• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought Timlins passing was shocking again today, especially first half. I think he gave it away about 6 out of his first 9 passes, which is hard to do even for an amateur, let alone a professional. Fortune looks like he's shot his bolt. Nowhere near the player he was last season. He's also losing everything in the air and is now leaning or backing in to give an easy free kick. The plusses for me was Elvis of course who looks a fantastic prospect and had a great game. I also thought Lenny was superb as a centre back, a natural if ever he wanted to switch to that position. I was right behind that shot that Oxley knocked onto the post, it was a super save. Ranger got game minutes which will help him a lot. We are so much better when someone up front is winning his headers and the ball is sticking.

I agree, Timlin was awful; his passing really is shocking for a professional footballer. We really need better players out there. The positives, I though the defence did well and how much better was Ranger than MAF, let's hope he's fit enough to start soon.

Also Kightly is far better out wide than central

Mrsblue, I see people berate you on here an awful lot. Some called for, some not called for. I've never indulged in reacting to any of your posts because it becomes like a playground. However, I'm really surprised by your above comment! You constantly state that we sign too many old players and don't give youth a chance and yet, today we did exactly that and your unimpressed. I'm totally baffled. For someone who likes to see youth get a chance, I would have assumed that you would have relished seeing such a good performance by both Harry and Elvis. Furthermore, Dru came on and looked composed. I would say the youth system did us and Ricky Duncan proud today. Something that has to be celebrated. Somehow that has escaped your notice. Strange.

As I already stated the youngsters were far better than the experienced pros amidst a proper dire game...they did OK against a punch drunk Dale,not taking nothing away from them whatsoever.....however the experienced guys were IMO woeful.

I would have liked to see MAF stay on the field when Ranger came on. Why not have three big lads up front when Rochdale had 10 men? They had shown very little attacking threat.

Good to see the youngsters coming through successfully

Then you clearly weren't watching. But well done for coming.....

There were positives in what was a poor game, not helped by it involving two make shift teams, one of which ended up building a ten man bus.

1. Elvis. Will give PB something to think about. He never looked out of place, never looked out of his depth and played with a confidence you should expect from a 17 year old. Well done, and great to see him get the MotM award.

2. Yearwood. Looks like a real powerhouse, and whilst he may not be ready just yet, I think we have a gem on our hands.

3. Ranger. Questions answered. He is fit enough to play and he caused them all sorts of problems.

4. We got a point with a scratch team. Yeah. It was a ****ing awful game, but I think given the line up most of us would have taken that at 2.59.

5. And here something to consider. We have only lost one game in the league all season. We've played badly, defended badly, and not taken chances... but we've only lost once. A good team picks up points when it isn't playing well. I'd rather be doing that than playing brilliant and only getting draws. And yeah I know its a glass half full point of view.

Ultimately though, we still have problems all over the park. I think a lot of us (myself included) fell into the "look at who've we bought, we are going up" optimism that was generated before the season and the reality is proving to be somewhat different.

Don't think I can argue with any of that to be honest. I do think Yearwood is ready and could, as you say, be a real gem.

I could wax lyrical about Elvis. Sheer quality all round and stuck to his task superbly, putting in better crosses than McGlashan and his little bit extra enthusiasm won him the ball on more than one occasion. I really hope he keeps his place, he deserves it on merit. Lovely to see Ranger on the pitch, and we certainly looked better as an attacking force once he came on.

With the makeshift defence, PB set the rest of the team up to just support the clean sheet. Cox in midfield etc and for the majority of the first half the woeful Rochdale were looking the more likely to score. Thankfully the rash challenge which got the red card allowed us to move back to a more familiar formation, else I think we would have lost today.

The penalty, I didn't see, but it's unusual to see them given for that kind of offence. Cox's effort was like 50% of penalties in that its saved if the keeper goes the right way.

Elvis was excellent, as was Lenny and kyp looked solid enough. It was clear today what a step up Nile is from MAF. And my first look at dru, who looks a real talent.

I thought Elvis was a complete gem. Had a lovely touch on the ball and oozed confidence. I foresee great things ahead for him.

Dre came on and had a good half. Not afraid to have a go but a little rushed with his crossing perhaps? Another one with a great future.

Good to see Ranger getting some game time, looks to me like he has kept himself fit while away. Just needs to get match fit now.

Also, my son asked to go today which made my day, he came home happy so I'm happy.

Ok. Here are my observations from another failure to nail vital points.

