• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Salford City

This should have been the result against Bolton. Salford and Bolton quite similar, both keeping the ball very well and working our midfield hard. The difference really was in goal where we didnt throw away the point.
Gutsy, tough game, the boys put in a lot of hard work and looked a bit jaded after Tuesday's victory.
So, a combination of jaded players and a possession minded opposition, meant just like Bolton, we failed to support our lone striker enough. But still had the best chances, so fair play to the boys.
Made a nice change to see Grim and wheelBarrow lose today, long may they continue to take a stuffing.
I thought Elvis played out of his skin, yes a few lapses of control but oh the desire ! But how can he NOT enjoy playing next to the master , White, and his apprentice Hobbo ?
If you can't see that John White was immense today, Wednesay, and Bolton , i suggest you keep an eye out for him next game. Whitey my old son, i doth my cap.
I miss Kev Maher, lets hope JW becomes part of the Roots Hall coaching team one day, because if we stay up, a large part will be down to him, i never thought he was THIS good. Stuff of legends.

Last edited:
I’d say a good point gained, particularly given the recent positive results against opposition towards the top of the table. Salford looked good, not exceptional, but certainly competent compared to a lot of sides we’ve faced this season.

Considering it was virtually the same eleven that played on Wednesday, it was always going to be difficult to replicate that energy in the final third but with that said it would be harsh to criticise MM’s team selection. Ultimately the side played so well against Forest Green that as a manager you want to continue that momentum, yet at the same time you don’t really know until you are into the game whether the players have got the energy to replicate that performance again in such a short space of time. Ultimately I think MM made the right choice, as frankly the players that started had earned the right to keep the shirt and it wouldn’t have done much for morale to drop anyone. Equally, the players who missed out on Wednesday could hardly complain given the quality of performance and result against FGR.

As it was, the team didn’t look as threatening in the final third but a solid and resilient performance nonetheless.

I feel a special mention is necessary for Emile Acquah and Harry Seaden too. Don’t get me wrong - I realise Emile isn’t necessarily our long term goalscoring solution, however I thought he was excellent on Wednesday and again today. He appears to have learnt how to use his physique properly and creates a lot of problems. Will he score lots of goals? No, perhaps as he develops he will get 8-10 goals per season. However, I see a player there who occupies to centre halves and creates space for our pacey wide players to drive one on one against the full backs. If he can develop his finishing and first touch he will make a career for himself in the game, and I’d like to see him continue his development with us.

As for Harry, for a 19 year old lad to come on and produce the performance he did after the disappointment of not getting his chance to start the game was impressive. I think he’s shown a lot of maturity and the save from Hendersons close range shot was exceptional.

I think Tuesday would be the right time to utilise the newly assembled options in the squad to give the team a bit of renewed energy following a series of tough matches. Personally, I’d bring Holmes in for Akinola who may be injured anyway, but either way has played a lot of matches in a short space of time. I’d also do the same on the other wing - ANG in for Hackett-Fairchild, who I feel has put in some serious mileage in the last few games and could do with a breather before Oldham next Saturday.

It’ll be interesting to see what MM does with the two holding players - Dieng has been excellent and KT has done well too, but I can see JD coming in to partner Dieng on Tuesday just to freshen things up.

All I see is a lumbering, can’t jump, no confidence youngster that is clearly not good enough. All very well everyone hiding the truth on here but as I said, Ranger straight away looked like a player and Emile doesn’t. Goodship probably doesn’t either, we’ve got a decent chance to get out of it now....not with him up front. Tuesday was wonder goals, today our striker missed two sitters....either try something else or get in proper strikers, it is fairly important at this stage!
Maybe MM sees someone who best executes his game plan. We all have our opinions but his is the only one that counts.

Game was calling out for Holmes. The one flare player we have but yet to see how he can impact games as played what 20 mins in three games. Reeco had a nightmare yet stayed on and all the time Holmes is warming the bench

Its getting tedious, every man and his dog knows RHF will turn inside once he gets anywhere near the penalty box. So easy to defend against.

Holmes needs to be used now.

I’d say a good point gained, particularly given the recent positive results against opposition towards the top of the table. Salford looked good, not exceptional, but certainly competent compared to a lot of sides we’ve faced this season.

