• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Really, really, really poor from two poor teams on an atrocious pitch. As scrappy a game as I can remember. CP is clearly still getting to know the squad, game didn't suit Wordsworth at all and Fortune was running on fumes and he instead took Cox off.

Either side could have easily won it, their keeper made one superb save and Oxley had a great double save but they were the only real moments of any excitement.

Oxley 7 Great double save
Demetriou 7 Everything was coming down the right and he was key in attack and defence
Ferdinand 7 Generally composed and strong
Turner 7 As above
Coker 6 Struggled a bit with the conditions, picked up late on
McLaughlin 6 Couldn't get going with the ball
Dru 7 A real battler, didn't have much of an influence but got stuck in and gave his all
Wright 6 Game passed him by
Kightly 6 As with McLaughlin, only he faffed around with it a bit more
Cox 6 No service
Fortune 6 Worked hard but constantly going wide left no-one in the middle

Subs
Wordsworth 5 Missed a few big chances
Harrison 6 Tried to get in the right positions but didn't seem to know where he was playing
Ladapo - Ran around a bit but didn't have long

Ref was also poor, some woeful calls, inconsistent and his positioning was beyond poor.

Forgettable afternoon but a point gained. Onto the next one.
I agree with this accept Turner was my MOM. Thought wright ran around a bit but did nothing ... certainly didn’t tackle much. Was really surprised that he wasn’t replaced by Timlin at half time to add some bite in midfield.

Where is McGlashen? I thought his pace would have been a real bonus today, especially as we have no one up front who frightens the opposition defence. Both our wingers were hopeless and slow today and hardly tried to beat their man.

Seemed to me that tactics were concentrated on (dare I say it) “A clean sheet mentality”. There was also a distinct lack of movement a la Browns tactics.

Certainly:

43 minutes: McLaughlin header on target saved
58 minutes: Kightly shot on target saved
58 minutes: Turner header saved.

I thank you.

The header from Turner where their keeper pulled off a great save, there was a weak header from McLaughlin in the first half that was caught and then that shot from Kightly where we got a corner despite the keeper protesting he didn't touch it probably counts as one.

If it's the Kightly effort that we ended up getting a corner from, the original shot was miles wide and didn't take a deflection anyway, so I think it's generous if the BBC counted that as on target.

The pitch really didn't help either team, but that was one drab old match and no mistake.

Turner, Yearwood and Oxley probably the pick for us.

I am a little concerned about some of the thinking when we are not in control of the game. The substitutions I wasn't too sure about and I'm not sure it's a great idea to leave Tims out. Too many times Coppinger and others seemed to glide past Josh Wright. Not that he had a terrible game.

The out ball also worries me. Once Coxy went off, we seemed a bit lost when we had the ball moving forward.

One thing that will be very high on SCP's shopping list is a striker who can attack a cross in the air, like Pitman, Hanson, Moore and the like.

Pitch was shocking, no doubt about that. Thought Anton had a really impressive game and Dru continues to belay his young years.

I agree with much that has been said but I'll add that turner was superb again today, my man of the match. Ferdinand was excellent defensively but poor distribution. Dru was poor first half and let someone ghost by him, much, much better second half. Timlin should have played instead of Wright who was poor first half but much better second. Powell let things drift again and should make changes earlier. We didn't have any shape at the end and that didn't help our attack. Ladapo did more today than all game last weekend

***** pitch. ***** atmosphere. ***** game. That's me done for this season.

Give Oxley player of the season - without him we'd be down.

Agreed on Oxley.

That save from the rebound off his initial save was as good as you'll see at most levels, let alone down here.

When CP was appointed, and thank God he was, the remit must have been to stop the rot and avoid relegation. It seems to me he is doing just that. Certain factors have worked against him; largely inherited squad, such little transfer window time, our pitch etc, but all in all things are looking like, as we hoped, we will remain in the division and he can have a tilt at next season. I know some, after the great start under CP, got a little carried away with play-off hopes but that would only have been a cherry on the cake. We are at least getting the cake and not the crumbs. UTB

I am certain Chris Powell knows exactly where he needs to strengthen before the start of next season. Unfortunately he will just have to make do with what he has. Another 10 points then we can breathe a lot easier. I still really fail to see what Josh Wright brings to the team. Really pleased that Dru is making the most of the opportunity he has been given. He does seem to look more assured with each game he plays.

Today highlighted what we need for next season
1. Better pitch
2. Two strikers
3. 1 tough tackling midfielder

dont think Josh Wright!seems up to it, his socks were still white for most of the match. and don’t remember the last time I Wordsworth put in a good display.

Lets just get saftery secured push on push on for next season, Its been painful watching our forwards this season. Thanks god for Demiterou. On a positive or the defence were a lot better today especially Ferdinand, looked a lot more comfortable on the Ball and in the air.

Today highlighted what we need for next season
1. Better pitch
2. Two strikers
3. 1 tough tackling midfielder

dont think Josh Wright!seems up to it, his socks were still white for most of the match. and don’t remember the last time I Wordsworth put in a good display.

Lets just get saftery secured push on push on for next season, Its been painful watching our forwards this season. Thanks god for Demiterou. On a positive or the defence were a lot better today especially Ferdinand, looked a lot more comfortable on the Ball and in the air.
Have you been drinking? :hilarious:

Timlin really unlucky to be dropped, much better player that Wright and apart from last week has been outstanding under Powell.

Wright offers nothing

Timlin really unlucky to be dropped, much better player that Wright and apart from last week has been outstanding under Powell.

Wright offers nothing
I was surprised he missed out, couldn't make it last week but from what I'd seen since CP came in he'd been superb and a great partner for Dru. Would have thought the scrappy conditions today would have suited him too. After Wright's display today I'd happily have him back on Tuesday.

Did notice that he was still shouting instructions from the bench throughout.

Back