Cordner had a good game as did Demi. Some weak efforts when chances came - Halford, RHF especially. In the brief time he was on Acquah held up the ball twice in their area and laid accurate passes on for Olayinka to mess up. In retrospect we should have started with Acquah while Holmes was fresh.

Overall I thought we attacked more and showed more urgency but somehow lost the discipline and composure that we have been showing in defence for quite a while. We were fortunate that Crawley were so poor in the area too. With five games left we are four points adrift and need Colchester to lose heavily again or goal difference will sink us. Exeter will be a really tough game. Their confidence should be high after putting four past Cambridge today. Our best hope is that they relax against us but that's unlikely with them being just one point off the play offs. But.....I bet we win it you know..... and then of course lose to the sheepy folk....

Back