• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Crawley Town

Have you ever played a team game?
The manager can make a big difference, given a week and the right basic, simple training PB ought to be able to change the "song sheet".
I played football for many years in local teams so in answer to your remark yes

You need to watch Egbri more then. He always offers the out ball, his movement creates space for others.
I am wondering if there is anything about Southend you actually like/rate
I'll bet this season I've watched him as much as most.
Have praised others today who deserved it.
As for the last part, probably not a lot this season. But there again have had to suffer like anyone else who's watched them 59 years!

Four points behind the cousins, 5 games to go, 15 points to play for, as they often say

That's what i keep saying.
It does make you wonder if having no supporters in the ground is also having an impact although to be fair at the moment i guess the players should be thankful we are not in there

Another frustrating draw that stops us thinking we’ve got what it takes to survive yet still gives us that little bit of hope. A game we didn’t win due to our nervousness in front of goal and Crawley didn’t win thanks to Cordner’s excellent goal line clearance and Oxley’s brilliant second half save. I didn’t expect the new manager bounce today with him arriving so late but at least he’s had a chance to assess 15 players on the pitch. Next week will be better to guess whether he can turn a sow’s ear into that silk purse we know doesn’t really exist! Today my thoughts are that we’d be better playing Acquah than Halford, Egbri better than RHF. I’m hoping Akinola’s disappearance is due to an injury that will be sorted by next weekend rather than the sinister theories some put forward. Ricky Holmes had a cracking first half but predictably ran out of steam. Goodship was the Goodship we’ve seen since he’s been here – preferring to fall over in the box for a penalty than attack the ball etc. Cordner was a mixture of early liability then had a good game, Hobson was typically (these days) reliable. I fancy PB might go with Hart next week as Clifford had a mediocre game. It’ll be interesting to see how he fits Olayinka into his line up should he wish. Basically we haven’t learnt a lot today about the PB effect. No cause for optimism but no need to throw in the towel yet.

All i can think is that at least we didnt lose! If we draw the next 5, and ColU lose 4 of the 5 we are still down, but at least we will have put up a fight!

Holmes was a bright spark in the first half, defense did ok as always, but Oxley made a worldy near the end.

Why oh why sack MM on a Thursday with one day before another massive must win game? What was Ron thinking, more utter brainless decisions. What difference was PB going to make in one day?

Yes, we are a point closer to Col U and a point further away from Grimsby, but Walsall now appear to be safe with their first win in about 3 months.

We move on to another must win game, but I fear Tuesday week will be the death knell for our Football league status, and there is only one ***eh ole to blame.

Yes I am angry.

Holmes was a bright spark in the first half, defense did ok as always, but Oxley made a worldy near the end.

Why oh why sack MM on a Thursday with one day before another massive must win game? What was Ron thinking, more utter brainless decisions. What difference was PB going to make in one day?

Yes, we are a point closer to Col U and a point further away from Grimsby, but Walsall now appear to be safe with their first win in about 3 months.

We move on to another must win game, but I fear Tuesday week will be the death knell for our Football league status, and there is only one ***eh ole to blame.

Yes I am angry.
From PB's interview that was the earliest he was free to join the club after his quarantine period. Ron obviously wanted Brown as ASAP after his first approach but he wasn't available. It is what it is, far from ideal but better than nothing.

Same old. Square pegs in round holes. No one seems to learn. MM might as well have stayed for all the difference.

I played football for many years in local teams so in answer to your remark yes
Sorry if I caused friction, my reply was poorly scripted and rhetorical.

And in the same manner, the professional team business is a world from amateur. Pros are literally performing for their pay, especially at our level. They will be aware, many of them, that they need to go with the plans or become deadwood.

Taylor and ANG?

Isn't it fortunate for us that Exeter got a 1-4 victory at Cambridge this afternoon? They'll be so confident of three points against us that they'll think it only necessarry to turn up to win

I've no issue with playing Halford up top as a target , if the management deem him to be a better option than Acquah ( I don't by the way ).
But why did we try to hit balls over the top on several occasions for Halford to chase ?
That is not his game at all and it was pointless.
Even the time he capitalised on the CB's error in the first half , he knew he had to shoot early as he had no pace to get away.
This is a painful slow death I'm afraid , and it's hard to watch.
But surely his job was to hold up the ball and lay it off to his fellow striker...................Oh! hold on a minute!

The sooner we can dispense with the mathematically possible rubbish and carefully consider plans for next season the better. At the moment we are just extending the pain but of course we will fight to the end, although in most of our hearts we know we're a terminal case.
We need a new Manager in as soon as possible, preferably someone with success at National League level. The search, in haste, needs to be done as soon as the final blow is landed. That individual needs time and some money to rebuild the squad and get in a good pre-season..........the thinking about next season should be started virtually now Ron.

Would be interesting to hear from fans of other clubs who were relegated to the National League, about the players they signed when rebuilding.
Were they ageing league players with a season or 2 left in them, or fresh talent from non league, keen & eager to progress in the game?.

But surely his job was to hold up the ball and lay it off to his fellow striker...................Oh! hold on a minute!
Our attacking options are pretty rubbish, aren’t they?
I think Acquah and Rush might be worth a shot as a 2 up there, they know each other well and might have chemistry? Goodship is too busy trying to hide in the East Stand. Dieng tries his best in the support role, but isn’t a striker. Halfords legs have gone though I see why he’s used (in desperation)..

Has Exeter lost today, they would be really fired up for next Saturday, but they won, so I hope they only have to turn up.

I doubt that team today was much of Brown’s choosing as he rightly will have listened to RD and Fagan, perhaps more the intent was the best he could express to them. Fully expect a couple more changes to creep in for the next game and I wouldn’t be surprised if Acquah comes back in. Halford makes Emile look lightning quick and our service into the area wasn’t good enough for Halford to get his head on to, so many balls put in just not clearing the first man.

I personally didn’t see a great deal more threat in attack today but did think we rode our luck more at the back. Let’s see if he can get the balance right with another week of training.

Still looking for a saviour in front of goal, it might be Oxley going up for corners soon!

Back