• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Think Tuesday will be too soon for a few players after playing on that cow paddock , wouldnt surprise me to see midfield off Mantom and Timlin,nothing against Dru who apparently is going great for one so young,but maybe a rest for a game will be good for him.Two things are quite clear to me reading all your posts thhroughout the season,firstly RM during the off seson should get the cow paddock back to pristine condition,secondly CPs first priority is to sign a couple of strikers who are able to get 20 to 30 goals between them,i dont think our present strike force have scored 10 between them. get rid off the ones we got maybe just maybe keep Cox ,even though letting him go will free up some wages.

That is the problem though.
Anyone who can do that comes at a price which is probably above our budget

The biggest issue we have is the state of our mud patch! There is almost no way anyone could play a decent game of football on that. The snow last week didn't help matters, but it was bad anyway and it has, I think, probably been a significant factor in how the players feel, and what they can do. It really cant be very nice to play on, and i think the first thing that needs to happen at the end of this season is rip it out and start again! If the club haven't done already, they possibly ought to be looking to get a refund from the company who put it in, because that isn't a professional standard pitch - i have seen better pitches on council run parks.

Anyway - the game. Not the best I have seen, but definitely not the worst either.

Some good points -

All hail Oxley! He has been magnificent all season, and that double save was awesome.

We defended really well I thought, and Donny were not really offering up any serious threats. Anton looked far more assured and comfortable than he has done for a while, he is getting more like the Anton we saw last season again. I thought he had an excellent game with the exception of one or two wayward passes, and that turn was sublime! He works really well with Turner, who i think is superb. At last, we have a central defensive pairing that works well, and right across the back 4 there was some super defending, covering, and working together as a solid unit going on. Jason definitely MOM, cant argue with that at all.

I thought we still looked a bit weak in midfield, and I have thought all season that is where our biggest problems are, despite the depth in the squad. Dru played really well again, and he is improving all the time. He has picked up where Lenny left off, and i think given time he will be just as effective and influential. Kightly is class, and he adds a lot to the mix. Just don't think he is completely match fit, and running around on that potato bog will have taken its toll. Thought Wright looked off the pace and out of his depth, and Macca wasn't really in it. I was a bit surprised that Wright wasn't substituted, but as others have surmised, maybe SCP is giving them game time and taking a good look at them to decide who stays next year.

Then upfront, Coxy and Fortune do make a good pairing, and both of them work well together. It just isn't helpful that the service wasn't there again. I think it is always telling when a player is substituted, as you can see how much influence their presence has on the team, and as soon as Cox left the pitch, we lost shape. Fortune is still a fantastic talent, and while he is playing the way he is, i cant see any reason to replace him! Between the two of them, they create enough havoc in defences to allow other players to sneak through the channels and score. For me, that is what is going wrong, apart from the first 3-4 games when SCP took over, the midfield have not managed to consistently get forward in numbers to exploit the space. Probably an ongoing legacy of the Brown mentality.

Just a quick note on Wordsworth and Lapodo - neither really had any impact on the game. Wordy still looks unfit to me, and Lapodo looks the part, but not sure he has settled in yet. His form wont have been helped by becoming the latest scapegoat!

Overall, it was a very forgettable game, and unfortunately, until that pitch is sorted, I think we are destined for a few more of these before the end of the season. Still, we picked up a point, so progress made, and another point closer to safety.

Think that people are being a bit harsh on Wright. Yes, he was poor in the first half, but I can't have been the only person to have noticed a big improvement in the 2nd? Several times in the 2nd half he made key challenges when Doncaster looked dangerous on the counter, leading to Wordsworth coming on since we were outnumbered 3 to 2 in the middle.

Think that people are being a bit harsh on Wright. Yes, he was poor in the first half, but I can't have been the only person to have noticed a big improvement in the 2nd? Several times in the 2nd half he made key challenges when Doncaster looked dangerous on the counter, leading to Wordsworth coming on since we were outnumbered 3 to 2 in the middle.

I know this isn’t the right place for this but I’ll say it anyway, with regard to Wright, I really don’t know what he brings to the team, and I don’t think he is worth a place ahead of Timlin or Wordsworth. Other than the 1 goal he scored, for me, he really hasn’t done anything of note, and is a bit lightweight to boot. Maybe harsh, but that’s how I see it.

There must be a good player in there but I certainly haven’t seen it.

The pitch is the main factor!! The players cant play there normal game and are frightened to pass in certain areas! The pitch must knock there confidence as they dont know where the ball is going most of the time and the unpredicatable bounces! Im not one for excuses but the pitch can definitely be seen as one at present! No excuses at rochdale brand new pitch!!

An absoulete joke anyone who thinks sir chris powell has lost the dressing room !! 10 points from a possible 15 not bad at all! And its not even chris powells team its being inherited from phil brown! Chris is doing a fine job with this squad and a cabbage patch pitch!!! U cant win every game and a clean sheet can never be sniffed at

Bit harsh some of the comments on Wright. Both him and Yearwood struggled in the first half. They both played much better in the second. I didn't understand going 4-5-1 when Wordsworth came on, especially leaving the exhausted Fortune up front on his own. Could have easily sneaked a scrappy 1-0 with the Wordsworth chance which he should have scored. Think the mentality of the players has changed since the beginning of Powells reign. Was in a genuine fight to stay up, and it brought some real fighting performances against some good sides. Last two have been games where there has not been much to play for. Think we will finish around where we are now and hopefully Powell will be able to develop his own squad.

The sooner this season ends and we can harvest the turnips are whatever it is we are growing under that turf the better. The stupid decision to get the Walsall game on has only made things worse. Where I was in the East, the patch in front of us was sodden and in all honestly could have been called off for it, the ball was stopping still on it!

Match verdict - ****.

As much as I don't want to deny anyone a chance to play their final at roots Hall clearly the club have to rip the pitch up as soon as possible. Let's be honest who will want to play there anyway at the moment. Surely one of the semi pro clubs in the area can step in and even make some money

How many games are there left? Can we still not make playoffs then? Have some faith in the team

78 points is the maximum we can get, so basically no, in a nutshell.

Back