Considering it was virtually the same eleven that played on Wednesday, it was always going to be difficult to replicate that energy in the final third but with that said it would be harsh to criticise MM’s team selection. Ultimately the side played so well against Forest Green that as a manager you want to continue that momentum, yet at the same time you don’t really know until you are into the game whether the players have got the energy to replicate that performance again in such a short space of time. Ultimately I think MM made the right choice, as frankly the players that started had earned the right to keep the shirt and it wouldn’t have done much for morale to drop anyone. Equally, the players who missed out on Wednesday could hardly complain given the quality of performance and result against FGR.

As it was, the team didn’t look as threatening in the final third but a solid and resilient performance nonetheless.

I feel a special mention is necessary for Emile Acquah and Harry Seaden too. Don’t get me wrong - I realise Emile isn’t necessarily our long term goalscoring solution, however I thought he was excellent on Wednesday and again today. He appears to have learnt how to use his physique properly and creates a lot of problems. Will he score lots of goals? No, perhaps as he develops he will get 8-10 goals per season. However, I see a player there who occupies to centre halves and creates space for our pacey wide players to drive one on one against the full backs. If he can develop his finishing and first touch he will make a career for himself in the game, and I’d like to see him continue his development with us.

As for Harry, for a 19 year old lad to come on and produce the performance he did after the disappointment of not getting his chance to start the game was impressive. I think he’s shown a lot of maturity and the save from Hendersons close range shot was exceptional.

I think Tuesday would be the right time to utilise the newly assembled options in the squad to give the team a bit of renewed energy following a series of tough matches. Personally, I’d bring Holmes in for Akinola who may be injured anyway, but either way has played a lot of matches in a short space of time. I’d also do the same on the other wing - ANG in for Hackett-Fairchild, who I feel has put in some serious mileage in the last few games and could do with a breather before Oldham next Saturday.

It’ll be interesting to see what MM does with the two holding players - Dieng has been excellent and KT has done well too, but I can see JD coming in to partner Dieng on Tuesday just to freshen things up.
Good post. Yes we did look a bit jaded yesterday. Not unreasonable considering the effort put in at FGR less than three days earlier.
Would say that although ANG and JD are options for Tuesday, there are other options available. It is time to take advantage of what is now not an inconsiderably sized squad.
Although some of these players have been injured or ill, I am thinking
Olayinka, Egbri, Mellis, Walsh, Goodship and Halford.
It may be one or two of these are not yet ready for 90 minutes, but I don't think any of them even made the bench yesterday.

I thought that we gave a gritty and determined performance against a very good Salford side. Definitely a point gained, as i was concerned that Wednesdays game would have taken too much out of us. That said, MM chose not to change a winning side, for very good reason! We were able to neutralise any goal threats from them, and where we we were tested, John White was immense, as always. This man is like a good cheese, getting better and better as he has matured - but quietly getting on with it, and for a long time no one has noticed just how good he is!

It wasnt a pretty watch yesterday, but it was effective and it was good to see us finally being strong and more consistently competitive. Find it difficult to rate players, because you can't get the full picture from the ifollow coverage. However, some mentions.

Bass - looked slightly nervy at the start, unsurprising as he is 22 and only arrived late on friday! Made some good decisions, but got clattered a couple of times and his body language changed, no doubt he was hurting and couldn't continue. Shame, as he is highly regarded.

Seadon - every credit to this young man. He must have been disappointed not being named in the starting line up, but when called on, he was equal to the challenge and made his presence felt with a couple of super saves, which will do his confidence the world of good. I still think bringing in someone with more experience to cover during our relegation battle is the right thing to do. MM is trying to protect the lad, and bring him on, so throwing him in to the lions den with so much at stake is not the best way to develop him.

The back 4. Already mentioned JW. Elvis, Hobson and Clifford did really well against the onslaught held the line well and battled hard, keeping the pressure off Bass / Seadon.

Midfield. Dieng, probably MOM (most visible on ifollow). Ferguson - not quite as effective goal-bound, going to be a huge player for us over the next couple of months. Reeco - still a bit of a one trick pony, but despite that, had a few moments where he looked really threatening and he tracked back well and put in a good defensive shift. KT looked solid, but not quite to his usual standard.

Up top - Akinola, massive loss when he went off. Hope he recovers quickly as he is fast becoming a crucial part of the side. Acqah - built on Wednesday's super performance, and is learning and improving game by game. His positioning and hold up play was good yesterday, and he is using his size and strength more effectively now. The two chances he had were not clear cut, both difficult balls in to him. Given time he will come good, and be a consistent 10 goal a season man, i am convinced of that!

