• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The subs were largely to protect Coxy and MAF for Tuesdays game, so they aren’t quite as knackered as if they had played 90 mins IMO. I also think Chrissy is going to be giving players a go to see what they can do, with an eye on who stays for next year. We will pick up the 9 points we need to be totally safe over the remaining games, no question so it’s increasingly going to be about giving everyone game time to see who stays, as well as keeping players as fresh as possible given it’s been a long season on dreadful pitches especially at The Hall but also elsewhere.

Seems I made a good choice to miss the game for the Village Hall jumble sale. The scrummage for the best bargains when the doors were opened sounds a lot more exciting than the game.

I think Powell will change the side quite often so he can assess in first team who he wants to keep and who he wants to let go. Hence Wright playing instead of Timlin. I don't think either of them will be here next season.

Seems I made a good choice to miss the game for the Village Hall jumble sale. The scrummage for the best bargains when the doors were opened sounds a lot more exciting than the game.

I think Powell will change the side quite often so he can assess in first team who he wants to keep and who he wants to let go. Hence Wright playing instead of Timlin. I don't think either of them will be here next season.

You might be right. I'd still prefer that he picks our best 11 until we get to 52 points. After that he can tinker away to his hearts content. I'd definately start with Timlin over Wright on Tuesday.

The subs were largely to protect Coxy and MAF for Tuesdays game, so they aren’t quite as knackered as if they had played 90 mins IMO. I also think Chrissy is going to be giving players a go to see what they can do, with an eye on who stays for next year. We will pick up the 9 points we need to be totally safe over the remaining games, no question so it’s increasingly going to be about giving everyone game time to see who stays, as well as keeping players as fresh as possible given it’s been a long season on dreadful pitches especially at The Hall but also elsewhere.

Do you really think the Cox/Wordsworth sub was about resting Cox? More to do with the fact that the midfield was getting completely overrun IMO. :unsure:

Do you really think the Cox/Wordsworth sub was about resting Cox? More to do with the fact that the midfield was getting completely overrun IMO. :unsure:

I think decisions are often more than one dimensional. I never said Cox’s fitness was the only factor, just that it was a significant factor in that particular decision. If shoring up the midfield was the reason it would surely have been the ineffective Wright who would have been replaced.

By the way, I didn’t notice us getting any stronger in midfield after the change - if anything we were weaker overall as nothing was sticking up front until further subs were made.

When CP was appointed, and thank God he was, the remit must have been to stop the rot and avoid relegation. It seems to me he is doing just that. Certain factors have worked against him; largely inherited squad, such little transfer window time, our pitch etc, but all in all things are looking like, as we hoped, we will remain in the division and he can have a tilt at next season. I know some, after the great start under CP, got a little carried away with play-off hopes but that would only have been a cherry on the cake. We are at least getting the cake and not the crumbs. UTB

Excellent points. With the exception of a couple of quick signings CP has turned a team sliding towards relegation into a team that, if this continues,will be safe for the season. Even with the best squad play offs from the point he was appointed is was possible, but unlikely. He has plenty of time to assess the need for next season and he is clearly already thinking about that with selections and contract talk thoughts. Rochdale are not bottom of the league because their pitch was dire, because they are.

Think Tuesday will be too soon for a few players after playing on that cow paddock , wouldnt surprise me to see midfield off Mantom and Timlin,nothing against Dru who apparently is going great for one so young,but maybe a rest for a game will be good for him.Two things are quite clear to me reading all your posts throughout the season,firstly RM during the off seson should get the cow paddock back to pristine condition,secondly CPs first priority is to sign a couple of strikers who are able to get 20 to 30 goals between them,i dont think our present strike force have scored 10 between them. get rid off the ones we got maybe just maybe keep Cox ,even though letting him go will free up some wages.

I’m judging from afar and only seen a handful of games but from what I can see Cox alongside the right striker would be a tempting partnership to at least try out. He brings a dimension to the game that reminds me a bit of Benjamin.

It wasn't the worst 0-0 I've ever seen, there was some entertainment occasionally. Both sides had chances and it was definitely a fair result. The funniest moment had to be when a Donnie player lost the ball when it quite literally got stuck in the mud! And Anton's Cryuff turn. I thought at times our build up play down the left was quality, when Coker gets involved he adds a different dimension to our attack.

Perhaps we'll have more success away from home given the quagmire of a pitch. Rochdale away will not be easy, they are on a good run and I quite fancy them to get out of trouble still.

There has been seriously damaging after effects of getting that Walsall game on last week. The pitch is an absolute disgrace and we will struggle to win another home game all season now

I, for one, will be bitterly disappointed if he lets Timlin go.

He's been a great servant with a whole hearted approach but not the neatest of footballers - the last of Paul Sturrock's players but he is 33 in just over a week and at some point we need to look to the future.

There has been seriously damaging after effects of getting that Walsall game on last week. The pitch is an absolute disgrace and we will struggle to win another home game all season now

I can't say that I have any enthusiasm for paying to see any of the remaining fixtures. Maybe Ron would make a gesture and slash prices and give a refund/ credit to season ticket holders for those 4 games. Has he said a word about the pitch at all?

I can't say that I have any enthusiasm for paying to see any of the remaining fixtures. Maybe Ron would make a gesture and slash prices and give a refund/ credit to season ticket holders for those 4 games. Has he said a word about the pitch at all?

I was thinking the same thing, though it's probably unworkable.

Certainly, the last two Saturday's have been sub-standard fayre and that's being generous!

Timlin had a terrible game last week so Wright had the chance to impress , CP has to assess the squad before a clear out wouldn't be surprised to see Manton given a chance now fit otherwise what was the point of the loan
Timlin really unlucky to be dropped, much better player that Wright and apart from last week has been outstanding under Powell.

Wright offers nothing

I agree with this accept Turner was my MOM. Thought wright ran around a bit but did nothing ... certainly didn’t tackle much. Was really surprised that he wasn’t replaced by Timlin at half time to add some bite in midfield.

Brings nothing to the game and his Mum won't need to wash his kit this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seemed a surprise pick for me.

Wright is a link man, probably more in an advanced role, as he likes to get forward. I'm not sure I could think of a worse choice to play in Tims enforcer role. Especially as SCP was saying pre-match how important a clean sheet would be.

Back