• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Well that was dire on a mud park. It was nice to catch up with a few old faces at The Hall, but the game.

Initial thoughts - Pitch was terrible but we still managed to be second best, certainly in the second half.

First half was okay, fairly evenly matched, if Macca had taken that one on one chance Donny's heads might have dropped. Macca suddenly seems lacking in confidence, a shame he couldn't take his chance, it would have done him the world of good.

At the other end Donny were looking threatening and would have scored but for a fantastic double save from Oxley, the highlight off the game for me.:Worthy:

For much of the second half we were very poor, struggling to retain possession and making numerous bad individual errors. The Wordsworth sub perhaps seemed negative, but was probably the right call as we were being overrun at the time.

At the end we could have nicked it with a late 5min flurry. Wordsworth had a good shooting chance in the area but ballooned it over the bar. However it would have been a lucky win if we did snatch the 3 points.

In the end a point gained for me, but I'm disappointed with another sub par performance. What has changed since the Portsmouth game?:unsure:

Initial thoughts - Pitch was terrible but we still managed to be second best, certainly in the second half.

First half was okay, fairly evenly matched, if Macca had taken that one on one chance Donny's heads might have dropped. Macca suddenly seems lacking in confidence, a shame he couldn't take his chance, it would have done him the world of good.

At the other end Donny were looking threatening and would have scored but for a fantastic double save from Oxley, the highlight off the game for me.:Worthy:

For much of the second half we were very poor, struggling to retain possession and making numerous bad individual errors. The Wordsworth sub perhaps seemed negative, but was probably the right call as we were being overrun at the time.

At the end we could have nicked it with a late 5min flurry. Wordsworth had a good shooting chance in the area but ballooned it over the bar. However it would have been a lucky win if we did snatch the 3 points.

In the end a point gained for me, but I'm disappointed with another sub par performance. What has changed since the Portsmouth game?:unsure:

'Honeymoon period' over already?

Oxley great double save in the first half to keep us in the game.
MAF played 2 exquisite passes, one in each half that played Macca in both times but poor finishing meany no goals
Turner was commanding at the back and had a great header that I thought was in beaten away in the second half
Dru outshone Wright big time. The lad gets better and better. Great tackling again today and that step over and rotation that allowed him to leave his marker for dead in our half in the second half was sublime.
What was also sublime was that piece of skill by Ferdy in the first half. Woeful pass to him left him second choice to get the ball but he got there first, sold the striker a massive dummy then passed the ball on. Quality

BBC stats say we had 3 attempts on target from 10 efforts.
Is that correct ?
anyone like to enlighten me as to the 3 on target ?
Dire

Didn't think we were quite as bad as some of the above posts suggest. Terrible pitch made it difficult to play any sort of football on but both sides gave it their best and had their moments. Demetriou MOTM for me, but Fortune and Dru were also very good. Draw the fair result.

Certainly:

43 minutes: McLaughlin header on target saved
58 minutes: Kightly shot on target saved
58 minutes: Turner header saved.

I thank you.

BBC stats say we had 3 attempts on target from 10 efforts.
Is that correct ?
Dire

The header from Turner where their keeper pulled off a great save, there was a weak header from McLaughlin in the first half that was caught and then that shot from Kightly where we got a corner despite the keeper protesting he didn't touch it probably counts as one.

Ratings:

Oxley 7

Demi - 6
Turner - 7
Anton - 6
Coker - 7

McLaughlin - 6
Wright - 5 (4 for the first half, 6 for the second)
Yearwood - 7.5
Kightly - 6.5

Cox - 6
Fortune - 6.5

Subs

Wordsworth - 7
Harrison
Ladapo - 6

Ennui

That was dreadful. A waste of an afternoon. I've no real issues with the players, they put effort in. But, really, can you play football on that? It was like something out of the 1970s (as was the Donny physio). The ball was bobbling all over the shop, or sticking in the mud or sliding through. No! You simply cannot play a passing game on that. It was just as bad for both sides, neither of which conquered it and I suspect we are likely to see more of that in the final weeks of the season. Maybe the rush to get last week played will prove to be a bad decision.