Subs - Macca. Beautiful placement of that volley straight into the flats behind the South Upper. Gold dust, that really made me smile ? in fairness, his grit and aggression really add something, you cant deny he is an asset, and acceping he will get booked and suspended regularly, i would still want him in our side rather than in the opposition! ANG, didnt make as much of an impact as you would hope, but he gave their defence something else to think about. JD, not on that long, probably not in the plan for him to come on. Ranger - the prodigal son returned. To be fair, he looked in good shape, and definitely hasnt lost his aerial presence and ability to cause problems. It was always a risk that he would pick up an injury. I thought initially he had taken a kick in the crown jewels, but it did look like a groin problem when he hobbled off. I hope that his model professional attitude prevails and he can knuckle down and get back quickly.

Which brings me to another issue for the club to sort out. Our terrible injury blight seems to stem back to Phil Browns idea of having a cabbage patch pitch, and the loss of our brilliant old groundsman. That pitch does seem to be a mess, and it cuts up badly, gives way and i think is the reason why we have seen so many injuries over the last 2-3 years.

It was definitely a point gained and should bolster our confidence further before our difficult fixture at Cheltenham on Tuesday evening. We should be very grateful to both JW and Dieng who were both immense. Hobson too had a good game although his passing left a little to be desired. All three need lots of Radox baths and soothing balms over the next couple of days to ensure that they are ready to go again on Tuesday because we will be under constant attack from a good footballing side. If Macca starts he will be sent off so he will again need to come on after 60 minutes or so. Up front Acquah had a good game and it was such a shame that he couldn't take one of his two chances. Too often he was on his own though partly because RHF was forced to chase back and defend (which he did well) and partly because Akinola likes to be a little behind the front man, and he had been caught by an early tackle too. Ferguson was quieter but had one more searing shot. Keep firing them in Nathan.

Overall it was a battling performance and Bolton's last gasp (and apparently offside) goal against an equally battling Barrow side was the icing on the cake for us.

I thought that we gave a gritty and determined performance against a very good Salford side. Definitely a point gained, as i was concerned that Wednesdays game would have taken too much out of us. That said, MM chose not to change a winning side, for very good reason! We were able to neutralise any goal threats from them, and where we we were tested, John White was immense, as always. This man is like a good cheese, getting better and better as he has matured - but quietly getting on with it, and for a long time no one has noticed just how good he is!

It wasnt a pretty watch yesterday, but it was effective and it was good to see us finally being strong and more consistently competitive. Find it difficult to rate players, because you can't get the full picture from the ifollow coverage. However, some mentions.

Bass - looked slightly nervy at the start, unsurprising as he is 22 and only arrived late on friday! Made some good decisions, but got clattered a couple of times and his body language changed, no doubt he was hurting and couldn't continue. Shame, as he is highly regarded.

Seadon - every credit to this young man. He must have been disappointed not being named in the starting line up, but when called on, he was equal to the challenge and made his presence felt with a couple of super saves, which will do his confidence the world of good. I still think bringing in someone with more experience to cover during our relegation battle is the right thing to do. MM is trying to protect the lad, and bring him on, so throwing him in to the lions den with so much at stake is not the best way to develop him.

The back 4. Already mentioned JW. Elvis, Hobson and Clifford did really well against the onslaught held the line well and battled hard, keeping the pressure off Bass / Seadon.

Midfield. Dieng, probably MOM (most visible on ifollow). Ferguson - not quite as effective goal-bound, going to be a huge player for us over the next couple of months. Reeco - still a bit of a one trick pony, but despite that, had a few moments where he looked really threatening and he tracked back well and put in a good defensive shift. KT looked solid, but not quite to his usual standard.

Up top - Akinola, massive loss when he went off. Hope he recovers quickly as he is fast becoming a crucial part of the side. Acqah - built on Wednesday's super performance, and is learning and improving game by game. His positioning and hold up play was good yesterday, and he is using his size and strength more effectively now. The two chances he had were not clear cut, both difficult balls in to him. Given time he will come good, and be a consistent 10 goal a season man, i am convinced of that!