1. Leonard. Unbelievable performance. People question his commitment but asked to do a difficult job and did it like a veteran. I get that Rochdale didn't offer much but I wonder if he could do this role for a few weeks and let Dru have a go in Midfield
2. Dru. Looked excellent when he came on. I just wished we found him more than the highly wasteful McGlashan. I think he is good enough. Certainly looks better than Timlin at the moment in that central position.
3. Ranger. 40% fit but 40% better than any other player up there. The ball stuck finally and that will be hugely important in the coming weeks. Great reception and great to have him back
4. McGlashan. So much goes through him and delivers so little. At League One can really afford a 10% cross ratio? League Two player at best for me.
5. Kightly. The most disappointing player on the park. Anonymous for first half and wasted in the second as we launched everything long.
6. Pitch. Players just having confidence sapped from them .. Not sure how we solve this one unless we adapt better than other teams. I'm guessing Rochdale mixed it up today as realised couldn't play on that pitch.
7. Rochdale. Worst Dale side I have seen in recent years. Forgot to play, kicked us all over park and targeted our 42 clearly for long balls - little did they know Elvis would have a blinder
8. Elvis. Great league debut. Didnt look out of place and would suggest Brown knows he can trust him to defend. Missed attacking threat of Demetriou though.
9. Ref. Shouted at him a lot but on reflection he gave us key decisions - we just failed to take them.
10. Clean sheet. The first of the season and maybe most important but we will face much bigger tests than that in coming weeks. As noted above think we could give Lenny another go there with maybe White. Kyprianou did well but just as he did at Ebbsfleet looked worrying when long balls came at him.
11. Moody. Well done to everyone for the collection. Proud to be Shrimper fan today
12. Oxley. Seems to have nailed the shirt. Another excellent save today
13. Cox. Just poor and ineffective. Shame as expected big things from him this season

My first game of the season and not sure what to write.
The patched up back four ( Hendrie aside , who is either injured or just way off form ) did really well , especially Elvis who was superb.
However , as RHB mentioned , this was one of the poorest sides to visit for a long time , so they really did not have a lot to compete with.
Before anyone berates me as being negative, I would suggest it isn't , just honest.
Anyway , they can only defend against what they're up against and they did really well.

Going forward , I think we were a bit too tentative at times , but cannot fault the effort of all.
Timlin didn't play well , but as always , didn't hide.

Depends how you want to play the 'stats' game.
Positive : Only lost 1 in 5 League games
Negative : Only won 1 in 5.

For me , get Wordsworth , Coker , Ranger , Kiernan , possibly Turner and a fit / confident Anton back and we will be higher / mid table , which is probably right for a side like us.

Yes , today was disappointing, and a big chance to take 3 points from weak opposition, but it didn't happen and we move on.

We have some good youngsters coming on , and mixed with the experience we have , will stand us in good stead.

I sat in the East today and some of the Anti-Brown comments were frankly ridiculous.
The man has improved us each season - still each to their own.

p.s. - the pitch ( whilst being the same for both teams ) is a huge problem IMO

I thought Elvis was a complete gem. Had a lovely touch on the ball and oozed confidence. I foresee great things ahead for him.

Dre came on and had a good half. Not afraid to have a go but a little rushed with his crossing perhaps? Another one with a great future.

Good to see Ranger getting some game time, looks to me like he has kept himself fit while away. Just needs to get match fit now.

Also, my son asked to go today which made my day, he came home happy so I'm happy.

Best match report on here so far Benfleet. Not for your match comments, as usual they were complete rubbish:winking:, but for your last sentence about your son, so pleased to see that. Long may it continue.

Still early season, injured players, unfit players, Rochdale never really had a look in after half time it was all The Blues.
Just a pity our wingers were sending balls in to near to their keeper he had a fine day just plucking them out of the air.
I just wish our keeper had that confidence and command in our box.
All in all a good game I feel if we had kept the ball on the floor alot more we may have done some damage.
I will be interested to see Ranger fully fit the guy obviously will do a lot of damage.
I think we will have to wait another 3/4 weeks I think before he starts clicking properly..

Elvis MOTM well desrved in my book.

In the words of Brucie.."Good Game Good Game" :smile:

Patched up team, clean sheet, point gained

could have been a whole lot worse

I really want to talk about Kyprianou, Bwonomo and Yearwood but it's probably already been said.

I'd have taken a point before kickoff but when you get a penalty and they get a man sent off rightfully so your expectations change as the points were there for the taking. But for the experience these kids got today I'll let it slide...