The game itself. Oxley made a cracking double save in the first half from what I believe was Doncaster's only serious effort on goal all afternoon. Macca wasted a really good chance after some fine play by Fortune. Wright failed to look like he'd ever played football before in the first 45 minutes. Second half, lots of effort but only a headed chance from Turner to really show for it and Wordsworth spooning a chance over the bar - partly due to a massive bobble. Bizarre looking subs, if Phil Brown had done that this place would have been up in arms. Dru Yearwood continues to impress.

In the end the game utterly deserved to be 0-0 and utterly deserves to be instantly forgotten.

They'll struggle to get 60 seconds worth of highlights out of that.

Has CP lost the dressing room so soon?

There were worrying signs of that last week and although today he was furiously shouting from the touchline and being ignored, the team were trying hard today without being able to cope with that dreadful pitch. A point moves us back into 13th place, seven points away from the drop zone.

Let’s be positive and try not to turn the thread into the “groan-zone”.
It was hard to play out there today as the pitch looked very heavy and sodden which, takes it toll on the legs.
Was not a brilliant game to watch but we did not lose and at least we did not concede.
For me on the plus side the weather was warmer and managed to catch up with an “old” face.

Hopefully SCP will not allow the players confidence to drop

Dire, pitch was a disaster, ref was a bit picky, team is playing as they did with PB. Has CP lost the dressing room so soon?

I wouldn't say we're as bad as we were under Brown, Anton isn't making howlers for a start. The squad were certainly trying so I think it's a stretch to say Powell has lost them. We don't look great going forward but we at least look like a boring mid table side rather than relegation candidates. I think a big problem is that the pitch is now so bad (possibly because of us playing in the snow) that anything other than long ball football isn't workable, Ron needs to make sure the pitch is back to its usual standard next year.

It's possible to have a couple of sub-par performances when playing on a bog masquerading as a pitch without having 'lost the dressing room'... we can't be starting on that already surely?

Match report: Southend United 0, Doncaster Rovers 0

SOUTHEND United were held to a drab 0-0 draw by Doncaster Rovers on a terrible Roots Hall pitch this afternoon.

More...

Really, really, really poor from two poor teams on an atrocious pitch. As scrappy a game as I can remember. CP is clearly still getting to know the squad, game didn't suit Wordsworth at all and Fortune was running on fumes and he instead took Cox off.

Either side could have easily won it, their keeper made one superb save and Oxley had a great double save but they were the only real moments of any excitement.

Oxley 7 Great double save
Demetriou 7 Everything was coming down the right and he was key in attack and defence
Ferdinand 7 Generally composed and strong
Turner 7 As above
Coker 6 Struggled a bit with the conditions, picked up late on
McLaughlin 6 Couldn't get going with the ball
Dru 7 A real battler, didn't have much of an influence but got stuck in and gave his all
Wright 6 Game passed him by
Kightly 6 As with McLaughlin, only he faffed around with it a bit more
Cox 6 No service
Fortune 6 Worked hard but constantly going wide left no-one in the middle

Subs
Wordsworth 5 Missed a few big chances
Harrison 6 Tried to get in the right positions but didn't seem to know where he was playing
Ladapo - Ran around a bit but didn't have long

Ref was also poor, some woeful calls, inconsistent and his positioning was beyond poor.

Forgettable afternoon but a point gained. Onto the next one.

It's possible to have a couple of sub-par performances when playing on a bog masquerading as a pitch without having 'lost the dressing room'... we can't be starting on that already surely?

Absolutely right. I'm presuming that those suggesting he's lost the dressing room are really joking. A better result than last week and with a point today we are now on 45 with 11 games to play. The magic 50 is getting closer. As for the match itself everyone offered up some effort and Yearwood worked his socks off, he was my MoM. Not much else to report really apart from some critical saves from Oxley and Ferdinand and Turner getting more consistent every week, they are now a good pairing. On the other opinions front the ref gave some interesting decisions and ignored some other ones and Doncaster's kit probably would feature highly in my silly kits of the season league.

Absolutely right. I'm presuming that those suggesting he's lost the dressing room are really joking. A better result than last week and with a point today we are now on 45 with 11 games to play. The magic 50 is getting closer. As for the match itself everyone offered up some effort and Yearwood worked his socks off, he was my MoM. Not much else to report really apart from some critical saves from Oxley and Ferdinand and Turner getting more consistent every week, they are now a good pairing. On the other opinions front the ref gave some interesting decisions and ignored some other ones and Doncaster's kit probably would feature highly in my silly kits of the season league.

I spent the whole game looking for Wally

Back