• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Salford City

A highly competitive game which was very similar to the Bolton match, except crucially we didn't concede late on when Salford put the pressure on.
Two good chances for Acquah in the first half, the second of which he had to do better for me. Second half we found it tougher going and never really threatened. Once Akinola and Ranger went off it was all hands to the pump.
Credit to young Harry Seadon for a crucial save in the second half.
Standouts for me were White, Hobson and Dieng.
The latter of the three once again proving me wrong to doubt his appetite for a relegation scrap earlier on this season.
Despite being slightly frustrated that we didn't create more, this was a good point against a good side, made to look even better following the news of defeats for both Barrow and Grimsby.
Onto another extremely tough trip to Cheltenham on Tuesday night where I would imagine we could see quite a changed line up given the injuries and fatigue that must be effecting some players after such a heavy schedule.

Just a couple of points really.
We would have lost that a couple of months back.
RHF plays better on better pitches.
Hope Olyinka is near fit enough, as he might be our goal threat.
Greg Halford and Emile Aqua up top it is next match then. ( and that may not be a bad thing for Emile)

I think the most important thing from todays game is we didn't lose. Keep this mentality and we will be ok. Getting out of our position is going to be a long hard slog. At this stage I'm happy to take 22nd position at the end of the season. The longer we keep picking up points be 1 or 3 the more we draw other teams into the battle. The next ten games are going to be crucial.

Very good point. Made better by Grimsby and Barrow losing too. Oh, and Colchester are currently 2 down at HT to FGR

Relieved to have got a point after losing Oxley before the game then Bass and Akinola during it .. plus Ranger of course. I guess without those enforced changes Holmes would have been given 15 minutes. That pitch is lethal, so many players losing their footing as they kicked the ball. Can we apply to play all our remaining games away from home?

When the team with the meanest defence comes up against the team with the most impotent attack, I reckon 0-0 was a decent result for us. Even moneybags Salford rely on a 36 year old journey man striker who has seen better days. There just aren’t any young guns around - just check out the leading goal scorers still in this division- apart from Mullin most of them are either pushing 30 or older.

Our pitch is dreadful even after a dry week - the top still keeps giving way - no wonder there are so many strains.

I thought Harry earned us a point and did excellently. Bit of a dilemma really - we need an emergency loan otherwise it’s Harry and Callum Taylor. So if you get an emergency loan you can’t not play him.

McCormack is becoming a bit of an embarrassment seemingly intent on taking the man rather than the ball and even if he gets the ball wants to take the man as well.

Shame about Nile - he is so good in the air.

I imagine that Holmes didn’t come on because Reeco ended up doing a reasonable job on Ashley Hunter who is probably one of the top ten players in this league. However it did mean we had 9 defenders and no outlet. We need Olayinka fit for next week.

Macca is looking a bit of a liability. He will only last 5 games in a row before he gets a ban for 5 yellows. Yes, he ruffles feathers but he has no speed any more and throwing yourself to the ground isn’t always going to win a fee kick

Thought the FGR commentators were saying on Wed night that we've now reached the stage of the season where you need 10 yellows to get a suspension?

When the team with the meanest defence comes up against the team with the most impotent attack, I reckon 0-0 was a decent result for us. Even moneybags Salford rely on a 36 year old journey man striker who has seen better days. There just aren’t any young guns around - just check out the leading goal scorers still in this division- apart from Mullin most of them are either pushing 30 or older.

Our pitch is dreadful even after a dry week - the top still keeps giving way - no wonder there are so many strains.

I thought Harry earned us a point and did excellently. Bit of a dilemma really - we need an emergency loan otherwise it’s Harry and Callum Taylor. So if you get an emergency loan you can’t not play him.

McCormack is becoming a bit of an embarrassment seemingly intent on taking the man rather than the ball and even if he gets the ball wants to take the man as well.

Shame about Nile - he is so good in the air.

I imagine that Holmes didn’t come on because Reeco ended up doing a reasonable job on Ashley Hunter who is probably one of the top ten players in this league. However it did mean we had 9 defenders and no outlet. We need Olayinka fit for next week.
Hence my comment on the last game 'it's like letting a pitbull of the lead when he comes on'

I thought we were solid and definitely deserved a point. Emile is not an instinctive striker - we needed one of his chances to go in, though I think their keeper might have saved them from Hobson in the first half. RHF proving to be a one-foot pony, easily contained by defenders. I was ready to bemoan the return of Nile, but I give him credit for getting up and winning some ball in the air - looked strong and I was sorry to see him go off. Silly bookings, again. Macca needs to stop wanting to live on his reputation as hard man - we'll never win if we go down to 10 men. Pleased for Seadon, who took his chance and made a couple of decisive saves, as well as looking confident in the air and in his box. Can anyone tell me why Elvis continues to aim at teammates faces when he takes a short throw in - the ball we lose because of his spacky throws is endless. We've put in good performances last few games against opponents we were expected to lose easily to - encouraging to say the least. COYB!

Why wasn't Ricky Holmes used to inject some kind of threat in the opposition half?

Game was calling out for Holmes. The one flare player we have but yet to see how he can impact games as played what 20 mins in three games. Reeco had a nightmare yet stayed on and all the time Holmes is warming the bench

Back