Kyprianou may breakthrough as a centre back rather than a left back and Bwonomo is an example that some players will take their chance ready or not. I felt Kane Ferdinand was the same, took his chance and everything that he still had to learn in his stride until he left, and that support was gone. Yearwood played in a role I was expecting Kightly to play in my team selection [4-5-1]. I felt we would've been more creative that was albeit with one striker upfront.

I thought the kids did very well and it was the experienced campaigners who let us down. Poor games from Cox, Kightly, MAF, Timlin & Macca

Lenny however, looked a natural at the back

Also, today's clean sheet shows you don't need to have experience, you don't even need to be a centre back.

You just need to be mobile. Sorry Anton.

Yearwood, Kyprianou and Bwomono will give us good reason to be proud at least from the youth guys today. I see no reason why in a year or two they could become regulars.

Wow, I don't know what some people wanted, but for a patched up team, I thought today was great to watch - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Meeting Alan Moody beforehand, what a privilege to help present the cheque for monies raised - massive credit to Suffolk Shrimper for all his hard work steering this campaign. The shock at seeing such a makeshift defence in reality on the team sheet. Pantomime villain opposition chopping, clothes lining, two footed challenges and lunges. Lots of abuse for the Rochdale keeper who couldn't kick a ball in play for toffee, yet managed to pluck anything close to him in the air with ease. A missed penalty. Cracking performances from our two youngest players. A real captain's performance from an out of position Lenny - there seems to be no position this young man can't play...and yet people seemed to think he showed no interest and his head wasn't right very recently. The return of the prodigal son, Nile Ranger (hmmm..., yes, those muscles were really wasted during his incarceration, weren't they?!). A lino who joined in the banter with the West and then flicked two fingers at the fans!

I had that feeling of anticipation and expectation from when Nile came on, that one that makes your chest feel a bit fluttery as if anything could happen - not had that in a while watching a game. We deserved a win, it was a shame we didn't get it.

Oxley - 7.5, felt the responsibility of the defence in front of him and was assured and worked well supporting them
Bwomono - 8, agreed that he probably deserved the MOTM, he had a great game. A couple of his early challenges were a tad wild but once he settled, the lad did great
Leonard - 9, thought he had an excellent game, we really need to think about breaking the bank to try and get him to accept a new contract. Best player we've had at Roots Hall for many years in my honest opinion
Kyprianou - 7.5, thought he looked calm and composed, authoritative and decisive with his heading, surprised some marked him down
Hendrie - 7, he was limping from quite early on, before the challenge that left him on the floor. I like him, I don't know quite why he seems to be the fall guy for so many this year - is it just because he's not Ben Coker?
Timlin - 6, passing is atrocious, and I'm not sure why he went back to taking corners both sides after McLaughlin went off - Kightly's were better
McGlashan - 6.5, great pace, such a threat when he's running with the ball, just needs to get the ball in more accurately
Kightly - 6, lost in the middle, his strength is definitely on the wing
McLaughlin - 7, thought he did ok, got absolute clobbered a couple of the times - and was definitely clotheslined! Cracking corner delivery
Cox - 7, was like a protective father coming so deep to make sure his poor boys at the back were protected! Worked tirelessly - awful penalty though
Fortune - 6.5, wasn't getting a lot of help from the officials, one superb run , ball didn't seem to stick with him as much as normal

Subs:
Ranger for Fortune - 7.5, welcome back Nile, a threat in the air up front, and also, pretty useful defensively. Made a proper nuisance of himself. A fit Nile will sort Cox's drought and confidence out without any shadow of a doubt
Yearwood for Hendrie - 7.5, came on and acquitted himself well
Robinson for McLaughlin - 7, worked well on the wing

Didn't like Rochdale's tactics which seemed to be to clobber our players, and didn't much like the ref, who I thought allowed some really poor challenges to go without punishment. Oh, and can one of our resident experts please explain how, when the play was stopped with us on the attack, for a head injury to one of their players, it was restarted with a dropped ball for them to kick back to Oxley?

Onward and upwards, Woody is hoping to play in the game Monday, with Ranger. Get these two with some game time and we can look forwards. And clean sheets are always welcome!

. The return of the prodigal son, Nile Ranger (hmmm..., yes, those muscles were really wasted during his incarceration, weren't they?!).
I had that feeling of anticipation and expectation from when Nile came on, that one that makes your chest feel a bit fluttery as if anything could happen - not had that in a while watching a game.

Its ok neither have I.

I'm all for women coming along to football but they do look at things from a different perspective than us lads

Back