Subs - Macca. Beautiful placement of that volley straight into the flats behind the South Upper. Gold dust, that really made me smile ? in fairness, his grit and aggression really add something, you cant deny he is an asset, and acceping he will get booked and suspended regularly, i would still want him in our side rather than in the opposition! ANG, didnt make as much of an impact as you would hope, but he gave their defence something else to think about. JD, not on that long, probably not in the plan for him to come on. Ranger - the prodigal son returned. To be fair, he looked in good shape, and definitely hasnt lost his aerial presence and ability to cause problems. It was always a risk that he would pick up an injury. I thought initially he had taken a kick in the crown jewels, but it did look like a groin problem when he hobbled off. I hope that his model professional attitude prevails and he can knuckle down and get back quickly.

Which brings me to another issue for the club to sort out. Our terrible injury blight seems to stem back to Phil Browns idea of having a cabbage patch pitch, and the loss of our brilliant old groundsman. That pitch does seem to be a mess, and it cuts up badly, gives way and i think is the reason why we have seen so many injuries over the last 2-3 years.

Thats certainly a new one to add to the list. The problems of why the pitch cut up that season are well listed on here. It has also been relayed since then at great expense. You may have noticed how well visiting teams used it to their advantage during our record runs of home defeats.

Lots of posts about the quality of L2 but even good teams look poor on our pitch The quality of our shooting and final ball was shockingly poor yesterday. we have some decent nippy players but they cant get any momentum on that pitch. Dieng's goal at FGR could never happen on that pitch....Not the build up or the clean sweep finish with a nice side foot off a good surface.

Home games are going to be ugly affairs and we need to play a more long ball game. Lots are repeating the same about about Acquah but the game plan is clearly for him not to flick it on as no one runs beyond him. He is constantly trying to back into his man to try and bring down rather than on. With a defensive CM and Taylor not in the Lenny/Atkinson/Olayinka, support roll from midfield. Then some of Emiles good work is wasted and unoticed by the usual suspects on here.

The alternative is of course Ranger because his speciality is flick ons. You wont be seeing to much of him for a while because groins are a horrible injury/strain. For those of you that have had them you will remember how you really don't trust it even when your back. They can go again just kicking the ball.

Ranger was clearly not even 30 minute fit. I watched him train last time he was here. Needless to say he was coasting and taking the P. The idea is to push yourself on long sprints, thats what improves your recovery rate....That was clearly non existent yesterday......Exactly what i expected.

Simpson is not the answer for games at RH. So get used to Emile we are going to need him and the first thing his team mates need to do is get in the refs ear. Not after the event when its to late, i mean as the ball is in the air and all of us can see the foul comming.

Phil Brown getting blamed for the state of our pitch on Saturday now. I think I have heard it all.

Awful game....IFollow glitchy as hell

Defence looked strong....complete lack of creativity upfront!

I was going to ask on my IPad the game views fine but on the TV over the internet keeps glitching. But you can’t do Airplay....have IFollow disabled Airplay?

Yes you can’t use AirPlay from iPhone or IPad. You can screen mirror from laptop but as you said, it must come from a different source on laptop because quality is never as good for some reason.

I’ve watched the last two matches on my laptop and it’s been fine, no issues at all. I prefer to have Sky Sports News on the big screen (volume down, obviously).

Good result that, but as said above, I do think it's needs freshening up for Tuesday. A least our bench is much stronger now. KT came off for Macca on 57, so he may be good to start (assuming he didn't get a knock). ANG came on for Akinola on 58 mins, so he could be ok aswell. I'd def give Holmes a start for RHF, though and possibly Demo.

I’d start Halford because of Cheltenham’s giants, similarly I wouldn’t play dieng up front , I would have him protecting the back four with his height
Agree about Dieng, his place imo is sitting just in front of defence, he has really shown to me of late that he has a very good eye for a long pass. I hope that side of his game continues, and the front 3 work on their runs off the ball.

As for halford, he wouldnt even make the bench for me now tbh. Was a desperation signing imo and he looks a liability with his lack of speed.

Agree about Dieng, his place imo is sitting just in front of defence, he has really shown to me of late that he has a very good eye for a long pass. I hope that side of his game continues, and the front 3 work on their runs off the ball.

As for halford, he wouldnt even make the bench for me now tbh. Was a desperation signing imo and he looks a liability with his lack of speed.

I thought Halford was a Right Back ? I'm not sure why we play him up top. Is it me ?

Problem you would have with halford up top is he just stands their like a statue and doesn't do much. Would rather have him as back up defender.

Back